Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 04-28-2011, 03:33 PM   #1
GaryM
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9975
Repairs Completed in Pendleton

We have completed all the repairs here in Pendleton except there are three outstanding items, table top, closet panel and moulding. The parts will be delivered to Alberta and will installed there.

I must say that the quality of service, the kindness and knowledge of Bob Payant and his crew Lonnie, Delvin and Greg was outstanding. There job is strictly warranty/repair work. And they all have many years of experience. My hat goes off to them.

If Keystone directed all there customer service calls to Pendleton it would be one outstanding company.

Would I buy another Montana RV, absolutely NOT. There is no way of taking any problems you may have to a higher level with Keystone. No e-mail address or phone # to upper management on there web site. As with most professional, customer service orientated company's there is always a way to contact upper management. Keystone lacks this ability. It is as if management does not want to get involved with customers concerns. Keystone Fail. You want to stay #1, then act as if you are #1. Put up a 24/7/365 customer service # so when my tire fly's off at sixty miles an hour I don’t have to wait seven days for your rep to answer my e-mail. Oh and training is the up most importance as the person that answers the phone must have some knowledge about your product. Just my two cents.

We wasted hundreds of dollars and months of our time as the Keystone product/equipment kept failing. It was one thing after another. And all I could rely on was one person at customer service who showed no concern as to the promptness of some of the repairs that needed to get done.

I will continue to be proactive and upgrade as much as I can on our rig, such as the driveline.

Will more stuff fail on this rig? Probably, but I hope not. From this point on if something does go wrong I will not call Keystone. I will rely on my extender warranty.

It was a very stressful winter down here in the USA. but Judy and I are ok now. Allot more relaxed. And looking forward to our trip back to Canada.

Everyone, have a good day.

Gary and Judy

GaryM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 11:29 PM   #2
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110

Sorry to hear of the problems you’ve had with the Montana. However, it sounds like you were able to get things taken care of. Glad everything is working out for the good.
Old 04-29-2011, 03:17 AM   #3
8e3k0
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9261
Gary, hope you and Judy are trouble free now with your Montana. Have a safe trip back. We are now in Minnesota taking in a huge Antique Swap Meet then on to our home early next week. We have about 11,000 miles behind us over the winter; "knock on wood" with no Montana problems.
8e3k0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 08:23 AM   #4
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by 8e3k0

Gary, hope you and Judy are trouble free now with your Montana. Have a safe trip back. We are now in Minnesota taking in a huge Antique Swap Meet then on to our home early next week. We have about 11,000 miles behind us over the winter; "knock on wood" with no Montana problems.
Traveling with you for part of those 11k , very happy with our Montana, except the decals.

To the op hopefully your problems are behind you, and you can get back to what you purchased the fifth wheel for.
PSFORD99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 06:54 AM   #5
helmick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8890
Gary and Judy
Glad Bob and his crew made me look good, I sure didn`tb want to hear I told you so.
Ron
helmick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 07:04 AM   #6
GaryM
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9975
Thanks for everything Ron.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by helmick

Gary and Judy
Glad Bob and his crew made me look good, I sure didn`tb want to hear I told you so.
Ron
Old 05-01-2011, 03:53 PM   #7
Sgrob47
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7031
Gary glad to hear You & Judy got back home with no other problems. Looking forward to seeing you both next winter.

Steve
Sgrob47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 04:31 PM   #8
GaryM
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9975
Hold it, No problems Steve? Not quite right.

I would first like to say THANK YOU so much my little Pressure Pro buddy.

Today while traveling through BC on the crows nest pass the Pressure Pro alerted me to a tire which was at 70 psi.
I pulled over and could hear the leak so I dug out my road side tire repair kit. Just as I inserted the plug I could hear another leak, so I inserted a plug into the second hole.
Once that hole was plugged I could hear another leak, so I started to plug the third hole. Just as I started to push the plug in the tire started bulging really bad around the holes.
It looks like the tire started to separate but I will not know for sure until I get to the tire shop. The tread is also worn bad on the inside and outside of the tire. More so at the location of where the three holes are.
As soon as I get to a tire shop I will have the five tires removed a replaced with proven safe tires and get an alignment done on my axles.
I asked Keystone in Pendleton to check my alignment and upgrade my tires to G614’s even if i hade to pay for it but they don’t do alignments there and the tires must have gotten overlooked.

Any way, I am not surprised at this point. But I will now talk to a lawyer when I get home.

until then everyone drive safe (especially you new Montana owners).

