Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Navigation
Click Here to Login

Old 08-02-2021, 02:05 PM   #1
basqueman

M.O.C. #21111
Norcold (NeverCold) Problems Revisited Again

Still having cooling problems with our Norcold in our 2018 3810MS. Yes it is a hot summer. Got a remote freezer/refer recording thermometer to track out cooling problems. When we get to our RV spot on the St Joe on Thurs pm the refer is pretty empty and the temp can be 5/32. Gets filled up with food stuff and frozen bottled water around the bottom. Temp goes up to 15/35. Next am
OAT is 62 and the refer temp can be 10/30 or so. By the afternoon the OAT is 100 and the sun shines on the refer side. My scanning temp guage has shown as high as 134. We have a sunshade over the refer and I wash down the side with very cold well water. Temp has reached 26/51 at the highest. Last Friday took the lower cover off the refer access and put a really good fan on the opening for about 3 hrs. Temp went down by 3 deg at most. This was 21/45 or so. We are getting the little battery box fan for the inside of the reefer to see if we can lower temps. Temp gauge set on 8. Cant trust leaving any food in reefer from Sunday night to Thurs night if we arent there. Cant figure out what we paid $70,000 for when the reefer wont cool, the landing gear leaks down, wooden parts fall off, and screws/bolts fall of the fender skirts, and the decals are fading and cracking.

basqueman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 05:16 PM   #2
Creeker
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23094
Until you address the ventilation/air flow problem (baffling and/or fans), your fridge will probably never work correctly. Many, many threads here covering this very issue.

Air absolutely must flow through the exterior fins and then out the upper vent. Not around the fins, not under the fins, not hover over the fins. Through the fins and out the upper vent. I fixed ours with some roof flashing, three 12 volt fans and a thermal snap switch. It went from useless to exceeding my expectations. It now works better than any RV fridge we've owned.

The interior fans may help keep the temps more even inside but your real issue is on the rear exterior of your fridge. Lots of Youtube videos to research as well.
Creeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 07:13 PM   #3
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
An ARP device adds fans to improve airflow. I had one installed in Quartzite a couple of years ago that really improved my reefer.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 08:32 PM   #4
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
We also added the ARP at Quartzsite and just put it on our new unit. A big question - is your flapper closing between the two doors. Common issue with an easy fix.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote