Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 08-19-2020, 07:47 PM   #21
Clark 2012 346LBQ
Established Member

M.O.C. #25245
We have an outside kitchen and I love it the only change I made was buying a freezer for it and getting rid of the fridge

Clark 2012 346LBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 09:47 PM   #22
whutfles
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17319
We have had numerous small grills in our RV. After about 2-3 years they all deteriorate from rust and overheating the metal, the burners get plugged and the grates wear out. I always wondered how available the parts would be for these units. We always keep our BBQ covered or stowed inside.

I never felt I wanted a BBQ grill that close to my RV with all of it's smoke greasing up the side of my RV. This one from Montana does pull out a little farther away from the RV than most that I've seen. And it's not a BBQ. It's more of a stove probably not generating as much smoke. And the stove parts would probably last longer than BBQ parts.

There are a lot of RV sites where you are not going to be able to pull that unit out as far as you need to with trees and other obstacles in the way.
whutfles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 04:24 AM   #23
bwandrack

M.O.C. #26313
Quote:
Originally Posted by kowbra View Post
Awesome, thanks!

I was hoping that someone had one of these... If you don't mind, and your rig is handy, I have some questions:
-can you measure the size of the built in metal storage bin (HxWxD)?
-also, can you measure the stove (HxWxD)?
-can you measure the fridge units (HxWxD)?
-the rear fridge, from the pictures, looks like it is part way inside the basement. Is that an illusion, or does it really not come all the way out? If it doesn't, about how many inches inside is that second fridge?

I really appreciate any info you can provide, so thanks in advance!

Brad
Brad,

I'll get some measurements and some pictures for you later today.

Have a fantastic day,

Bill
2012 RAM 3500 Longhorn DRW HO 6.7 / Aisin 6 speed
bwandrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 07:37 AM   #24
Byron B
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18751
For me, I have my own outside kitchen components. I use a gas grill, a gas 2 burner cook top with a 16”x16” stainless steel griddle i can put on either or neither burner and use 2 skillets. Plus a large electric skillet. I am contemplating the purchase of a smaller gas griddle for occasional use. We use a smaller YETI for drinks and have a residential fridge inside our rig. Also a 6’ table. All of this is set up outside when we park. I am normally fixing breakfast for a large group of folks many mornings. I do not know of anyone who has an outside kitchen with a stove they can actually cook on. Also, wife does not like the smell of bacon so all of that must be done outside.
IMHO, choose your rig for the floor plan which will suit your needs the best. Then add the cooking gear in the basement.
Best wishes!
Byron B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 08:06 AM   #25
sourdough
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron B View Post
For me, I have my own outside kitchen components. I use a gas grill, a gas 2 burner cook top with a 16”x16” stainless steel griddle i can put on either or neither burner and use 2 skillets. Plus a large electric skillet. I am contemplating the purchase of a smaller gas griddle for occasional use. We use a smaller YETI for drinks and have a residential fridge inside our rig. Also a 6’ table. All of this is set up outside when we park. I am normally fixing breakfast for a large group of folks many mornings. I do not know of anyone who has an outside kitchen with a stove they can actually cook on. Also, wife does not like the smell of bacon so all of that must be done outside.
IMHO, choose your rig for the floor plan which will suit your needs the best. Then add the cooking gear in the basement.
Best wishes!

Byron, with all that and no Blackstone??!! I'm like you, I make an outdoor cooking/kitchen area. But I gotta have my Blackstone and induction cookers...
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 08:15 AM   #26
Byron B
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18751
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Byron, with all that and no Blackstone??!! I'm like you, I make an outdoor cooking/kitchen area. But I gotta have my Blackstone and induction cookers...
Nope, no black stone. The griddle I had made for my two burner works fine though I am contemplating a smaller version. My two burner is great for a variety of things like boiling a large pot for pasta or even crawfish...

I forgot, yesterday I added my air fryer/oven to my cooking collection. The oven inside doesn’t have a good enough temperature control.

