Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 04-14-2021, 10:32 AM   #1
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
Flex Guard Triple Kit for the kitchen slide services

I just ordered a replacement Lippert 1346291 Flex Guard Triple Kit for the kitchen slide. Are these gadgets that puny? Looking for one it appears that its brrn a regular maintenance item and something that fails on a regular basis.

I can see why this one failed - the solid mounted bracket is is mounted so that there is way too much 'kink' at the mount which is parallel to the frame. Something like a 30-45 degree offset would (WILL!) correct that. The other two are fine with the brackets mounted stress free

2019 F150SC XLT SE Sport,w/full tow package
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 01:51 PM   #2
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
I just had to replace that support device under our kitchen slide last year. I’m thinking the extra weight with the propane line is enough added stress that caused the failure. I guess eight years of going in and out flexing and holding that weight wasn’t really too bad, and it wasn’t too difficult to replace.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 04:22 PM   #3
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
I didn't realize what you were referring to until I Googled it. That used to be a common problem where it would break near where it is fastened to the slide out. In fact mine broke just two weeks ago (after 11 years). Many if us just use a hinge and connect the two ends with it. That solves the problem is kinking which a replacement will also succumb to at some point. Plus it is an easy fix.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 06:25 PM   #4
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
Somewhere here I have seen a pic showing the hinge fix. It has not happened to me yet but the hinge fix is a good idea.
Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 07:29 PM   #5
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
I am sure there are pictures of the hinge mod, but rather than Searching for them, here is mine. An inexpensive 2" hinge and some pop rivets and shazam you are back in business. Admittedly not the best picture with everything in the way but you can get the idea.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Hinge Pic.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	183.8 KB
ID:	8918

Old 04-15-2021, 04:58 AM   #6
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl n Susan View Post
I am sure there are pictures of the hinge mod, but rather than Searching for them, here is mine. An inexpensive 2" hinge and some pop rivets and shazam you are back in business. Admittedly not the best picture with everything in the way but you can get the idea.

Carl - the break on ours is at the other end and appears to be a bit different configuration then what you are picturing. Even so, I did consider the low buck hinge fix as a repair vs the $35 OE LCI junk and reposition the bracket for a less severe angle. To drill it on ours for the hinge would also need to pull it down too anyhow, with the hinge would have been difficult as the line holder gadgets nay have been difficult to move around.
The hinge is a good fix though
Old 04-15-2021, 09:13 AM   #7
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
I haven't seen a break at the coach side, always at the slide out side. You are indeed unlucky.

Old 04-16-2021, 07:18 AM   #8
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl n Susan View Post
I haven't seen a break at the coach side, always at the slide out side. You are indeed unlucky.

The story of my life - nothing seems to be 'standard' or what others experience.
Old 05-02-2021, 11:24 AM   #9
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
Did my new Flex Guard installation. Happy that I bought a new one as the existing literally shattered in several pieces.

The new flex element for sure is not a premium piece either. Lippert rolled it so tightly and zip tied it so that I had to soak it in near boiling water to kinda straighten. They also have drilled two sets of 6 mounting holes. The outer one was fine, the inner set already showed signs of distress from the too tight rolling and where ours broke. Neither set of holes were used by Keystone. Keystone instead drilled three tiny holes with screws (1"#6 probably) though did use a piece of aluminum scrap as a backer.

After trimming the flex element to length using the broken pieces as a gauge, drilled new holes in the right place. I also used the 1/4" self drill screws LCI supplied.

Those 6 unused and distressed holes were reinforced with a piece of 1/8"x 3/4" luminum, 1/4"-20x3/4" bolts and fender washers.

The existing cable and hose separators were slipped off the broken flex and sild on the new. The supplied/new bracket swere not used either as the existing were fine.

The hinge repair method may work for some though not in my case with the brittle flex piece.

Of course, I did NOT take photos as I was trying to race a rain shower. I won! It is now raining.