Gary
Old 05-01-2011, 05:13 PM   #9
clutch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7329
GaryM, believe me I know what you are going through. After four years of problems we traded the "money pit" in on a different brand. We can hardly believe that it has been three months with out a trailer problem. Keystone is no longer on my list.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 06:47 PM   #10
Sgrob47
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7031
Gary sorry to hear the drama continues, I thought you were already home. I guess I should of sold you the G614's off my trailer. Stay in touch buddy, email me when you do get home.
Old 05-01-2011, 07:08 PM   #11
GaryM
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9975

Steve, I can't go to Alaska without G614S, Yes I will keep intouch.
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Sgrob47

Gary sorry to hear the drama continues, I thought you were already home. I guess I should of sold you the G614's off my trailer. Stay in touch buddy, email me when you do get home.
Old 05-02-2011, 05:11 AM   #12
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by GaryM

Steve, I can't go to Alaska without G614S, Yes I will keep intouch.
Quote:

Gary and Steve,
Even after paying the bucks for an axle alignment, we're still getting adverse tire wear. We're looking forward to getting rid of this rig, but going to hang in there and keep throwing small amounts of money at it to keep safe. Only 458 days, and we'll be dumping this coffin on wheels.
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 05:24 AM   #13
Sgrob47
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7031
Hey Rob, I know all about tire issues. So far the G614's are holding up good. I also hear, from Jeanne, that you guy's might be making the trip to Alaska with us next summer. Have a nice summer now that your done campground hosting for a while.

Steve
Old 05-02-2011, 06:42 AM   #14
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Quote:

Hey Rob, I know all about tire issues. So far the G614's are holding up good. I also hear, from Jeanne, that you guy's might be making the trip to Alaska with us next summer. Have a nice summer now that your done campground hosting for a while.
Steve

I don't believe it is only a tire issue, it is the way the axles are attached and held on to the frame plus the Mor/ryde suspension, lightweight axles and inadequate springs for the intended application. Amazing how a company can continue to justify putting this hazardous workmanship and material on a 13K lbs. rig without getting sued. The same type of continued craftsmanship goes into the continued decision to use cheap tires.

I agree with Gary. Montana's...bang for the buck is pretty good, but I would rather put my money into being safe rather than hoping for a good outcome with cheap equipment. Cheap equipment with care-less customer support spells "time-bomb" just looking for a place to explode.

Keystone, I'm disappointed in your poor customer support and your shoddy bookkeeping and inventory ethics. There, I said it!

We'll upgrade away from Keystone products without reservations, until then, we'll just hope and pray like the rest of you do for a safe outcome.

Robbie Simons
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 05:33 PM   #15
GaryM
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9975

Robbie, I must say thank you for those words and support. You being a dedicated Montana owner for many years. I was starting to feel like i was just talking to myself all the time.

I broke down and bought 4 Goodyear G614's today and I sure felt allot better. I had to drive for 2.5 hours today with no spare just waiting for one to blow, damaging my new panels. God was I happy to pull into the tire shop.
The stress has just gotten a little to much for me lately and I will have to take some time off from anything Montana related for some time.
When things get better I will take the RV into a axle shop to have what ever it takes done to align/straighten/brace my axles. The tire shop has written up a report on the tires and axles for my lawyer.
It appears that when the tire and rim came off the drum that some damage may have bean caused when the rear axle hit the road and all the weight of the rv on the one side was exerted onto the one axle, possibly a bent axle.
What ever the cost to get this RV back to a safe unit is my main goal now as the last 6 months have taken quite a toll on me.

Keystone and Dexter will receive an E-mail in regards to these issues and it will be up to one of them to do good on the costs of the repairs and upgrades.

What really gets me is that after all the problems I have had and some serious ones that there has not been one person from Keystone or Dexter to have the balls and talk to me about it, find out if things are going well or to just say hello of kiss my butt. Well, you Keystone, Dexter, Thor Executives go ahead and stay in your holes. My lawyer will find you.

Enough said, Take care everyone.

Gary

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by simonsrf

Quote:

Steve

I don't believe it is only a tire issue, it is the way the axles are attached and held on to the frame plus the Mor/ryde suspension, lightweight axles and inadequate springs for the intended application. Amazing how a company can continue to justify putting this hazardous workmanship and material on a 13K lbs. rig without getting sued. The same type of continued craftsmanship goes into the continued decision to use cheap tires.

I agree with Gary. Montana's...bang for the buck is pretty good, but I would rather put my money into being safe rather than hoping for a good outcome with cheap equipment. Cheap equipment with care-less customer support spells "time-bomb" just looking for a place to explode.

Keystone, I'm disappointed in your poor customer support and your shoddy bookkeeping and inventory ethics. There, I said it!

We'll upgrade away from Keystone products without reservations, until then, we'll just hope and pray like the rest of you do for a safe outcome.