I am not a fan of the induction cooktops. The special cookware turns me off. We live in 3 different rvs and a small house in central Mexico. All are stocked with pretty much the same things from silverware to bath products. When we buy one of something, we normally end up with 3 more!
Byron B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 08:27 AM   #27
sourdough
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26010
Yeah, all pots and pans won't work. We have always carried a magma nesting set of cookware that works on them and just make sure any new stuff we buy is compatible. Never took them to our other houses so just used what was there. I will say that we are going to get a residential unit for the house. I just really like the speed, lack of heat and control you have of the temps. But, camping and cooking is camping and cooking. I got intrigued with them after I bought one to heat up my tea kettle every morning. Electric stove top is barely warm by the time the induction has the kettle singing away.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 12:34 PM   #28
jeririgged223
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #26548
Outdoor kitchen

Don't have one and personally I never will. Too many RV fires have been caused by stoves being used too close to the RV itself. We learn this lesson when my in-laws RV burned to the ground. For this reason we always set up our portable camp stove and - or a barbecue away from the RV itself
jeririgged223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 02:39 PM   #29
bwandrack

M.O.C. #26313
OK Brad,

Here you go.

Stove 18" x 14"
Box 22" x 16" x 6"
Shelf 20" x 16"

I am also attaching some pictures. The inside fridge is just slightly inside the compartment when the tray is fully extended, but no problems getting to it. The fridges open from the middle, like a french door residential fridge. You can see that I have quite a bit of "stuff" stored in the box. Not sure why it posted the images sideways, not how I took them! Let me know if you have any other questions.

Have a fantastic evening,

Bill
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200820_161228.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	278.2 KB
ID:	7070   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200820_161219.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	289.1 KB
ID:	7071   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200820_161211.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	290.6 KB
ID:	7072   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200820_161204.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	295.7 KB
ID:	7073  
2012 RAM 3500 Longhorn DRW HO 6.7 / Aisin 6 speed
bwandrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 02:53 PM   #30
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
I asked the support folks about sideways pictures and this was their response.

Most phones auto rotate the view for the viewer. If you take a pic in landscape orientation the pic will display properly regardless of the way you turn the device. The forum can't do that. Most phones default camera orientation is portrait - folks shoot a pic in the non-default view and it always looks fine to them - they upload the pic here and it displays in it's default view (on it's side).

The solution for most folks to fix this is to open the image holding the phone in portrait orientation, and resave the image on their device. When they upload it here - it should behave correctly.

Some phones have onboard software to fix this issue - some don't. Confusing...

I personally send the pictures to my PC where I ensure the orientation is correct.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 03:09 PM   #31
kowbra
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26690
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwandrack View Post
OK Brad,

Here you go.

Stove 18" x 14"
Box 22" x 16" x 6"
Shelf 20" x 16"

I am also attaching some pictures. The inside fridge is just slightly inside the compartment when the tray is fully extended, but no problems getting to it. The fridges open from the middle, like a french door residential fridge. You can see that I have quite a bit of "stuff" stored in the box. Not sure why it posted the images sideways, not how I took them! Let me know if you have any other questions.

Have a fantastic evening,

Bill
Thanks Bill, really appreciated!

Brad
kowbra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 03:36 PM   #32
skippydoo
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #25725
An Outdoor kitchen is one thing we reallllly miss in our HC

Our ice filled cooler and grill with have to do for now.

ENJOY your's...
skippydoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 08:18 AM   #33
planecrashlaw@yahoo.com

M.O.C. #28197
We are about to pull the trigger on the 3121. The slide out kitchen is not optimal, since I use a gas BBQ almost every day of the 90 a year we camp, and the stovetop is fairly useless. But I like the fridge and the decent counter and storage space for staging everything I need while cooking.

Offer and actual grill I that space and I’m sold. Otherwise, it looks like an $1800, space killing option which will require a factory order. And I that case I would be better off buying a good folding table and grill and using the quick connect.

However, I was wondering if I could remove the cooktop from its slide and just use that space as a table top to support a high end removable tabletop BBQ which utilizes the same gas line left over from the cooktop?

