Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > PREVIOUS ANNUAL MOC NORTH AMERICAN RALLIES > 2021 Annual North American Fall Rally
Click Here to Login

Closed Thread

Old 09-10-2021, 06:26 AM   #1
L0veless
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19132
Send a message via AIM to L0veless
tipping techs?

I'm kind of lost on this point.
I have had 2 techs come out and do FANTASTIC work then even went above and beyond the scope of my 2 fixes.
do we tip these techs? if so approximately how much?

I know I will write a letter to Keystone letting them know what quality people they have representing them.

Thank you

Old 09-10-2021, 07:25 AM   #2
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
A tip is a gift, an expression of gratitude. Unfortunately, tipping is becoming an expectation thereby turning gratitude into a moral obligation. If those repairmen (or other service providers) truly take pride in their good work, they will likely not care to accept gratuities but appreciate the gesture. But, if you feel so moved by their service there is no harm in offering a gift.
Old 09-10-2021, 07:26 AM   #3
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
I for one, am against tipping, even in restaurants. I do, but that does not mean I agree with doing it.

I have, in the past, tipped and not tipped service tech calls (not RV related). The last time I tipped was when "they" delivered our freezer and set it up for us. Another time I tipped the guy who fixed our washing machine. But the crew that re-roofed our house, the got pizza for lunch from Pizza Hut delivery.

But, there are multiple occasions I have not tipped. We have deliveries come to the house all the time. Schwans Ice cream and Hinkley water. We don't tip them when they come. But, we do give them a gift card at Christmas. But, recently, both companies have switched delivery drivers several times, just this year. So it's kind of hard developing a relationship with them. Hopefully, the current drivers will stick around long enough.

I suppose when it comes to home repairs, deliveries, and such (and that would include RV mobile techs), it's still a matter of what you want to do. There is no written "rule" or "code" that I know of that says you should or should not. I think it's all a matter of preference.

During this covid "thing", my wife and I have been tipping pretty generous (although I still don't like to). When we tip, we always give cash, especially at restaurants, and refuse to put the 10% or 20% add-on the credit card. We also inform them we are tipping because we know, especially during covid, they ARE going above and beyond being "out there" so I can enjoy my lifestyle. So, with that in mind, it's an appreciation for their service, and we always let them know that. (just an fyi, we don't eat-out all that much. Maybe once a month ... even McDonalds ... if that much).

My cousin has his own business where he has contracted with several businesses. He is notified someone purchased an item that needs to be installed. It might be weight equipment, or it might be a back-yard jungle gym for their kids. He agrees to the terms and makes an appointment for the assembly job. He tells me when he completes the job, he is offered tips often, and he never refuses them.

So in the end, I still think "tipping" should be a way of saying, "Thank-you for going above and beyond. And this is how I want to thank-you."

I just took a compliance class for the company I work for. Do you if you work for a company and, as an employee, you "tip" someone you do business with, even something as simple as an ink-pen.... it's considered a bribe! (really).

So, I guess, if you think about ... tipping is bribing, so next time you do business with "them" they will remember you and give you more attenuative service the next time. That's a bribe!

Really, do what is in your heart. No rights or wrongs.
Old 09-10-2021, 12:53 PM   #4
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
David,

There is a big difference between tipping someone working in a restaurant and a service tech. For many restaurant employees tips represent most of their income. Since Covid I have upped my tips to 25% as they took a big hit with restaurants closed.

Service techs get a much better wage from their employers or as self employed.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
Old 09-10-2021, 01:15 PM   #5
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
If someone has given good service and you have the money, why not. Most of these people have a family to support help them out a little. I tip the girls at McDonalds. While everybody else is waiting in line I’m out the door. I buy the people at the post office ice cream almost every day. They go out of their way to help me and make sure my dozens of packages are addressed correctly.
Lynwood
Old 09-10-2021, 01:40 PM   #6
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh View Post
If someone has given good service and you have the money, why not. Most of these people have a family to support help them out a little. I tip the girls at McDonalds. While everybody else is waiting in line I’m out the door. I buy the people at the post office ice cream almost every day. They go out of their way to help me and make sure my dozens of packages are addressed correctly.
Lynwood
Lynwood - you are a good neighbor!

