Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MONTANA OWNERS CLUB COMMUNITY > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-22-2022, 12:19 AM   #1
KausalityKid
Established Member

M.O.C. #30392
I'm terrfied! I don't want to screw this up. Need friendly advice

I am so new to this that RV's for sale actually shiver as I walk by them. I swear I heard one howl, 'I'm a bad, bad RV.'

I will put right up front what I could use any advice/knowledge/opinions on, and then give the back story or else you'll fall asleep. I have not owned, nor have I driven, or camped/lived in a fifth wheel ever. I know one of the very first questions will be, 'How are you going to use it?' or something similar. That's also part of the back story.

I have been searching for several months and limiting my searches to, at the very most, 200 miles near me, but usually just 150. My general search filters are; used, fifth wheel, toy hauler, 2016 or later. The following used Montana - I've been hoping to find a Keystone Montana or a Grand Design - grabbed my attention because of the floor plan. The bedroom is in the back and the floorplan said, 'garage underneath', WTF. The biggest problem I have with toy haulers is the lack of living space. I’m sure that’s not an unusual sentiment, but if you want to bring your toys you have to give up something. The pictures posted for it never show what they call the garage. I did find a couple of nice videos, and one I will include the URL to that shows exactly what the garage is. The reason I want a toy hauler is that I want to be able to bring along an ATV and some additional equipment. So I don’t need a 13 foot garage, but I do need something and this looks like it might be it. I have not seen a floor plan like this in the several months I have been searching. So what I’d like to know is, does anyone have any experience with this floorplan or model? If so, what did you like what didn’t you like. I will also gladly take advice or opinions from Montana owners in general, inexperience with this model doesn’t make what you have to offer any less valuable.

Model: 2019 MONTANA HIGH COUNTRY 381TH

Listed at: Listing at rvtrader
Short Video walkthrough:

Okay, some off the back story and what I'll be doing with it, my evil plan to dominate.... Uh sorry. I get carried away sometimes. First, what am I going to pull it with? Long, long story short; 3 months ago I was able to score a 2019 Dodge Ram 3500 Laramie with all the bells and whistles and then some. It is a dully and has the HO package and will tow 30,000 lbs. With 1,000 lbs. of torque with 21K milage for, I'm ashamed to post how little I paid for it. Let's just say I found a deal just as I was about too give up. So, I believe I can tow this fine.
I have been my mother's caretaker for 6 years, and turned 60 a few months ago. Fortunately, because of my career choice i was able to retire at 54. She was diagnosed with a rare form of inoperable pancreatic cancer, and was doing so well we would forget she had cancer. Then in February of last year we found out the hard way that she was in end stage renal renal failure at stage 5. It has been a tough year as her body has been systematically shutting down. One of the reasons I grabbed the truck and have feverishly been looking for the right RV is because she would like to see some national parks while she had the time. I don't believe that time will be available, but my intention all along was to get a fifth wheel and travel the national parks, do stand-up comedy wherever I could, prospect for gold (just a hobby), and in general have some life again. I'm single, have no children, have a house that is paid for, income, and a dog (he's important). I named my dog Cobain because I know exactly how I'm putting him down when the time comes. I'm just kidding. Didn't you see the 'I do stand-up comedy' part?

Back to the RV. If you've looked at it, I'm not paying what there asking, I only put a 1k deposit to hold it until I can think it out. I'm going to hire an inspector. The RV doesn't have a generator so that's got to be discussed. I sold cars when I was starting lot in life. I know this game and if I don't get the prices I want I'll walk away. They are already trying to game me.

My adventures will be chronicled under the title, 'The road best traveled.' I'm sure that's not original even though I just came up with it.
KausalityKid is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
high country, montana 381th