Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Brrr it's cold outside! Winter Camping
Click Here to Login

Old 12-23-2020, 12:23 PM   #1
AlmostThere

M.O.C. #27660
Adding a 2nd Heat Pump

We have a 2020 377FL with 2 Coleman Mach ac units. As we know, only the front has the heat pump unit installed. I assume others have done this or talked about it, although I haven't found it, why can't I install another heat pump into the back unit?

Seams likes it's too easy and there must be a reason why it's not able to work.

Thanks!!

AlmostThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 08:51 PM   #2
Tom N OH
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17678
It’s really unnecessary. One heat pump keeps our 3811MS plenty warm until the temperature drops to the point that a heat pump becomes too inefficient to keep up. At that point, adding a 2nd one wouldn’t do any good anyway.
Tom N OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 08:58 PM   #3
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom N OH View Post
It’s really unnecessary. One heat pump keeps our 3811MS plenty warm until the temperature drops to the point that a heat pump becomes too inefficient to keep up. At that point, adding a 2nd one wouldn’t do any good anyway.

Absolutely dead spot on! Agree!

That "point" is around 42-45 degrees. When the outside temperature is less than that, they just blow cold air. And when the temperatures are above 45, one heat pump will cook you out!
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 03:30 AM   #4
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
I have found that the heat pump will actually help and circulate heat well into the 20's if you supplement it with the fireplace heat and/or a ceramic heater inside. We've been down to the teens and 20's with only the heat pump, fireplace and a small ceramic heater. It's able to keep the entire coach at 69 degrees. I do recommend that you monitor temps in your underbelly and basement to prevent freezing pipes. I purchased a thermometer with 3 remote sensors and put one in the underbelly, garage and pass through basement. Temps remain 48 and above down there so no problem with freezing pipes.
RMcNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 05:58 AM   #5
DadsHemi
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20472
We’ve been able to use our HP well down into the lows 30s by using the fire place heat strip, I also use a small ceramic heater in my basement that I have set for around 35 to 38 degrees, this has work very well keeping thing from freezing and it also keeps our bedroom floor warm. I’ve been doing this for several years, also this helps ad the furnace when you do eventually switch over to propane for heat.

2018 Ram 3500 MegaCab 4x4 Aisin, 4:10 Gears
Titan 50 Gal Tank, Air Lift Wireless Bags
2017 3160 RL
DadsHemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 08:33 AM   #6
kowbra
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26690
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMcNeal View Post
I have found that the heat pump will actually help and circulate heat well into the 20's if you supplement it with the fireplace heat and/or a ceramic heater inside. We've been down to the teens and 20's with only the heat pump, fireplace and a small ceramic heater. It's able to keep the entire coach at 69 degrees. I do recommend that you monitor temps in your underbelly and basement to prevent freezing pipes. I purchased a thermometer with 3 remote sensors and put one in the underbelly, garage and pass through basement. Temps remain 48 and above down there so no problem with freezing pipes.
I like the idea of a thermometer; what model did you buy?

Thanks,
Brad
kowbra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 10:53 AM   #7
AlmostThere

M.O.C. #27660
Thanks... I know HOW a heat pump works and the limitations. I'm not sure how your HP works but ours doesn't keep our entire rig "toasty". The front area is great but the back room and top loft is chilly.

So the main idea is no... There is no technical reason anyone has seen that would prevent adding a 2nd.
AlmostThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 12:22 PM   #8
2 Yoopers
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21800
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlmostThere View Post
Thanks... I know HOW a heat pump works and the limitations. I'm not sure how your HP works but ours doesn't keep our entire rig "toasty". The front area is great but the back room and top loft is chilly.

So the main idea is no... There is no technical reason anyone has seen that would prevent adding a 2nd.
No, there is no technical reason that would prevent it. My DP has 3 and it is nice to have the extra heat to warm a cool coach up, or like you stated keep the entire rig toasty.
2 Yoopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 10:17 PM   #9
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
On our HC we have a heat pump on one end and a heat strip on the bedroom AC. When the bedroom AC goes out on our Montana we'll replace it with a heat pump or, if necessary a heat strip unit.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 04:30 PM   #10
GreG L.
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21993
I have a friend that did it (no In-Command, not a Montana but pretty close floor plan) and found the new bedroom (front bedroom) AC would make the bedroom so hot that adjusting the thermostat to where it stayed comfortable it never came on it was always off. Just pumped too much hot air into the bedroom. Since he spent so much money he is thinking of putting a fan in the bedroom doorway to move the hot air out. I think he's just chasing a problem with no good solution.
GreG L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 07:04 AM   #11
DebNJim B
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21158
Quote:
Originally Posted by DQDick View Post
On our HC we have a heat pump on one end and a heat strip on the bedroom AC. When the bedroom AC goes out on our Montana we'll replace it with a heat pump or, if necessary a heat strip unit.
How does the heat strip work and is this something you installed?

DebNJim B is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
377fl, heat pump, upgrades