Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 09-23-2022, 06:10 AM   #1
2015-356tbf

M.O.C. #31706
First timer 2015 BUNKHOUSE

Hello all, I have a question about my new purchase. It’s a 2015 Mountaineer 356tbf. There is no sticker indicating it has a glacier package (extra insulation) for the colder months. In the basement storage I can see the underlying plywood resting on the aluminum frame. Does this mean I have zero insulation on the floor? Is the insulation under the storage floor? I’m confused because on the brochure it lists a glacier package as a standard option but I’m having trouble finding info on this online. Finally I don’t plan on doing any cold weather camping but I’m wondering how much of a problem this will be in the spring and fall when it gets a little cooler. Thank you!
Bill

2015-356tbf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2022, 06:27 AM   #2
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
Here are a couple of pages from the 2015 Mountaineer brochure. It looks like they were insulated for ARTIC temps! You need to do some searches for what folks do to prepare their units for cold weather. "Artic Package" does not mean you can walk away with no fear of freezing pipes, pumps and holding tanks. Read up on winterizing for storing the unit.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2022-09-23_07-25-34.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	287.4 KB
ID:	13198  
Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2022, 06:40 AM   #3
2015-356tbf

M.O.C. #31706
Thanks I actually have that brochure and that’s where I saw the glacier package should be standard but I just was a little confused by the plywood I saw. other campers I looked at I could see the foil faced insulation sitting on the frame, and also there was no 4 seasons sticker anywhere!
Old 09-23-2022, 07:12 AM   #4
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
If you are crawling under your camper and looking up, and you see plywood above the frame (the floor), then you do not have any insulation of any kind under your camper. There should, at a bare minimum, be a cover inclosing the underbelly of your camper. That enclosure should be on the bottom side of the frame, the frame in the middle, and then the floor of your camper.

The older style of underbelly was a Dracor style fabric, (like a tarp) that had insulation adhered to one side and the other side (the exposed side to the road below) was a tarp type material.

The other type of covering (that sounds like it's missing) is called Chloroplast. It's the same material that is used in making yard signs for, House for Sale, For Sale by Owner, Yard Sale, Private Property, and almost every political candidate running for office sign people put up in their yards. It does not have insulation affixed to it, but there is a layer of insulation that lays on top of it.

If neither of these are there, then probably the previous owner had some kind of issue that required him/her to get in that space between the frames for some kind of a repair (most likely plumbing). Maybe they removed the heat ducks that originally ran under the floor to keep that space heated. And realized they did not need to replace the insulation or the under belly covering, or it was simply too much work to replace it.

Either way, it sounds like yours is gone. Depending upon how you plan on using your camper, it does not hurt anything to leave that space open as long as you winterize your pipes before things freeze up.

If you plan on using the camper in freeze zone areas, then you'll either need to (1) Winterize the pipes and use the camper "dry"... no water at all until you get past the freeze zone months, exaxtly as you would as if you are tent camping. No water down the drains, no water in the tanks. or (2), replace the underbelly, change the furnace vents so air blows under the floor again, and insulate. or (3) if the trailer does not move or is permanently set in one spot .... put us some heavy duty skirting and run heat under the trailer.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2022, 04:20 PM   #5
2015-356tbf

M.O.C. #31706
Thanks for such an in-depth response and for all your suggestions! The place that I saw the plywood would be in the storage compartment ceiling above the aluminum framing of the floor joists. What I think is going on, is the storage space is heated and therefore they don’t bother insulating the floor above it but do have insulation under the floor of the big storage basement. I’d post a picture, but can’t figure out how!
Old 09-23-2022, 04:24 PM   #6
2015-356tbf

M.O.C. #31706
Click image for larger version

Name:	3531D9A8-6DEF-411E-98E5-B824D0138281.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	13201 Trying to upload a pic
Old 09-23-2022, 04:25 PM   #7
2015-356tbf

M.O.C. #31706
I wouldn’t think the doors provided much insulation tho even if there’s plenty underneath
Old 09-23-2022, 06:03 PM   #8
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
My unit is the same. They don’t insulate that area. Thanks for posting the pic!
Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, glacier package, insulation