Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 05-29-2023, 11:09 AM   #1
ctwebb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13637
Electrical problem

Hi all. I went to replace the bulb in the pendant light over the sink. While the know blown bulb was removed , i turned on the switch to make sure the second light was working. That bulb was very dim compared to normal. So I replace both bulbs and now neither will come on ,Bulbs that were replace was with the same bulb #s. The switch also controls three for four led puck lights in the ceiling and they will not work either. Everything was working fine before the known blown bulb was removed. I'm thinking maybe a bad light switch? all other 12v lights are working normal. Fuses have been checked and nothing has been blown or tripped.
I have a 2014 HC 318Re.
Thanks for any help in advance.
Chris.

ctwebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2023, 11:25 AM   #2
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
How did you check the fuse? Meter? Pull the fuse for visual? Look at blown fuse indicator LED?

You can usually tell an open fuse by looking at it. But not always. And the blown fuse indicator LED will only illuminate if the fuse is blown and it is connected to a completed circuit. Meaning the switch is on and bulb(s) is in the socket providing a path to ground.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2023, 11:34 AM   #3
ctwebb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13637
I just looked for the blown fuse indicator. I also have 12v lights working in the rest of the coach.
Old 05-29-2023, 12:19 PM   #4
LeftOverParts
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #32230
Recommend physically checking the fuse.

I realize you said the new bulbs are the same as old but the dim bulb suggests it runs on a different voltage or you have high resistance in the line.

If the fuse is good, you might remove both new bulbs and see if the 12V puck lights work. Then try the old, good bulb. If they work, you know it's not the switch. If the pucks still don't work, check the switch.

I suppose it's possible you lost a ground or wire connection but seems remote.

Might be worth confirming the bad bulb is actually bad - either with a meter or installing it where the good bulb was.

Good luck!
Old 05-29-2023, 12:25 PM   #5
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
I am assuming the lights not working are also 12 vdc, not 120 vac.

There may be more than one fuse for the various groups of lights. Was the light switch on when you checked the blown fuse indicator? As I mentioned, the indicator will not illuminate unless the switch is on and at least one bulb is good.
Old 05-29-2023, 02:29 PM   #6
ctwebb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13637
Okay, a little more investigating. Yes with the switch on it has blown a fuse. I removed the pendant bulbs and the LED puck lights work. Soon as i plug in the 1141LL bulbs in either pendant with new or old bulb it blows a fuse instantly. I have removed the one pendant that had the original blown bulb to make sure wiring is connected and to make sure nothing was grounding out. Is it possible the light socket has gone bad ?
Old 05-29-2023, 02:51 PM   #7
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Sockets do fail but usually just don’t work well. I have never seen one fail shorted. What amp size fuse is it blowing?
Old 05-29-2023, 03:25 PM   #8
ctwebb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13637
15 amp . it pops soon as the switch is on
Old 05-29-2023, 03:43 PM   #9
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
It does sound as though at least one of those sockets is shorted. With both bulbs out and switch is on, plug in one bulb at a time to see which one blows the fuse.
Old 06-19-2023, 01:01 PM   #10
Kfinnert
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #32153
Good afternoon -

I would concur with BB TX. It sounds like a short. It would be worth your time to pull checking the switch and the light fixture and assess the wiring to ensure all is connected correctly and there are no lose or worn wires causing a short.

In an earlier POST I mentioned an issue with the plugs in my kitchen. I discovered a wire had come lose in the wall switch for the ceiling fan, which happened to also power the plugs in the kitchen. It was a real head scratcher unit I found the lose wire and realized how the power had been run.

Good luck
Kfinnert is offline   Reply With Quote