Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 05-21-2023, 02:49 PM   #1
jstadler
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19913
New trailer dry run

I had a thought, what if dealers sold the extended warrantee and had the buyer pay 1,500 extra to do 8 hours of dry runs on the rig. This would include all electronics cycling all movable parts slides, anything that can fail early. Remote systems management like in command or Firefly etc. All tanks fill, drain, confirm monitoring for status, all water systems, heater, AC all of them heat pumps is included, hitching and unhitching and oh my any hydraulic or electric leveling. This would mean cycling all of this at least three times check list to confirm it works. I know they do a delivery check but lets face it there is such a great need to do this right with a guarantee to the buyer. I have a friend of a 100,000 dollar plus trailer that may be totaled because of issues. I know many if not all have issues on new trailers that can take forever to fix.

The last option for the buyer is if not fixed in a week the buyer can get all their money back. By time we get accountability Camping World are you listening?

jstadler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2023, 03:06 PM   #2
Rotnjonny
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #32150
Why would I pay more to have them do a quality and operational inspection that should already be done? Imagine paying $100k for a car and it failing on the way home. It happens. But after 40 plus years in the auto industry I can tell you it doesn’t happen at the rate that I see (and personally experience) the failures in the RV industry.
Rotnjonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2023, 03:27 PM   #3
jstadler
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19913
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotnjonny View Post
Why would I pay more to have them do a quality and operational inspection that should already be done? Imagine paying $100k for a car and it failing on the way home. It happens. But after 40 plus years in the auto industry I can tell you it doesn’t happen at the rate that I see (and personally experience) the failures in the RV industry.
What does it cost you to bring it back many times and poor repairs, add it up, don't be synical be open minded. Note my last comment contact full return of money if they fail to satisfy you. This is not a car it's a trailer slapped together by unskilled labor.

Make sense? Otherwise no one buy's a trailer witout some issues many are major that are never addressed by the dealer.

Office of acccount ability in each dealer that can't escape ownership, document with phone, iPad Android etc. Buyer be ware.
Old 05-21-2023, 04:50 PM   #4
Theunz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18384
Because they would “sort of” do everything in one hour and tell you they spent eight hours. No thanks!
Old 05-21-2023, 06:14 PM   #5
jstadler
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19913
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theunz View Post
Because they would “sort of” do everything in one hour and tell you they spent eight hours. No thanks!
If you belive that than you don't really undestand what I am suggesting. Change is hard but possible. The industry will be challanged in the future as the economey changes.

Look at this as how not how it's not possible perhaps others can see opportunity in this suggestion. Good luck with your efforts.
Old 05-22-2023, 08:26 AM   #6
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
First off trailers aren't cars and can't be compared to them. I discovered that with my first trailer purchase. I thought the same thing and used that analogy with the dealership. Secondly they pay a guy to do PDI and he's looking for warranty repairs. It's only then does the dealership get paid to do repairs that should have been done at the factory.

If they were to charge the consumer to do a PDI, the dealership would have to assume some warranty on the items they repaired.

At the end of the day as sad as it is, quality control issues will continue as long as supply and demand remains high. As long as we continue to demand product it will remain status quo. What is needed is a class action and oversight. But careful what you ask for. Better quality equals more money!
Old 05-22-2023, 09:58 AM   #7
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Unfortunately, RV dealerships are NOT Wall Marts with liberal refund or exchange policies. Part of the problem to your idea is the fact, then when RV are pulled off the dealership lot by the new owner,.... that's just it.... they are the new owner. The license plate, the state registration, and the vehicle title is now registered with the state. In order to get a "return policy" in place like that will simply be too complicated for every state's automobile registration and titling process. Think about it? Not to mention Insurances, loans and everything else when someone drives away dragging a trailer behind them from the dealership lot.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2023, 02:29 PM   #8
steiny93
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17461
Getting a customer to pay extra for a dealer todo there job (a job which already is supposed to be done) isn't going to work as the trust in the dealer is broken.

But...
Paying a premier service todo a predelivery for a customer, totally doable.
steiny93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2023, 05:59 PM   #9
jstadler
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19913
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiny93 View Post
Getting a customer to pay extra for a dealer todo there job (a job which already is supposed to be done) isn't going to work as the trust in the dealer is broken.

But...
Paying a premier service todo a predelivery for a customer, totally doable.
I guess you missed my point, there is a full out for the customer. This creates a liability for the dealer opening the door in the future for legal options.

Think bigger.
Old 05-23-2023, 07:21 AM   #10
steiny93
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17461
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstadler View Post
I guess you missed my point, there is a full out for the customer. This creates a liability for the dealer opening the door in the future for legal options.

Think bigger.
The above doesn't make any sense 'creates a liability'; customers have already purchased a product and a service from a dealer, this extra purchase doesn't change liablities.

Bringing legal into this mix will only enrich lawyers at the expense of the customers.

Adding lawyers will not improve this transaction.
steiny93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2023, 07:01 PM   #11
jstadler
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19913
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstadler View Post

Think bigger.
Well see if a dealer will agree if they do that tells you something if not that also tells you something.

I won't respond anymore I guess thinking outside the box is not for this group. Good luck!
Old 05-29-2023, 11:19 AM   #12
Byron B
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18751
I think this particular group is very inclined to think out of the box. We also depend on each other for information and knowledge. Many of us here have been RVing for many years and have owned and full timed in multiple Rvs, having been through the purchasing process numerous times. The idea you have may seem wonderful to you but to some of us it is not workable, for not only the reasons offered above.
Byron B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2023, 12:32 PM   #13
LeftOverParts
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #32230
I have to agree that there's a lot of out of the box, creative thinking here. Just bc folks raise actual challenges or objections doesn't mean they're unthinking. Ideas are easy and solutions for something like this would take a lot of hard work and time. Not saying it wouldn't be worth it.

The concept of accountability is a good one. However, reliance on inspection went out in the 80's but sadly, many companies and processes still depend on it. Basically, the current process is the dealer is the final inspector and fixer. If it doesn't work, any fixes are all after the fact with all the hassle the mfr, dealer, and we experience. It would be best if Keystone and other mfrs worked on better designs, mistake proofing during assembly, and worker training to avoid the problems we experience. Then, they wouldn't have as many warranty issues/payments/unmotivated dealers and unhappy customers. Everyone would be better off.

Just my $0.02.

Tags
dry run, verify rig trouble free