Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 09-13-2023, 05:02 PM   #1
Byron B
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18751
How has your age changed your rving?

I am including the time and/or miles per day you are willing to drive to the maintenance and repairs you are willing to do yourself.
Personally, three years ago we changed our driving habits from whatever it takes to get there NOW to a maximum of 6 hours per day or 300 miles. I used to tow at 70-75 mph. Now 65-67 mph.
I am still doing much of the maintenance and many of the repairs. This year I quit with anything on the roof; i did however replace 3 plumbing vents and an attic vent and reseal each one. I had a total ankle replacement in January this year and still don’t have all the necessary balance back and only about 60% of my previous agility and strength.
Some things such as wheel bearing repacking will wait until next year to see if I will continue to do them. If I have a flat on the road, as I fired the worthless GS roadside non assistance, I will change it myself with the aid of my battery powered impact gun and the self leveling on the fiver. I turn 70 this year in December.

How about you?

Byron B is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2023, 07:24 PM   #2
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
77 and still feeling good. I go the senior fitness center 3 times a week doing treadmill and full weight circuit. Grandson has taken up golf and got me back to playing after a 15 year break. Don’t do everything as fast as I used to but can still (mostly) get it all done. Wife still in very good health also. Enjoying what we can as long as we can. We have been blessed.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2023, 08:04 PM   #3
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
I too am 77 and not doing some of the maintenance I used to. 3 years ago doctor strongly advised me to give up Volleyball as I kept tearing a calf muscle and would be out 3 days to 3 weeks. He said if I completely tore it, I would be messed up for 6 months and if I tear the achilles it is a year. VB was the only motivation I had for going to the gym and always worked out 20 or 30 minutes before VB. So Now I only go 3 or 4 times a year, but wife and I have vowed to get back to it.

I don't do things where I have to crawl underneath (for long) and never packed bearings or rotated tires. I will do slide seals and lube the vent gaskets (when I remember). I was planning to go until at least 80, but have slowed down a lot in the last couple of years so we will see!!

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2023, 09:20 PM   #4
Gonefishing
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #33285
Turn 71 in a few weeks. Lost a leg above the knee when I was 29 but had continued to do everything until I was 60. Then I stopped roofing. Still able to do most of my stuff my self. However, don’t climb ladders anymore and stay off of roofs. Can’t left much like I once did so takes more trips to move stuff. Now just enjoying retirement fishing, camping and woodworking.
2021 Montana 3761fl pulled with a 2022 F350 King Ranch
Gonefishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2023, 04:20 AM   #5
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
I read this forum to try to learn how to do the stuff I have never done or have no experience. I can still get up on the roof. I’m 68 and was planning to retire at 70 then hit the road. That may change however…DW and I meet with oncologist this morning to get her treatment plan. She has a neuro endocrine tumor upper left abdomen the size of my hand. They first thought it was pancreatic cancer…this one is better I think.
Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2023, 05:43 AM   #6
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
We have been in our Montana(s) since 2004. So, from late 40’s to 70 this year, my balance has gone downhill. Still occasionally get on the roof, but have to crawl between the solar panels. Still doing most maintenance myself. We switched from vacation mode to retirement mode about three years ago. What do I mean by that? We drive 65 mph or less, drive fewer miles per day, leave later, get in earlier and stay longer. 9 am wheels up and in around 2 with a stop for lunch would be typical.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2023, 07:41 AM   #7
Byron B
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikendebbie View Post
I read this forum to try to learn how to do the stuff I have never done or have no experience. I can still get up on the roof. I’m 68 and was planning to retire at 70 then hit the road. That may change however…DW and I meet with oncologist this morning to get her treatment plan. She has a neuro endocrine tumor upper left abdomen the size of my hand. They first thought it was pancreatic cancer…this one is better I think.
Sorry to hear about your wife. Sending prayers and all the good vibes I can muster for her healing. People ask us why we travel so much and I tell them: “we are doing this while we are physically and fiscally able to.” Life is short and we never know how long it will last.
Byron B is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2023, 08:03 AM   #8
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
I retired in 2005 and my retirement present was a major heart attack. I still was able to do pretty much everything regardless, maybe just a bit slower. But now my knees are shot, my balance in not good, and my heart function in in constant AFib. Like others, if I have to get on the roof, which I try to avoid, I crawl. Ladders are iffy, I am limited in what I can lift. Bending down getting back up us a challenge. I am finding that all those things I could do before are now going to be done by others. That pains me deeply given some of the exorbitant labor charges for crappy work by RV labor. Fortunately, I have a son nearby and friends, in better shape than I, who help out. I still carry tools and spare parts, but my most common tools today are a pen and a checkbook/credit card.

I am pushing 80 next year but I plan to continue as long as I can. The good news is the "push a button" technology on my RV allows me setup and tear down easily.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2023, 02:00 PM   #9
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
Knees are shot and a bit of vertigo. But other then that I'm still good. The roof is a bit unnerving. Oh ya and my eye site is crap. Need cheaters to do a lot of things Funny thing is I don't feel the vertigo when ridding my Harley. Only when I come to a stop
Old 09-14-2023, 06:25 PM   #10
Baldicon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20906
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikendebbie View Post
Prayers lifted up for Debbie and you.
Old 09-14-2023, 07:29 PM   #11
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Yes, our style of RVing and camping has changed over the years, and it changes again, and sometimes again.

What use to be run, run, run, ... go, go, go when the kids were little to take in all the commercialized entertainments has changed to vegetating around the camp fire. The canoe got too heavy, the bicycles take too much work to transport, and the hiking came to a grinding halt in the last 8 years or so. Until about 3 years ago when the hiking picked up enormously. I'm now 68 and we're hiking 3 - 10 miles (almost every day) when camping. Still don't care for the bicycles any more and the commercialized entertainments in the surrounding areas from the campgrounds is just not appealing.

