Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 07-17-2023, 04:20 AM   #1
Gbailey9099
Established Member

M.O.C. #26123
Lost AC power and some outlets

Hey all.
Montana 375FL 2018 here.

Had a good storm with heavy rain and lightning all day yesterday. Sometime during the day the outlets in the front of the camper went out, as did one outlet in the kitchen and both AC units. I’m assuming they all run off a different type of power than the appliances that are still running, which is about half the outlets, the fridge etc. only one outlet had the GFCI reset button which it’s not letting me push it down in any way.

I checked all the breakers and the fuses. They were fine but I reset all breakers. Reset the breaker on the panel I’m hooked into outside. Supposed to be 90F all week. Haven’t ever had this issue and am really bad with electrical.

Thanks all in advance. Have a good week.

Gbailey9099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2023, 05:50 AM   #2
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
With as many items not having power I would look at one leg of your power source at the pedestal or at your power circuit breaker box. It will require a VOM and some knowledge of electrical safety.

Good luck and safe travels.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2023, 07:49 AM   #3
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
The other odd thing to me - Usually the A/Cs are on the two opposite electrical wires to one doesn't get overloaded. So if it is a bad wire, I would think one line (A/C) would still work.

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2023, 09:13 AM   #4
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Agree each AC should be on separate line but may not be the case.
Until the problem is found you will not know.
Best of luck
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2023, 09:20 AM   #5
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
A voltmeter is essential to quickly find the issue. Check the power pedestal for 120 vac on both hot pins. If good, unplug your power cord from the trailer and check the cord connector for 120 vac on both hot pins. If good, open your breaker panel and check for 120 vac on both hot legs in that panel. That will either find the problem or eliminate the most likely failure places.

The two A/Cs are normally on different hot legs. But don’t assume they always are.

If not comfortable troubleshooting live 120 vac then have park maintenance check the pedestal for you. If it is good then call a mobile RV repair service to check your trailer.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2023, 03:44 PM   #6
Gbailey9099
Established Member

M.O.C. #26123
So thanks as always. Appreciate all you guys that always give me a hand on here when needed.

I ended up grabbing an electrician off our job site today and had him look at it. Seems the issue was with the 50 amp power cable head, where it hooks into the camper. Wasn’t getting a reading on that at first but after moving it around it started working. Everything running like normal as soon as we did that.
Old 07-17-2023, 04:27 PM   #7
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
OK, that’s not good. Sounds like a loose of poor connection. There have been a number of reports about bad wire connections in the connector mounted to the trailer. And some of those ended up overheating and ruining the trailer connector and, in some cases, the power cord connector. Would be a good idea to remove the connector from the back of the trailer and check that wiring.

There was a discussion on the same problem just a few days ago. Will see if I can find it.

Edit: here it is.
https://www.montanaowners.com/forums...ad.php?t=89513
Old 07-17-2023, 05:57 PM   #8
Gbailey9099
Established Member

M.O.C. #26123
Quote:
Originally Posted by BB_TX View Post
OK, that’s not good. Sounds like a loose of poor connection. There have been a number of reports about bad wire connections in the connector mounted to the trailer. And some of those ended up overheating and ruining the trailer connector and, in some cases, the power cord connector. Would be a good idea to remove the connector from the back of the trailer and check that wiring.

There was a discussion on the same problem just a few days ago. Will see if I can find it.

Edit: here it is.
https://www.montanaowners.com/forums...ad.php?t=89513
Glad to read about that. My electrical knowledge is sketchy at best but I might have to unscrew that receptacle and take a look inside. I’d hate to call a repair guy if I don’t need it. But my electrician did tell me to check for hot spots on the power cable when I’m running the AC units. If I’m able to find a hot spot there might also eliminate the need to dig any deeper. Thanks for the reply.
Old 07-17-2023, 06:19 PM   #9
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Also, that is a twist lock connector. So when you plug in the power cord be sure to turn that connector until it locks in place to ensure it doesn’t back out.
Old 08-03-2023, 08:54 AM   #10
Maddog
Established Member

M.O.C. #18615
Send a message via AIM to Maddog
Had something similar. Found a breaker panel under the front storage bay. Started pulling fuses. Two twenty amps were blown. One so bad if it had a wire inside you couldn’t find one. Good luck
Maddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2023, 02:21 PM   #11
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gbailey9099 View Post
So thanks as always. Appreciate all you guys that always give me a hand on here when needed.

I ended up grabbing an electrician off our job site today and had him look at it. Seems the issue was with the 50 amp power cable head, where it hooks into the camper. Wasn’t getting a reading on that at first but after moving it around it started working. Everything running like normal as soon as we did that.
I had the same problem.
Attached Images

Old 08-08-2023, 09:26 AM   #12
DebNJim B
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21158
Also to note that the horizontal twist lock connection on the rig puts a nasty strain on the wires in that plug.
A good investment is a 90 degree dog bone.
https://www.amazon.com/Marinco-ParkP...75&sr=8-4&th=1
A bit expensive but well worth it in the long run. You may have to rotate the receptacle on the camper, but that's a 5 minute job.

DebNJim B is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric, gfci, power