Does anyone who has one of these see any potential in my idea?
planecrashlaw@yahoo.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 09:05 AM   #34
Mikelff
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26851
I have an outdoor kitchen w/ fridge, microwave, and pull out 2 burner stove. The pull out stove is ok for small meals but thats it. I use a portable propane grill most of the time. Works great. Also bought a filet table from Bass Pro. It comes with a sink and fold down faucet. Perfect for outdoor kitchen set up. Good space for food prep and i have a good size sink with water. Everyone can was hands without having to go in the RV. Folds up nice and flat for storage. Perfect set up for me. I also have a big burner/turkey fryer that I use for big meals like chili, stews, etc. Use that outdoor kitchen a lot. Wouldn't be without one .
Mikelff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 09:26 AM   #35
planecrashlaw@yahoo.com

M.O.C. #28197
Thanks. My question is limited to the slide out kitchen referenced in Post 29.
planecrashlaw@yahoo.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 01:37 PM   #36
kowbra
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26690
Quote:
Originally Posted by planecrashlaw@yahoo.com View Post
We are about to pull the trigger on the 3121. The slide out kitchen is not optimal, since I use a gas BBQ almost every day of the 90 a year we camp, and the stovetop is fairly useless. But I like the fridge and the decent counter and storage space for staging everything I need while cooking.

Offer and actual grill I that space and I’m sold. Otherwise, it looks like an $1800, space killing option which will require a factory order. And I that case I would be better off buying a good folding table and grill and using the quick connect.

However, I was wondering if I could remove the cooktop from its slide and just use that space as a table top to support a high end removable tabletop BBQ which utilizes the same gas line left over from the cooktop?

Does anyone who has one of these see any potential in my idea?
We ordered the Super Solar Flex package, which takes up significant space in the main storage bay. So, in the end we opted out of the exterior slide out kitchen.

However, one thing I looked at for that slide out kitchen is to replace the factory stove with the Sidekick system from Camp Chef.
https://www.campchef.com/sidekick.html

Here's the beauty of the system: it starts with a single large burner that comes with a griddle, so it's like having both a burner and blackstone out of the box. But, ALSO you can add a BBQ box and a pizza oven! And, it is compatible with the camp chef RV connection hose.

How does that fit for you? It looks like the measurements would be really close to being able to just replace the factory slide out stove. So, even though the Sidekick is designed to attach to a camp chef grill, I was thinking you might attach the slide hardware from the factory stove and fit it in the same spot.

If this is of interest, please let us know if the measurements work out, and what you think.

hth, thanks!
Brad
Old 09-29-2022, 03:56 PM   #37
Retiredgpa57
Established Member

M.O.C. #31393
I cannot get mine to light. The stove that is. I’ve got the smirks to light my outdoor stove but your there doesn’t seem to be any propane to ignite. Where do I find the hose and how to make sure the gas lines on with my Montana and outdoor kitchen?
Retiredgpa57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 04:53 PM   #38
kowbra
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26690
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retiredgpa57 View Post
I cannot get mine to light. The stove that is. I’ve got the smirks to light my outdoor stove but your there doesn’t seem to be any propane to ignite. Where do I find the hose and how to make sure the gas lines on with my Montana and outdoor kitchen?
So, I did not end up purchasing the Montana outdoor kitchen, but I built my own... here is a link to pictures of that project...
https://www.montanaowners.com/forums...5&postcount=27

I can share how my setup works, as I "think" that may be similar with the built in one. My stove has a hose underneath that is coiled up. Then, below the bay that the outdoor kitchen is in, there is a propane pipe that is attached to the frame. There is a propane quick connect on the end of the pipe and it has a ball valve. Each time I use the stove, I have to uncoil the hose, and connect to the valve under the storage bay, then turn the valve open. Check to see - perhaps your built in stove is similar?

If that is not it, perhaps you can share more information (include photos) about your outdoor kitchen; the one I was looking at was for a 2021 model, so your rig may be very different.

Brad
Old 09-29-2022, 07:12 PM   #39
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
Wow nice job. The liquor cabinet came out nice too
Old 09-29-2022, 07:18 PM   #40
kowbra
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26690
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foldbak View Post