Robbie Simons
Old 05-03-2011, 07:24 AM   #16
Maury
Established Member

M.O.C. #11300
Noted your problems and some of the responses. We, too, are fed up with our Montana and wonder how they could be #1 in sales. Yet - so many we talk with are more than OK with what they have. Have learned quite a bit through talking with other RV'ers and on this web site - dealer(s) seem to often have not a clue as to what to do other than charge you the "going rate" for learning on your rig! Hesitate to buy something else but, like you, tired of the "money pit" and mixed messages re: what's covered/what's not on the extended warranty. Our problems began within a month of the new Montana ('07) and continue through last Friday. Some big items - some smaller - all irritating and expensive. Examples: tire problems, 4 DVD's in 4 years, repalce fireplace, molding falling off, no seal in toilet, not enough amps in landing gears, falling-down cabinet, water/rain leaks that took 3+ years of locate and fix(?), faulty propane lines, stripped landing dears, bent landing post, drawers/doors that won't stay closed, busted recliner, frayed furniture (no pets), air mattress that leaked, busted microwave, etc. Thinking of new RV but have almost no faith in the integrity of any dealer - trust fellow RV'ers but cannot buy from one of them and not have funds from sale of this one. Let us know if you find a brand that REALLY works for you and/or a dealer in the upper Midwest that you would trust.
Maury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 10:37 AM   #17
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Agree with thee problems but you know another brand in the same price range will be no better.They all use the same vendors, materials and the assembly lines in the plants all look the same.
We have had no problems with tires,,China bombs or otherwise.. We did cut off the OEM suspension and go with the Mor Ryde IS suspension as we felt our usage justified that.
we have had no leaks, no DVD problems, no molding falling off, no cabinets falling, No bad propane lines, No stripped landing gear, No bent landing post. No broke recliners..Did have two Micro Waves bad.No peeling graphics. No problems with Toilet issues... three leaking holding tanks. No frame flex. We have had problems but we we knew we would have and purchased the extended warranty and all our out of warranty issyeds have cost us @ 150.00.

These are Rv's and they are what they are..
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 12:44 PM   #18
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
We had the tire problems including blowing out the side of the kitchen slide. Replacement tires, the G614's, seemed to have solved that problem. We had some problems early with bending the 6k axles. Three months after ours was built Keystone switched to the 7k axles. We swapped ours out for the 7k and have had no more problems. Other than that, our problems have been minor. After hearing all the horror stories in the rv parks from neighbors here and there I don't think there's anything any better in the same price range. I guess all brands have a lemon here and there. I'm just glad we didn't get one of them. Ours is a good one. I think we'll keep it. I wish those with the problem units the best in getting their problems resolved and hope the future is much better for them.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 05:17 AM   #19
indy roadrunner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5634
I guess I am fortunate with my 3400. It was built March 21 2006. We bought it off dealer lot in April of 06. The only mod we added was the TrailAir King Pin. Within the first month we had a bow on top of the main slide repaired under warrenty and a leak on the bedroom slide fixed with ext. bond tape. Other than that, all other repairs were my fault. We replaced the Mission tires last year with BFG T/A LT235/85/R16. My graphics are all in good shape. I wax the nose cap about 4 times a year using a boat fibreglass wax and I have waxed the whole unit just twice since purchase. We have the 6000 lb axles and the suspension links are still in good shape. Up until this year we were weekenders camping about twice a month and then 3 weeks in Florida. I do believe that when you full time in one of these units you are asking it to do something that it really wasn't designed for and I know a lot of you full time in them with no problems - my respect to you. There is a reason they are called recreational vehicles. I have been to Goshen and seen how these things are built and I respect that fact. For them to produce a unit to be trouble free and long time use - it would have to cost $$$$$$. When you are pulling these things down our fine Interstates and State Highways you are subjecting the RV to all kinds of punishment - shake, rattle and roll. Things are going to break - period.
I had a Class A at one time that sold new for over a 100,000 dollars and it had some of the same issues I hear complained about on this forum - I guess because they have the same vendors.
Anyway I am quite satisified with my unit and buy another one, but why should I, this one has a lot left in it for a recreation vehicle.
indy roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 05:32 AM   #20
TAKPAK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8238
As many say, it IS a recreational vehicle. You can have problems with anything. Lets see, how many Ford pickups are in the recent recall? How many Toyotas have been recalled? And, of course some of us can remember the Pintos, the Vegas, and the host of many others that has been recalled? Our neighbors have a motor home that cost over a quarter of a million dollars, and they've had plenty of problems with it, too. And, it is up to each of us to check our RV's once in a while, as they do vibrate and shake going down the road. Things WILL come loose, over time. Just traded in our '07 3400, and the worst problem was the shower had a leak. We hope that the new '11 3400 treats us as well, but I am going over it with a fine tooth comb as well. Already found some wires to the home theater that weren't hooked up correctly. Easy fix on that one. I am testing everything else out, too.
2015 GMC Sierra 4X4 3500 SRW
TAKPAK is offline   Reply With Quote