Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MONTANA OWNERS CLUB COMMUNITY > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 08-20-2022, 12:29 PM   #1
Oldrver

M.O.C. #27318
Slide out won’t retract

Long time follower; first time contributor. I’m sure this has probably been covered before but cannot find anything for my particular fiver. I have a 2016 293RK with an electric slide problem. My main slide does not retract without some manual help. My battery reads 13.4V so I don’t think that is the problem. It will move about six inches before it binds up and stops. Checked cables and motor and all looks good there. Possibly needs some adjustment. Any input would be appreciated.

Oldrver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2022, 04:58 PM   #2
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
I searched a bit and found some photos of a 2016 Montana High Country 293RK (floor plan below). It looks like both slides are cable slides. You might try searching for cable slide issues. I don’t have any experience with them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5F5AFA46-7712-4B6D-9D47-9E94E1B482B1.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	123.1 KB
ID:	12851  
Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2022, 05:55 PM   #3
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
What does "My main slide does not retract without some manual help." mean? People pushing make it go in? Is it getting so crooked it binds up and can't move? How about going out? Does that work?

Secondly: "My battery reads 13.4" sounds like you are plugged into shore power as that is converter level voltage. Disconnect the batteries for 30 minutes and then check the voltage at the batteries. Slides need battery power as the converter doesn't produce enough amps. A weak or dead battery will cause this symptom.

I assume you have checked all 8 cables (4 for extending and 4 for retracting) to ensure they are present and functional.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2022, 06:04 PM   #4
Oldrver

M.O.C. #27318
Going out the slide works fine. Had 2 guys help to bring it in by pushing from the outside. The slide goes straight, just needs help. All cables and pulleys in place and seem to have proper tension. You are right about the voltage. I will do as you suggest and get back to you with results. Thanks for your input.
Oldrver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2022, 11:15 PM   #5
RVlife4Us

M.O.C. #31515
Slide won’t go out

We have similar problem with our 2011 on two slides. Tech just came out and determined motors are going going bad
I recommend checking motors and voltage. May be the problem
RVlife4Us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2022, 08:26 AM   #6
Lee-CI
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30262
Like Carl said, I too would unplug from shore power for a period of time and then recheck the battery voltage. Are the batteries lead acid batteries and the original ones that came in your 293RK? If so, then they may well be past their prime. If not and you are still indicating good battery voltage even during current draw from operating the slide, then I would start looking at electrical connections for corrosion which will cause high resistance and voltage drop to the motor(s). There are others here on the forum that have cable slides who can offer other suggestions. Let us know how you come out with your issue.
Lee-CI is offline   Reply With Quote