Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MONTANA OWNERS CLUB COMMUNITY > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 08-12-2022, 10:18 AM   #1
Retiredgpa57
Established Member

M.O.C. #31393
Backup camera

My 2017 is supposed to be wired for a backup camera. Does anyone know where that wiring is and can make a recommendation on which camera to get?

Retiredgpa57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2022, 10:55 AM   #2
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
This is a screen shot from Techno RV website - video showing camera replacement. My RV had a Furrion camera and I swapped it out with a VisionWorks system. The RV in the video had a Furrion black plate over the hole - no camera. The said the wire was in the hole with a mini-RCA connector, so he could have simply plugged in the new camera. He chose to cut off the mini plug and wire in his new camera in the demonstration video.

My wire was attached to the old camera. I was able to simply plug in my new camera. I assume that your pigtail is inside the hole on the back of your unit.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2022-08-12_11-54-02.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	172.0 KB
ID:	12758  
Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2022, 06:16 PM   #3
Zinnman
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #15824
Mine came prewired and the cameras fit easily into the space available. I have all 4 cameras, the back, the door and both sides. After a full year and a half I can easily say I needed only the back one. I don’t use it for backing up, only for seeing my carrier on the back. Just my opinion on the cameras.
Zinnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2022, 06:27 PM   #4
jsb5717
Montana Master

M.O.C. #23668
^^^ Ditto

Mine came prepped with the Furrion plate. The wiring was there. I also cut off the RCA connector and wired in the camera I bought on Amazon. It's just a 2-wire connection so very simple. I just have the one camera and also use it primarily to see how the stuff on my cargo deck is doing. But it does also help when I'm backing into a tighter spot.

There are lots of choices. Of course Furrion is what it's prepped for. But, IMHO, there are equal or better cameras for less money. VisionWorks and Haloview are good choices. I went with this one and it's worked very well.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2022, 07:05 PM   #5
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsb5717 View Post
.... I went with this one and it's worked very well.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Very interesting! Have you had any problems losing the picture due to the distance from the rear to the front monitor? How much time lag is there in the display v. reality?

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2022, 12:24 AM   #6
jsb5717
Montana Master

M.O.C. #23668
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl n Susan View Post
Very interesting! Have you had any problems losing the picture due to the distance from the rear to the front monitor? How much time lag is there in the display v. reality?
I'm not sure what the lag time really is but it’s probably not as real time as a wired system. But it’s worked well for my purposes in keeping an eye on our cargo deck. It also will drop a frame here and there. I recently installed a higher dbi antenna which seems to make it even cleaner. The image on the screen is clear.

Overall I thinks it’s probably as good as the other wireless cameras out there...maybe better than a lot of them since it seems to have good range.
Old 08-13-2022, 11:51 AM   #7
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
I can live with an occasional blank screen, but my current one doesn't work worth a darn even with and en extension cable to get the camera antenna near the front cap.

Thanks for the reply.

Old 08-13-2022, 12:20 PM   #8
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
Carl n Susan said "I can live with an occasional blank screen, but my current one doesn't work worth a darn even with and en extension cable to get the camera antenna near the front cap."

Carl - I have not had my rig on the road to test the extended antenna VisionWorks sent me. I hate to hear that the antenna did not improve your reception. Look at the pic below - how does this compare to the distance for your antenna and monitor screen? These are "stepped-off" dimensions.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2022-08-13_13-12-20.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	112.7 KB
ID:	12781  
Old 08-13-2022, 01:41 PM   #9
jsb5717
Montana Master

M.O.C. #23668
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikendebbie View Post
Carl n Susan said "I can live with an occasional blank screen, but my current one doesn't work worth a darn even with and en extension cable to get the camera antenna near the front cap."

Carl - I have not had my rig on the road to test the extended antenna VisionWorks sent me. I hate to hear that the antenna did not improve your reception. Look at the pic below - how does this compare to the distance for your antenna and monitor screen? These are "stepped-off" dimensions.
Interesting, my TPMS needs the intermediate antenna but my cheapo camera doesn't. It does advertise a pretty long range and seems to deliver on my 35' 5er. It was $165 when I bought it a couple years ago. Now at $130 seems like it's hard to go wrong, especially with how easy it is to return.

Edit: Just saw this one on a good sale. Also has dual antennas and boast long range. FWIW

https://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Reco...7-93deae8f9840
Old 08-13-2022, 05:53 PM   #10
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikendebbie View Post
...Look at the pic below - how does this compare to the distance for your antenna and monitor screen? These are "stepped-off" dimensions...
My extension cable ends about 18" behind the edge of the front cap. So about 15" from the receiver. Note this is a Tadi Brothers system which isn't the highly rated.

Quote:
Edit: Just saw this one on a good sale. Also has dual antennas and boast long range. FWIW

https://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Reco...7-93deae8f9840
Thanks for the latest link. At that price and return policy, I had to order it. We will see how it works.

