Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 09-08-2022, 10:42 AM   #21
scottz
Site Team

M.O.C. #19755
Yes, I think slideouts with rollers are an entirely different animal. The problem we have is the friction caused by not having rollers.

scottz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2022, 10:50 AM   #22
dallasrules
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #26856
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottz View Post
I don't know what unit you have. Those of us that are doing this modification do not have rollers. The bottom of my slideout is covered with darco (that slick, black, plastic looking material) and sits directly on a wear bar. When the slideout moves, the darco is in direct contact with the wear bar and eventually starts wearing out (usually on the outer edges); not a real great design
My slide has rollers. The bottom is covered in the darco. I guess the wood started to get a little rotten, or maybe it's just the heavier mattress we added. But the roller is getting bogged down in a soft spot and tearing up the darco and the wood. I think we caught it pretty early. So I think the metal will work ok here. I am thinking I should probably go ahead and do both sides. I have to figure out how to jack up the slide that is 6' off the ground. Other than that, it looks pretty straight forward.

I have seen slides that have a hard plastic bottom as opposed to the darco. I think my daughter's fr wildcat has that. Is the darco thing just a cost issue? Cheaper for the manufacturer?
dallasrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2022, 10:56 AM   #23
scottz
Site Team

M.O.C. #19755
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasrules View Post
My slide has rollers. The bottom is covered in the darco. I guess the wood started to get a little rotten, or maybe it's just the heavier mattress we added. But the roller is getting bogged down in a soft spot and tearing up the darco and the wood. I think we caught it pretty early. So I think the metal will work ok here. I am thinking I should probably go ahead and do both sides. I have to figure out how to jack up the slide that is 6' off the ground. Other than that, it looks pretty straight forward.

I have seen slides that have a hard plastic bottom as opposed to the darco. I think my daughter's fr wildcat has that. Is the darco thing just a cost issue? Cheaper for the manufacturer?
Can't say for sure, but in the end, everything boils down to money. I just stacked up wood until a bottle jack would reach the slide beam. You only have to move it a little bit; less than 1/4". Move it too much and you will damage things where the beam goes through the frame.
scottz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2022, 05:16 PM   #24
Jeff n Susan
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #25636
I installed them on our 330. If you are mechanically inclined, they are not hard to do. The first one was a bit intimidating because of the unknown, but the second one was a breeze.
When raising the slide, it only needs to go up just far enough to slide the ski in, I would say about 1/8". Any further it would be easy enough to cause some damage to things you don't want damaged!
I seald mine with silicone sealer along the screw rail. They have been in place 2 years now with no problems at all. Good luck!
Jeff n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2022, 07:28 PM   #25
Jamesb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21011
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasrules View Post

I just finished our large slide with rollers. Mine sounds just like yours. I used two stainless steel plates, countersunk the screws and re caulked the sides. Only hard part was raising the slide enough. The rollers have a piece of rubber inside the mount that is always pushing upwards. Once I raised the slide enough, I still had to remove the roller to get the plates under them. Good luck, but metal plates are the way to go. Thin and strong.