Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 08-20-2022, 03:56 PM   #21
dfb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17163
Personal Presence.. we have had both... Now a long bed dually...

dfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2022, 04:03 PM   #22
Camp CA
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25828
Ditto dfb.......we also have a long bed dually (crew cab). Make for a very comfortable tow.
Old 08-20-2022, 04:04 PM   #23
dfb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camp CA View Post
Ditto dfb.......we also have a long bed dually (crew cab). Make for a very comfortable tow.
Yes it does... happy happy..
dfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2022, 08:15 AM   #24
DmaxDually
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14092
I have Crew Cab long bed dually with a BakFlip hard cove. It's my daily driver. Besides comfortable and stable towing. It's also great for my occasional trips to Home Depot/Lowes for 4 x 8 sheets of plywood, sheet rock or anything that comes in 8Ft lengths. I can close the tail gate and with the hard cover it secure. If I have to make other stops I don't have to worry about anything getting stolen or wet when it rains.
Old 08-27-2022, 11:38 AM   #25
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
Originally Posted by DmaxDually View Post
I have Crew Cab long bed dually with a BakFlip hard cove. It's my daily driver. Besides comfortable and stable towing. It's also great for my occasional trips to Home Depot/Lowes for 4 x 8 sheets of plywood, sheet rock or anything that comes in 8Ft lengths. I can close the tail gate and with the hard cover it secure. If I have to make other stops I don't have to worry about anything getting stolen or wet when it rains.
Not once in 24 years of owning short beds instead of long beds , and the fact I’ve had trucks for 50 years have I needed a long bed for hauling 8 foot lumber or whatever, plus what about over 8 feet ? . Having been a home owner now for 50 years , and had more home projects then I can count . My point is I wouldn’t make the deciding factor on hauling 8 foot lumber or whatever. On having to have a 8 foot bed .

My utility trailer does all those duties , plus a whole lot easier to load , and unload . Plus the neighbors can borrow it so they don’t HAVE to buy a long bed .
PSFORD99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2022, 01:16 PM   #26
Richard Blackwell
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19705
Send a message via AIM to Richard Blackwell Send a message via MSN to Richard Blackwell
The "short" and "long" of it...

We've had both a short bed (2006 F250 SRW Diesel) and now a long bed (2014 F350 DRW Diesel). Truck is used almost daily for Non-Towing purposes as well as LONG road trips over the past 12 years. Towed the same trailer (2013 Keystone Montana 3402RL) with each and for my money, besides the improvement in pulling power with the newer B12 engine, the extra bed length for pulling far outperforms the short bed in ride comfort, trailer clearance, plus stability on the DRW's. Short bed was too close for comfort on 75 to 90 degree backup turning/parking...had to watch truck back window clearance vs trailer nose edge to avoid breaking that window!
2013 3402RL
Richard Blackwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2022, 01:48 PM   #27
sourdough
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26010
OP as you noted it's a personal preference choice. I've had both short and long bed trucks and only drive short beds these days (Ram). Something you don't need to worry about with the Andersen (I use one) is hitting the cab. You have a newer Montana and the max turn noses on them keep them out of your cab. Plus trying to turn that trailer sharp enough to whack the cab is really messing with your suspension. When I got the Andersen I took it out to an area on our property to just see what was what. Long before the cap gets to where it could hit the cap the tires were pushing mounds of dirt up once it got to approx. 60-65 degrees; they were sliding more than turning. At that point on pavement you're doing damage IMO.

More importantly I want my truck in my garage and a long bed with CC makes it too long. I've carried more 8' sheets of plywood, sheetrock and lumber than I can remember so that isn't an issue. So it's back to what you noted...preference and what's important to you.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote