Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 09-21-2022, 07:04 AM   #1
Mroe
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #23577
Living area a/c unit

Our back living area a/c unit freezes up when in low ambient temperatures plus the fan motor occasionally stops for a minute. Then starts again, almost like it’s shutting off on an internal overload. I was told the dealer just replaces the whole unit and apparently don’t have skills to repair them. I’m thinking about replacing the fan motor and doing a charge check. What do you all think?

Mroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 08:30 AM   #2
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mroe View Post
Our back living area a/c unit freezes up when in low ambient temperatures plus the fan motor occasionally stops for a minute. Then starts again, almost like it’s shutting off on an internal overload. I was told the dealer just replaces the whole unit and apparently don’t have skills to repair them. I’m thinking about replacing the fan motor and doing a charge check. What do you all think?

There is a temp probe in the evaporator fins that shuts off the compressor to prevent freeze up. I couldn't tell you where to look but its possible it vibrated out? As far as the fan stopping, I have no idea. This guy is pretty entertaining
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture2.JPG
Views:	11
Size:	28.0 KB
ID:	13183  
Old 09-21-2022, 08:57 AM   #3
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
If you are running the fan on auto, try running it on high.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 10:24 AM   #4
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
RV ac units are sealed systems. There is no means of checking fluid levels or pressures. At the current costs for labor, you would spend more than what the ac unit is worth. I think you should have an adult beverage and rethink your plans. Or spend money on a real ac expert to advise you on what you should do.
Old 09-22-2022, 06:30 AM   #5
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mroe View Post
We had this problem with the Dometic Capacitive Touch Thermostats. I replaced the thermostats with the MicroAir ones, and the problem is gone. Essentially, the MicroAir ignores the freeze sensor warning and continues to run the fan to prevent freeze up. Others have had luck just running the fan on low or high to accomplish this, but I never did. The MicroAir thermostats are expensive, but they are worth it if you camp where temps are in the 90's a lot.
RMcNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2022, 07:18 AM   #6
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Maybe it's time for some simple maintenance, like spraying off the fins on the coils. I just did mine a couple days ago, and I was surprised how much "gunk" was clogging the fins. If it's been a while since you've done this, then that's an easy start that doesn't cost anything to potentially fix the problem. I always start simple with no cost standard maintenance procedures first, and escalate time, money, and resources one step at a time.

And just an FYI, the simple process of spraying out my coil fins on the roof improved the AC performance immediately!
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2022, 08:11 AM   #7
Arkware
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17723
We had the freezing issue too. Found the return vent filters were dirty. Also check the vent is sealed from the attic.
2015 F350 XLT Crew Dually 20K B&W Companion
Arkware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2022, 09:01 AM   #8
Mroe
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #23577
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcurtis934 View Post
RV ac units are sealed systems. There is no means of checking fluid levels or pressures. At the current costs for labor, you would spend more than what the ac unit is worth. I think you should have an adult beverage and rethink your plans. Or spend money on a real ac expert to advise you on what you should do.
Worked on and installed Commerical refrigeration units for most of my life, so I have the ability just was curious as to what other people have done. Coils and filters are clean
Old 09-22-2022, 05:05 PM   #9
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
You're fortunate to be able to source the fittings, silver solder, draw a vacuum, and recharge an RV A/C ... I'd guess for 98% of us ... it is above our pay grade. I know where you're coming from though as I've always did my own mechanical maintenance and repair ... we'll always get the deer in the headlight looks accompanied by "you can do that?". It saddens me to be in a "just chuck it and put on a new one" world.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2022, 05:08 PM   #10
Mroe
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #23577
Yah that’s for sure, never fix….. just replace
Old 10-25-2022, 05:10 PM   #11
Vaughlw
Established Member

M.O.C. #31261
The fan should never stop running seeing as how it is the same motor for the condenser fan also. My unit would not start the fan when the compressor was running ultimately shutting the system off on high pressure. Problem with the factory relay board. The dealer wouldn't replace the system because it was an intermittent problem and not totally broke. I installed a relay in parallel with the compressor to start/stop the fan when the compressor is running. Is your compressor shutting off or does it continue to run when the fan is off?
Vaughlw is offline   Reply With Quote