Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HEY KEYSTONE! > What I'd like to say if...
Click Here to Login

Old 06-05-2023, 04:49 PM   #1
Thin Blue Line

M.O.C. #29979
Post NOT Happy with Keystone Customer Service !!!

Sept 2021- We sold our house & picked up our 2022 Legacy Package Montana 5th Wheel with all the bells and whistles mid-September 2021. We thought our dream had begun, but it was actually a bit of a 20-month nightmare. By the end of Sept 2021, the furnace would not work on electricity, only gas. We called Keystone & went online & filled out the form as Keystone requested….did not get a response from Keystone.

Sept 2021 thru Jan 2022 - We contacted several dealers (in 6 surrounding states) for repairs & we were told that since we did not purchase our rig from them, they could not help us. We were in Montana & the dealer was in Indiana & they were not returning our calls. So, we contacted Keystone several more times & received no help.

Feb 2022 - We contacted Keystone, once again & finally got a response from them on 2/22/22 (yes 5 months later). We are now in Arizona. We emailed them everything they asked for including photos & detailed dates & information. Keystone went back and forth by email trying to send us parts that were not in our rig. We custom ordered our rig, they built it, and they should know what is in it. Once again, we emailed Keystone the photos requested, yet they requested the photos time & time again.

April 2022 - So, by early April 2022 we are now heading back to Montana. Keystone googled Mobile RV Repair & emailed the list to us. One was retired & one was NOT certified. This was after they sent us a list for AZ after we had already left AZ. We emailed Keystone our travel dates, but they apparently do not read the emails.

May through Aug 2022 - So, in the spring & summer of 2022, we give up for now. No RV Dealers or Certified Mobile RV Techs to help in our area.

Nov 2022 - Fast forward to November 2022. We are back in Arizona & have found a CERTIFIED Mobile RV Tech that can help us. Diagnostic is done. I send Keystone the paid invoice. They request the same photos as before, so I email them AGAIN.
We are now having slide issues. The slides were not installed correctly. The Certified Mobile RV Tech looks at it and adds the diagnosis to his invoice. The invoice includes his contact info…..yet we are asked for his contact info & the diagnosis that is ON the invoice I sent them.
We are now being told that our rig is out of warranty, even though the issues are on the Keystone side.

Jan 2023 - So, we pay for the Coleman unit & the Lippert parts in early January 2023.
Parts finally arriving by the end of March that the RV Mobile Tech will install at our RV site. We are yet asked again, where are appointment is & on what “exact” date. Please, Keystone, read your emails.

4/7/23 – Sent an email to Keystone with a PDF of the invoices for parts & labor only.

4/12/23 – We leave AZ for TN.

4/14/23 – Below response from Keystone asking for 7 more things. This is the first request for these items. They could have done this back in November of 2022, 5 months earlier.

In order for us to be able to look into this further we will need all of the below information. We will also need the mobiles email so I may send him a diagnostic sheet that needs filled out. Without any of this information we will be unable to assist with the invoices sent in.

1. Slide
a. We must have clear pictures of the defect
b. We must have pictures showing the need for columns to be replaced
c. We must have a picture of the manufacture label from the slide columns that were replaced (not from the new)
d. 8 measurements showing the slide is installed square
2. A/C
a. We must have a picture of manufacture model/serial number label of the defective
b. We must have the model/serial number label (larger label on the upper unit) removed from the defective and attached to a blank piece of paper
c. Mobile must fill out Diagnostic sheet

We email everything we have. Keystone requests the same info from us that was in our previous emails sent to them.

4/21/23 through 5/22/23 - Back & forth again with emails. They are asking for the same info over & over. I do not know what else to say or do.

5/26/23 – below email from Keystone:

After looking into this further with Coleman they had this escalated onto upper management on their end trying to get this approved. However, they have respectfully denied participation on the coverage of this due to not having the full information needed. We will still be assisting with coverage on the slide portion which will be $1,879.95. I have attached here a W9 and cover letter form that we will need signed, dated and sent back to us for processing.

Yes, so after 20 months of dealing with Keystone & their hoops, they have denied 1 of our 2 claims. I have all of the photos I emailed them & all the emails back and forth.

Thin Blue Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 06:14 PM   #2
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
Sorry to hear about your situation. But something doesn't sound right. Is this your first new RV?

Honestly I wouldn't dare to purchase a new RV without doing a through PDI and local ring out. Meaning I wouldn't take it farther then I was willing to travel back to the dealership that I purchased it from for repairs. And I wouldn't have purchased it from a dealer that didn't have a good reputation.

If I were in your situation were it sounds like you purchased and hit the road, I wouldn't be relying on email. I'd be on the phone with a manager. You have 12 months to find and report all of the bugs. Once you open a warranty claim it says open until resolved. But you still have to jump through hoops.

Had you asked, I (like others here) would have suggested that you identify qualified, certified dealers or mobile techs along your route and destination for just such a situation.

I wholeheartedly believe that Keystone cares about it's reputation and customers but they do have to follow their warranty policies and processes. Especially when dealing with the first line of defense warranty person. Escalate, document and be persistent! Dated picture also help.

I'm on my second new Keystone trailer and both took 12 months to ring out 95% of the bugs. If you have a good relationship with your service department they will fight for you.

Good luck and keep us informed.
Old 06-05-2023, 06:46 PM   #3
Thin Blue Line

M.O.C. #29979
Hi Tony & Donna,

Thank you for the info.

This is our second Montana. Our first was for vacation & we are full-timers in this one. We bought them both new, one off the lot & ordered this one.

We tried to order one through our local dealers & they said no, that we could only buy from the inventory on their lot. So, we expanded outward from our location & they all said the same thing.

We do love our 5th wheel & living in it. It's just frustrating.

We feel like they try to make it frustrating so you just give up. Live & learn.

I will keep you posted if anything changes.
Thin Blue Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 07:33 PM   #4
firestation12
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #24588
Finding a Keystone dealer that will fix a camper sold at another dealer is a common complaint not just for Keystone but for most other brands. When you are traveling from place to place it adds to the difficulty. You didn’t say what the diagnosis for the electric heat not working. I’m assuming you are referring to the heat pump feature of one of your A/Cs. If the malfunction was it would not heat in a cold climate, that may have been normal thing. If the temperature dips below 40 degrees the heat pump will not operate. Basically anything short of a failed compressor should have been easier to fix without Keystone’s cooperation. The same might apply to the slide issue. I’d be curious to know what the tech discovered, that you were not aware of til he said something. I too had a couple things that should have been paid for by keystone, but I gave up before I let them sour me. You may be in the same boat. Best of luck.
firestation12 is offline   Reply With Quote