Old 08-14-2022, 09:00 AM   #11
wjg315
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21318
I installed this one earlier this year. It works pretty good. It will occasionally go blank but it lasts for a couple seconds then it is back. I just have the antenna installed on the camera as it came. I didn't run it to the front. I think the dual antenna system helps

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078PDH6Z8...sprefix=amtifo
wjg315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2022, 09:11 AM   #12
Hblick48
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21903
My wireless rearview camera would cut out, especially when in a lot of traffic. TPMS operates in the same frequency as the camera. When I was in a lot of traffic, other tpms and cameras would cause my camera signal to drop out.

Finally hard wired the camera, clear as a bell with no drop outs.

BTW, before hard wiring, I had moved the trailers transmitter to the front closet, so the radio signal had to travel about 5 feet. Still had drop outs.
Hblick48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 03:46 PM   #13
boisesmith
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #23951
Backup camera

Retiredgpa57: By now I assume you have located the easy to access port for the back up camera. I installed a Furrion brand camera which works well. The problem is I opted for the small monitor and it is hard to see much of anything. Know too the tow vehicle lights must be on for the camera to function as the power is from the rear clearance lights.
boisesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2022, 09:43 AM   #14
Drifty1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9441
We have the Furion 4 camera system on our new trailer and it works great. I can see the cameras over a block away from the trailer. We had the Tadi brothers unit on old Montana and that was a little hit and miss at best.
Old 08-20-2022, 09:53 AM   #15
jsb5717
Montana Master

M.O.C. #23668
Quote:
Thanks for the latest link. At that price and return policy, I had to order it. We will see how it works.
Carl, just curious how this camera works for you.
Old 08-20-2022, 10:50 AM   #16
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Quote:
Carl, just curious how this camera works for you.
The camera is at the house but we aren't. We won't be home until next week some time. My first project is to try it out.

On a side note, I read that you have to contact the seller to get the free Furrion adapter and pigtail. That has proven to be a chore. None of the email addresses I have found work. There may be something in the box that helps but not until I can open it.

Old 08-20-2022, 12:38 PM   #17
jsb5717
Montana Master

M.O.C. #23668
Quote:
The camera is at the house but we aren't. We won't be home until next week some time. My first project is to try it out.

On a side note, I read that you have to contact the seller to get the free Furrion adapter and pigtail. That has proven to be a chore. None of the email addresses I have found work. There may be something in the box that helps but not until I can open it.
I know you had to contact the dealer for the bracket and pigtail when I bought mine, but I made my own. However, I think they since have started including it in the box. Let's hope...
Old 08-30-2022, 01:42 PM   #18
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
To follow up on the previous discussion. The camera was waiting for me when I arrived home. It did contain the Furrion mount and a pigtail so there is no need to contact the vendor about that. However, they offer you a free choice of another camera, or some Bluetooth doodad, or an OBD Port code reader, or something I don't remember as a reward for buying the unit. Getting one of these does require you email them for the "gift.

I was able to mount the camera pretty easily as I had previously tried a camera that sucked. I did use the bracket from the old camera as its holes lined up with the ones in the fiberglass and the new bracket didn't.

I had bench tested the camera and display before installation. They provide extra cables and a "combiner" device to make it easy. Once the camera was mounted, I turned on the running lights to get it hot. I then took the display out to the front driveway and plugged it into the truck. The RV is in the side yard about 100' from the truck with the house in between. The display has a great picture (and I haven't even taken the protective plastic screen off yet) and indicates a strong signal. I did hook the truck up as that was the downfall of the previous camera setup. With the camera on the back wall of the RV and the display on the dash almost under the front cap, the other system didn't have enough signal strength for a decent picture. This system does.

The next challenge is figuring out how to mount the display.. The Ford dash isn't hospitable to a 7" screen. It does sit nicely down by the cup holders, but management isn't going to like the loss of use of two of them. I think I can strap/band the display to the rear view mirror since it is useless when towing.

The next test is how is performs out on the road. Our next trip is a month away. I can't wait.

Old 08-30-2022, 02:05 PM   #19
jsb5717
Montana Master

M.O.C. #23668
Glad to hear that it's looking good so far. Hopefully a road test will prove as positive.
Old 08-30-2022, 02:23 PM   #20
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
When I installed my HaloView camera about this time last year - the signal to the monitor seemed to be strong and clear. I unhitched from the RV and put my truck in the carport and still had good signal and picture on the monitor. Google Earth says it was 115'! I thought "Man - this thing is the bees knees! This will be great!".

However - first trip out and the signal got spotty and delayed while in motion. My OEM low-res Furrion did the same thing...spotty AND low-res. I called the Haloview folks and they sent me a long "extension coax" and a new antenna to placee the antenna closer to the truck cab which (in theory) reduces the broadcast distance. (see post #8 above). Unfortunately we have not been anywhere in the RV for me to test it since I installed the new antenna.

Why do these things loose signal when in motion???