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
Old 09-11-2021, 12:02 PM   #7
BCrute

M.O.C. #28569
Ours wouldn’t accept a tip. Stated it was against company policy.
Old 09-11-2021, 12:29 PM   #8
L0veless
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19132
Send a message via AIM to L0veless
I tried to tip rhem as I felt They went above and beyond. They would not acceot it.

After this rally the support Keystone offers I dont think I could purchase another brand.
Old 09-15-2021, 01:51 PM   #9
Kris & Al
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18907
Neighbor

Hope the AC install worked out for you guys. Pleasure living next to you for a week!
Old 09-15-2021, 02:49 PM   #10
Ahdmeyer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #24181
most restaurant waitresses dont even earn minimum wage, why i dont know how the owners get away with it but they do. i feel that i am fortunate enough to leave a good tip it would have to be pretty bad before i did not leave a tip. just my thoughts
al meyer
3931fb az
Old 09-15-2021, 04:10 PM   #11
Bob and Jeannette
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22589
I tip everyone. So when they sent a tech out to help me I gave him a 20 and said lunch is on me. They always refuse but they always take it in the end, young people have it hard enough today.
Old 09-15-2021, 04:40 PM   #12
Gunny B
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #23153
Tipping

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchmenSport View Post
I for one, am against tipping, even in restaurants. I do, but that does not mean I agree with doing it.

I have, in the past, tipped and not tipped service tech calls (not RV related). The last time I tipped was when "they" delivered our freezer and set it up for us. Another time I tipped the guy who fixed our washing machine. But the crew that re-roofed our house, the got pizza for lunch from Pizza Hut delivery.

But, there are multiple occasions I have not tipped. We have deliveries come to the house all the time. Schwans Ice cream and Hinkley water. We don't tip them when they come. But, we do give them a gift card at Christmas. But, recently, both companies have switched delivery drivers several times, just this year. So it's kind of hard developing a relationship with them. Hopefully, the current drivers will stick around long enough.

I suppose when it comes to home repairs, deliveries, and such (and that would include RV mobile techs), it's still a matter of what you want to do. There is no written "rule" or "code" that I know of that says you should or should not. I think it's all a matter of preference.

During this covid "thing", my wife and I have been tipping pretty generous (although I still don't like to). When we tip, we always give cash, especially at restaurants, and refuse to put the 10% or 20% add-on the credit card. We also inform them we are tipping because we know, especially during covid, they ARE going above and beyond being "out there" so I can enjoy my lifestyle. So, with that in mind, it's an appreciation for their service, and we always let them know that. (just an fyi, we don't eat-out all that much. Maybe once a month ... even McDonalds ... if that much).

My cousin has his own business where he has contracted with several businesses. He is notified someone purchased an item that needs to be installed. It might be weight equipment, or it might be a back-yard jungle gym for their kids. He agrees to the terms and makes an appointment for the assembly job. He tells me when he completes the job, he is offered tips often, and he never refuses them.

So in the end, I still think "tipping" should be a way of saying, "Thank-you for going above and beyond. And this is how I want to thank-you."

I just took a compliance class for the company I work for. Do you if you work for a company and, as an employee, you "tip" someone you do business with, even something as simple as an ink-pen.... it's considered a bribe! (really).

So, I guess, if you think about ... tipping is bribing, so next time you do business with "them" they will remember you and give you more attenuative service the next time. That's a bribe!

Really, do what is in your heart. No rights or wrongs.
If you are in Japan tipping is considered to be an insult to the service provider. I have been bailed out 3x on roadside breakdowns where I've tipped tow truck drivers between $50- $100. One towed us 100 miles to our house when they don't tow out of a 30 mile radius and dont take dogs or more then one passenger. Another driver took me to the car rental company in that town and waited until I got my rental vehicle before he towed the TV to the dealership, and then went back for the trailer to haul that to the nearest campgrounds. I have also tipped zero, when I had to wait three hours for a tire change north of Gulf Shores and charged 3x my tire insurance coverage. He wouldn't head in my direction on the app until paid in full.
Closed Thread