Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 07-02-2017, 07:44 AM   #1
8amps
Established Member

M.O.C. #19940
Montana 3950 Level up & 2 Wheels coming off ground

Good morning! We have our new 2017 3950BR parked in the street out front of the house. Due to the slope down of the curbside of the road (door side) when we autoleveled, both tires came off the ground about 1/2". I read the manual for it online at Lippert's website, it didn't address it at all that I could find. We aren't staying in the unit, just loading up. I am concerned a) that's it is ok at all. b) the slide on that side (big hydraulic one with recliners and dinette) is out so I can load things up (others are in since it would take up whole street). I've searched the forum but can't find this particular question answered.

I've put in the slide for the moment until I'm sure we're not doing anything we're not supposed to... don't want to hurt our new Montana!

So questions are:
1. Is it ok for the tires to be off the ground short term - like changing a tire or in this particular case, loading up
2. If this happens and we're actually staying in it, would that make a difference?

Appreciate the help!

8amps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 08:07 AM   #2
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
We are full timers having been in our current Montana almost 6 years and frequently have some or all the tires off the ground for days while always in the unit without any problems. I also used the level up system to raise the unit while installing disc brakes without any problem however I did use jack stands for added safety while doing brakes. This has been my experience but of course your's could be different.

Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 08:12 AM   #3
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Unless you are concerned about being near level for your fridge assuming you don't have a residential you really don't have to level when loading up. If it takes two tires off the ground to be level ... That's what it takes. Some people when setup do have a tire or two off the ground due to extremely unlevel campsites.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 08:53 AM   #4
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
We spent the whole winter one year with the curb side wheels well of the ground with no problems.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 02:15 PM   #5
jimandlaurie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12948
Send a message via AIM to jimandlaurie Send a message via MSN to jimandlaurie Send a message via Yahoo to jimandlaurie
We ditto on not having problems with 2 or more wheels off the ground. It seems that the Level
Up sensor levels the coach and it all depends on slope/terrain conditions. But probably you could gently wedge blocks under those wheels as a bit of exrtra support. Of course I always put blocks under the 6 landing pads. Your post made me think that I might try blocks next time the wheels get free like that.
Good Luck and Happy Trails
jimandlaurie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 03:21 PM   #6
Recumbent
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10457
Tires in air

Have sleep many nights two tire in the air and have had all four in the air several times. Recently had a blowout of G614 (believe road hazard) on I75 in Georgia and was able to limp to an exit and parking lot. Used the Manual setting and put all four tires in the air after breaking lugs loose while changing to spare tire with no issues. You get the typical disclaimers from Lippert as they don't want to be responsible for some nut getting hurt using the hydraulics to change a tire or tires.
Recumbent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 07:46 PM   #7
kozzy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18144
I also have a 3950, and on site as I type this, 2 tires off the ground, I was nervous the first time, called LCI and they said its fine and normal to level the camper. It is the same type of hydraulic system used in motorhomes, and all are designed to bear the weight of the camper if needed, and are fine with tires off the ground. Have fun, its a great unit, we have had ours a little over a year now .
kozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 07:10 AM   #8
8amps
Established Member

M.O.C. #19940
Quote:
Originally Posted by kozzy View Post
I also have a 3950, and on site as I type this, 2 tires off the ground, I was nervous the first time, called LCI and they said its fine and normal to level the camper. It is the same type of hydraulic system used in motorhomes, and all are designed to bear the weight of the camper if needed, and are fine with tires off the ground. Have fun, its a great unit, we have had ours a little over a year now .
Good to know, thanks!
8amps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 10:23 AM   #9
phillyg
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17801
Happens occasionally when parked on uneven sites. No problem. Also, I can rotate the wheels to listen for bearing noise or adjust the brakes if the auto adjust isn't quite right.
phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
levelup, wheels off ground