Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 04-30-2023, 05:50 PM   #1
182flyer
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #30432
Roof sealant

My search turned up more questions than answers. We used 303 sealant on our new 2013 Mountaineer every year after spring wash and usually again after fall wash before winter. 2013 thru 2021=no issues just repaired dried caulk issues. Now, our 2022 HC has a different roof and this spring wash will be our first serious clean and seal roof & clean/spray on wax for coach. This HC has a different roofing material and asking for opinions on best sealant. Is 303 still good for this roof. As far as asking dealer or manufacture, my opinion is they aren't paying the bills and I trust end users more for these types of questions.
Thanks
Jack

182flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2023, 05:55 PM   #2
182flyer
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #30432
I think I misstated title: instead of "Sealant" I'm looking for UV protection.
Old 04-30-2023, 06:40 PM   #3
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Jack,

A little dawn and water is all you should need to clean your roof. Also recommend covered storage if it is available near you.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2023, 06:35 AM   #4
182flyer
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #30432
Thanks AZ; but the UV protection is the big item for me. Used 303 for 8+ yrs on last rig but this new HC has a different roof; kind of a sheet of rubber whereas the 2013 had more like a building rubber roof.
Old 05-01-2023, 06:41 AM   #5
ep4me
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #32135
Go on alpha systems products website which is lippert stuff which I think is what keystone uses on everything, they make several that will work for you

here is the link https://alphallc.us/products/adhesiv...ants-cleaners/
ep4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2023, 06:52 AM   #6
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
About a year after we got our Montana I asked one of the local dealerships I was at (we were traveling at the time), what should be used on the roof. I'd never done anything with it the first year. I have the Alpha roof system. I did some recalking with Alpha roof calk. I did not use Dicor, I used the Alpha brand. That was the first suggestion.

The second suggestion was Spic-n-span for washing the roof, or any RV rubber roof cleaner, or even Dawn Dishwashing liquid.

But he said to condition the roof with RV Rubber Roof Conditioner. I was really surprised to hear this since the roof was the Alpha system. I'd been using RV Rubber Roof Conditioner on all my prior travel trailers. I followed his advise and I've washed the roof and conditioned it every year in the Spring ever since.

I found the easiest way to apply the Rubber Roof Conditioner is to pour a small amount on the roof and then spread it with a squeegee. You can do it with a sponge mop, but you loose a lot that way, and it leave a heavy thick layer on the roof which is not necessary. The squeegee will spreads the Conditioner very, very thin, filling in the fine pours in the rubber membrane and make it smooth and soft and SLICK as a new born baby butt!

More you do not need to do.

Just beware, if you use any kind of soap on the roof, it will wash over the sides of the camper and streak the sides. So, after doing the roof, you really do need to get around and spray down and even soft brush the sides of the camper too. Otherwise, you'll have streaks on the side. Dawn will remove any wax. Spick n span will glow under a black light (really)!

About the calking, if you have the Alpha system, then get the Alpha calking brand. If you anything else, Dicor is what you want. Nothing else.

Also, I've resealed only a couple very, very tiny spots on my roof caulking only 1 time in 5 years now. I get on the roof every time I pull the slides in to brush off the slides (every time, regardless of where or how long we've been parked), and every time I walk carefully and really look at the calking, inspecting for cracks. I look as if it's the very first time I'm inspecting. ... every time.

I do 2 treatments with the RV Rubber Roof Conditioner. The first will use considerably more. The second treatment (wait 24 hours) will use about 1/4 of the amount you used on the first treatment. When I do mine, I can now expect to use a gallon and and 1/4 (using a squeegee) for the 2 back-to-back treatments. My Montana is 41 feet long with 4 slides. I originally purchased 2 gallons. (actually I had some left over from my previous campers). And then I purchase 1 new gallon every year. What I don't use up this year, I'll use it next year first. I keep it stored in my heated garage, not the cold garage and it's perfectly OK the next year to use. If it freezes, I'd not use it.

So, if Alpha, use Alpha Calking, any cleaner, and Rubber Roof Conditioner:

click here
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2023, 11:16 AM   #7
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
I googled "TPO roof and UV damage" and read several articles out of curiosity.
Curious - because I work in commercial construction. TPO membrane roofs are the most common roofs out there these days. I do not work in the roofing industry - we hire roofing companies to install and warrant the roof for (typically) 1 year. I rarely (I should say never!) hear about roofs being replaced due to roof failure from UV damage.

TPO membrane roofs have been around since the early 90's.
The expected life of a TPO roof is 20-30 years.
The most common cause of failure (besides a puncture or tear) is seam adhesive failure due to exposure to UV light. Our RVs do not have a seam. We have a one-piece TPO roof.

As a building roof gets dirty, it does not reflect as much UV light as it did when it was new, and this can expose the seam adhesives to UV light and failure. Seams come apart and leak due to adhesive failure.

Close to ZERO Percent (0%) of commercial building owners wash their roofs, and they still generally get 20-30 years. The manufacturer advises us to wash our RV roofs at least once per year. I plan to wash my roof twice per year.

I have never worked on, or bid on a project that included coating an existing TPO roof with any type of coating, white or other color. On a RV - I suppose a fresh white coat of something the membrane manufacturer said would properly adhere to the membrane and "refresh" the UV reflective characteristics of the roof - a salesman at a RV show might convince me to try it out...but it sounds like a lot of expense and work for a small return. I would probably pass and just wash my roof off, and call it good.

Seems to me that the self-leveling sealant on our RV roofs is much more worthy of attention and inspection than the UV reflectivity of the TPO membrane.
Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2023, 07:41 PM   #8
ep4me
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #32135
On the keystone owners website:

https://www.keystonerv.com/owners-how-to/rv-roof-faqs
ep4me is offline   Reply With Quote