Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 05-05-2023, 12:11 PM   #1
driller
Established Member

M.O.C. #24037
Springs / Load balance suspension

I have a 2020 331rl and the port side of the 5th wheel sits 1.5 to 2 inches lower than the starboard side. This is the side with the residential refrigerator, stove, and pantry.

After our recent travels on I40, the side was noticeably lower, and upon inspection, the leaf springs on the port side were flat-lined. They were 5 leaf springs, so I replaced all four leaf springs with 6 leaf springs. However, now the port side is still lower when hooked up to the TV. (but not near as much) The springs are not flat-lined but are considerably flatter compared to the starboard side.

What are possible options to level/balance the suspension? Helper springs, airbags?

thanks!

Old 05-05-2023, 12:59 PM   #2
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
The only way I know to fix it would be heaver axles to support the weight evenly. You might be able to add air bags and use them to level the rig. I'd call Lippert and talk to a pro.
Old 05-05-2023, 05:04 PM   #3
bshgto
Montana Master

M.O.C. #16013
time will tell

first thing you need to do is get all four wheels weighed so you know what your dealing with Then call keystone for the specs. Or call Lippert for their opinion. (yeh good luck with that.) Don`t start replacing things until you have the information you need to fix it. I`m sure they all don't do that so it will be specific to your trailer. Bent, broken, worn out something............
F350 Ford Dually 4:10`s w/bags (payload 5595 lbs) Sumo Springs 63 gal aux tank
Reese Goosebox Mor/Ryde SRE 4000 X Factors Monroe shocks.... real smooth ride
bshgto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2023, 05:05 AM   #4
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
Agree with above. Once you know the specs and where you are weight wise, you could add air bags or Sumo Springs to help support the trailer on the axles.
RMcNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2023, 09:33 AM   #5
driller
Established Member

M.O.C. #24037
There is definitely more weight on that side, as it has the heavy kitchen slide and the bedroom slide as well. You can see it with the compression on the new springs.

As an afterthought, I probably should have only upgraded the port side springs to the 6-leaf, as that probably would have balanced the loads.

The entire suspension was checked when the new springs were installed, as nothing appears bent or broken.

Airbags seem my only choice, but I have never heard of airbags installed on a 5th wheel.
Old 05-06-2023, 10:11 AM   #6
Cbrez
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #28306
If there is an Escapees SmartWeigh location near you, I’d recommend you make an appointment and get your rig weighed. They weigh each tire independently and will tell you exactly what your weight distribution is. We got weighed a few months ago and found out we’re 100 lbs heavier on our kitchen slide side, so we now shift 50 lbs (tools) to the opposite side before we travel.

They weigh the truck by itself before they weigh the truck/RV together. Found out how much lighter the front end of the truck is when we’re hooked up. Makes sense, just never thought about it before. Cost was $70 which I thought was worth it.

https://escapees.com/education/smartweigh/
Cbrez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2023, 12:43 PM   #7
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
I have used truck scales to get accurate weights. They have at least 2, probably 3 sections to divide up the truck and axles. I always put the 2 rig axles on different sections.

Then one time just to check, I had the right side just off the scales and only got the left side, again on 2 different sections. This only works well if the edge around the scale is pretty much the same height as the scales. But it did show my left side with kitchens slide (and stove and storage) and the water heater was heavier. But I have no noticeable sag, etc on either side.

Good luck

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2023, 05:24 PM   #8
bshgto
Montana Master

M.O.C. #16013
Quote:
Originally Posted by driller View Post
There is definitely more weight on that side, as it has the heavy kitchen slide and the bedroom slide as well. You can see it with the compression on the new springs.

As an afterthought, I probably should have only upgraded the port side springs to the 6-leaf, as that probably would have balanced the loads.

The entire suspension was checked when the new springs were installed, as nothing appears bent or broken.

Airbags seem my only choice, but I have never heard of airbags installed on a 5th wheel.
It doesn`t matter if all the heavy appliances are on one side, the camper was designed to sit level with that stuff reasonably loaded. This would be a topic of discussion with this model unit if they ALL did that. You need to get all 4 wheels weighed. Your camper will lean to one side if your grossly overloaded on that side and it would have to be significate to do that and should be way obvious as to why. Cheap springs, wrong size springs, bent, broken, misapplication of some thing, or your wife has brought everything plus the kitchen sink and put it all on that side The only thing that`s going to make a camper lean is weight or broken parts. Air bags are not the answer.
F350 Ford Dually 4:10`s w/bags (payload 5595 lbs) Sumo Springs 63 gal aux tank
Reese Goosebox Mor/Ryde SRE 4000 X Factors Monroe shocks.... real smooth ride
bshgto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2023, 04:10 PM   #9
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
The answer is expensive but if you get your unit to more ride and have an independent suspension put on they can do wonders with leveling your unit out. They can put heavier rubber springs on the heavier side or add a little bit more steel to raise that side up
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2023, 08:23 PM   #10
Mark7
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19032
At least it is the port side that is lower. Crown of the road factored in and you might be level.
Mark7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2023, 05:42 AM   #11
ep4me
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #32135
Wow lots of stuff going on here they are so many reasons why the axle springs are flat broken etc. hit a pot hole on that side at speed, back into over a curb or hole hole turn a corner over a curb or pothole, drove down a bad road at one time and 10000 other reasons why the springs are flat. Not to mention that all rvs are built with the minimum standards for axle, frame, spring requirements to save money.
the trailers are design to distribute weight across the whole system as was mentioned above please do not make one side heavier springs than the other they need to be equal on both sides otherwise asking for problems, unless you want to drive in circles. It's fine to put heavier springs, air bags, change axles etc. just make everything equal. And if you change things or put new springs on that broken side have your axles aligned they can get out of alignment for all the reasons above.
ep4me is offline   Reply With Quote