Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Solar, Charging Systems, Batteries and Electrical
Click Here to Login

Old 12-24-2006, 05:47 AM   #1
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by rlrich

I am going to purchase and install some sort of high/low voltage and power spike protection. Does anyone have any experience with the Surge Guard products? How complicated is the installation of the hardwired version? The portable version would be much simpler to install but also much simpler to be stolen. These are a bit pricey but I'm sure it's just as anything else, you get what you pay for.
Since we have been full timing (Nov 2000--now), we have seen three rigs have appliances destroyed due to power surges. We purchased both the 30 and 50 amp Surge Guards from Camping World (just got the 50 amp 2 months ago). They are portable but Camping World also sells a locking system whereby you can lock the surge guard to the cable and then to a slide rail on the rig.

I think we all understand that if someone wants to steal something, they will. Those who are bent on thievery usually carry a pair of bolt cutters and drive a fast vehicle. For me, if they want my system so bad that they will go to all the trouble to cut my cable and have to wind up 30-50 feet of power cable in order to scram, well I guess they can have it. I'm not going to cry over it. I won't like it, but I will make it as difficult for them as I can.

One reason we went to the portable Surge Guards was because we didn't know how long we would keep this rig. It's been since May of 2000 and we are still in it.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote