Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 01-28-2013, 09:40 AM   #1
bandit
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #12000
Instuctions on Removal of Graphics

Keystone has sent me the full graphic package for my 2007 2955RL. The decals were sent in at least 15 boxes via fed-ex but I only need to replace the front and front sides. Looks to me like they would all have fit in two or three boxes and there are no instructions. I need removal and installation advice. Any help will be very much appreciated. Thanks

bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 09:54 AM   #2
cdaniels
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7380
First off go to the boat store or on line and get plastic scrapers just like razor blades but they are plastic. They work great. you can change them just like razor blades when they get dull. You need to do it when the sun is on the graphic about 70 degrees. We used a hair dryer and heated up the graphic and peeled the graphic off in shreds with your fingers. This just takes off the graphic. The glue remains. We then used goof off and sprayed it on let it sit for about 30 min. and then used the plastic scrapers. We only took off the front cap and it took about 3 hrs total 1 person. After it was finished we cleaned it with alcohol. Then soap and water. We paid to have it put back on. So far so good. Keeping our fingers crossed. I am sure others will be on here with perhaps different tricks but this worked well for us. Good luck! It is not an easy job but looks much better when done. Hopefully for a while afterwards.
cdaniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 02:40 PM   #3
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Someone posted a picture on rv.net a year or two ago of him removing one of his large graphics with a wallpaper steamer. Showed it just lifting up and off as it was steamed. One picture and him saying how easy it was. Don't know if it really worked that easy or not, but it looked like it would be worth a try.
Wallpaper steamers are pretty inexpensive at Home Depot, something like $50 I think. Don't remember anyone here saying they have tried that.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 03:38 PM   #4
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
I don't know how well this will work, sounds good
http://www.harborfreight.com/hot-bla...ver-65057.html
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 04:33 PM   #5
c214dick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8160
We used the wall paper steamer after trying the heat gun approach. The heat gun is more labor intensive as you have small pieces to deal with. The steamer allows larger pieces with little shredding to be removed. There will be some difficuly with the edges but once you get it started it goes pretty well. Keep the steamer moving slowly while you peel the graphic off. I used acetone to clean off the adhesive because it works quicker than goo gone. I also used the blue industrial paper towels with the acetone because they hold up real well. The plastic scraper is a must to have. After the adhesive is off wipe it down with rubbing alcohol. There are a number of posts in the archives regarding the removal and installation of the graphics. If you have any more specific questions, send me a pm.
c214dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 05:36 AM   #6
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
A heat gun (not a hair dryer) worked well for us. Once you get the hang of how much heat and how fast to move it ... most graphics come off in large pieces ... however the steamer seems better yet. If you've never installed graphics especially large ones ... read up on it before you start in ... or pay to have it done. Use a spray bottle with a couple of drops of dish soap (wet method) Also DO NOT remove the entire backing off any decal all at once ... instead use the "Hinge Method". Not all small bubbles will work out the first day ... most will self disappear in a few days (vinyl is porous)... others will need a small prick by a sharp needle. By not heeding any of the above ... you will acquire a new vocabulary all in one afternoon.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 07:07 AM   #7
c214dick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8160
I did use a heat gun and found the heat concentration to be too hot for my sensitive, pudgy digits. I kept having problems with the pieces tearing and shredding. Once I switched to the steamer I did not experience the same problems. HOWEVER, the steam gets pretty hot also but I think with the decal being wet and warm it retained some pliability rather than the dryness associated with the heat gun. Your right on about the application of decals as you are the "man", dieselguy, who guided me when I experienced problems installing my decals. Either way, heat gun, hair dryer or steamer it's a long process.
c214dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 04:07 PM   #8
shovelhead86
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10985
I used a hair dryer and metal putty knives. Of coarse the glue remained. I tried half dozen different removers and finally used laquer thinner to cut the glue. Wet it with the thinner and a rag and scrape it off with the putty knife before it evaporates. It did not hurt the gel coat at all. I did all the decals and had a body shop replace them. All is well now.
shovelhead86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 01:35 PM   #9
Kandharry
Established Member

M.O.C. #8304
Bandit, Removal of the glue is the biggest PITA facing you. After 2 years of trying various suggestions, here and elswhere while the decals got progressivly worse until they were an embarassment I was recently turned on to Kent Acrysol spray solvent (P60170).
Works good and relatively easy.
The $$$ for decal removal is high so if you can get the old ones off having the new ones professionally installed is relatively cheap.
Keystone furnished the replacements but next time they come off
they're staying off.
Good Luck
Kandharry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 06:06 PM   #10
brian ayerst
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8155
I see bandit received a full decal package from Montana, was this covered for his 2007 or was there a cost involved, am interested as I have a 2008 that is getting really bad, not very good advertising for Montana,
brian ayerst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 07:47 PM   #11
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7445
Lucky Bandit. We are NOT getting a complete set of graphics to replace the badly peeling ones on our 2007 Montana. Oh, did I forget to mention that the ones now peeling are the replacements for the original graphics, which started peeling before our rig was two years old?

To be continued . . .

Carolyn
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 03:04 PM   #12
sailer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6977
Nice truck .It matches my 2011 , the graphice s stay on the truck but not the tana,,sailer
sailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 03:46 PM   #13
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bandit

Keystone has sent me the full graphic package for my 2007 2955RL. The decals were sent in at least 15 boxes via fed-ex but I only need to replace the front and front sides. Looks to me like they would all have fit in two or three boxes and there are no instructions. I need removal and installation advice. Any help will be very much appreciated. Thanks
Same here. I think ours was 7 or 8 boxes. Nothing numbered. No drawing to indicate which one goes where. We had the front and sides put on. They matched them by eyesight and set them aside but nobody thought to hold them up to check for size. I wouldn't have thought of that, either. Yep, the new ones are a bit smaller. Since we have the high gloss that's not as glossy as original when the sun is right you can see that the old ones were bigger. It's not all that noticeable, just aggravating that they sent me the wrong ones. And they told me at the time that's the last ones they have for our year and model. I kept the others and will use them as needed, which is getting close.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 09:35 AM   #14
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Hi guys! Remenber me??? Anyway... staying on topic... I found an off season, starving graphics guy who was willing to drive out ot my house to put on my front cap mountain graphic which Keystone sent me for free. When he finished - excellent - and gave me a ridIcoulusly low price of $30. I gave him a $20 tip. Need to find his number again...
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 12:52 PM   #15
Dmmollet

M.O.C. #11337
Has anyone ever used the "smart eraser pad" by AES industries to remove graphics? We found this on Amazon w a 4 star rating for removing graphics on campers.
Dmmollet is offline   Reply With Quote