About maintenance on the camper. I've always done my own and still do. The only time I recruit help from a repair shop is if the job entails tools I don't have, space to work on the camper I don't have (like a roof over it to keep it dry), or I don't have the tools to do it (like lifting the trailer off the tires or replacing windows or something like that that requires a second person for help.

I still do all my own repairs with the exception of electronics (like the refrigerator) or electrical (like trouble shooting brakes). If I can reach it, I do it myself.

I still get on the roof to sweep off the slides when breaking camp and have no issues with heights (yet). Just yesterday I was on the roof the the house cutting tree branches that have over grown the roof of the house. I still crawl, creep, climb, and twist the old body up like a pretzel getting into tight spaces. I still scrape my knuckles, poke myself with splinters and metal shards, and occasionally slice a finger on a sharp edge of glass. I have my DNA on everything in the house and the camper.

The only real difference since I've retired, all these things are still done by me, but I'm much slower at doing them now. I don't have to rush, rush, rush to get it done because a job is pressing my time and I'm pushing to get something fixed before the next camp out. Now, I can actually take my time and do more "fiddling" and actually spend the time ENJOYING those repairs and having fun doing them now. It's much more relaxing, I don't get all bent out of shape, and I have the TIME to do it now.

That is the big difference! I might be old, but I'm not dead!
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2023, 07:05 PM   #12
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foldbak View Post
Knees are shot and a bit of vertigo. But other then that I'm still good. The roof is a bit unnerving. Oh ya and my eye site is crap. Need cheaters to do a lot of things Funny thing is I don't feel the vertigo when ridding my Harley. Only when I come to a stop
Well, it is definitely better to get vertigo when stopped than when riding!

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2023, 06:46 PM   #13
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Sorry about Debbie prying for her.
My mind says I can do anything I used to do but my body says are you out of your mind. Seriously I still feel like I’m 40 and can do about anything I want to do. Just takes a little longer.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2023, 08:05 PM   #14
scottz
Site Team

M.O.C. #19755
Much the same as what has already been said. 68 in a bit; I'm still doing everything I used to, but it's a lot harder. I just finished a 8 day, 8-10 hour per day project working on ladders at 16'; building a shed, metal siding & a 10x10 door. Had to do it all myself; wife is down with a knee injury. I just have to learn when to back off and break out the check book.

Like most, we have slowed considerably since retirement in 2015/2018. Eight hour driving days were normal; twelve hours and occasionally sixteen hours not out of the question if we wanted to get somewhere. This was not too hard on me since I did an enormous amount of driving when I was working. Vacations used to be stressful for my family; after spending a lot of money to get somewhere, go, go, go; you can nap or sleep when we get home. However, not anymore. Now, after six hours, we are ready to stop. We are planning to go to Alaska again next year and planning six hour or less travel days with many no travel days.

It's going to be tough to write checks for, what I consider, sub-standard work; but I won't be able to continue working like this forever. I guess everyone gets there at some point. My son keeps telling me to slow down and get some help; he's right.

Best of luck to everyone and take it easy.
scottz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2023, 08:12 PM   #15
scottz
Site Team

M.O.C. #19755
Mike, best wishes for Debbie. I hope she has a great oncology team. They can do wonders these days.
scottz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2023, 07:54 AM   #16
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
As a group we are extremely lucky. Not everyone can afford a nice camper and expensive truck to pull it. Most people here are about my age 77. So many that age aren’t in good health so that leaves them out. My parents couldn’t afford a decent car. When we went to church we had to put a blanket over us so the dust coming out of the holes in the floor wouldn’t ruin our clothes. I’m extremely grateful for what I have. I never expected I could have a truck let alone a camper.
Enjoy your life as you go along.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2023, 01:16 PM   #17
astrungis
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13151
I hear ya, brother

Same here. You wonder how much longer you can be doing the RV treks. I shortened my miles to about 300 miles too. And instead of doing it all over again the next day, we take a rest day. Besides, what the rush? Build in the extra time you need.
astrungis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2023, 05:10 PM   #18
JABURKHOLDER
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18572
If anything, we have gotten more ambitious as we aged.

RVing changed for us after my second retirement. Retired from the Navy in 1994 at 39 then retired from Autozone in 2015 at 60. Started RVing in 2003. Back then it was single destination trips and hurry to get there as vacation time was limited.

Since retiring, trips have gotten longer and actually more enjoyable. As posted elsewhere, I just finished my bucket list item of staying in each state of the continental U.S. with the Montana. That journey didn’t start till I was almost 63. Turning 69 in 7 1/2 weeks. Next journey is to try and hit as many military campgrounds as time remaining allows.

As far as maintenance goes, anything needing work while at home was done by the dealer under my extended service contract. Anything needing work while on the road, I do myself. Still go on the roof. Still crawl under the RV.
JABURKHOLDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2023, 06:14 PM   #19
Greg1780
Established Member

M.O.C. #29247
Slowing down,

Byron,
I’m 71 and not slowing down. Both knees had been replaced, the neck has been fused (twice) from C-2 to C-7 and this hasn’t slowed me down 1 bit.
Life is what you make it, guess I’m lucky to still move, Run, Swim a couple miles daily. Ya slow up ya die.
Thats Not happening,
Have a good day my friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron B View Post
I am including the time and/or miles per day you are willing to drive to the maintenance and repairs you are willing to do yourself.
Personally, three years ago we changed our driving habits from whatever it takes to get there NOW to a maximum of 6 hours per day or 300 miles. I used to tow at 70-75 mph. Now 65-67 mph.
I am still doing much of the maintenance and many of the repairs. This year I quit with anything on the roof; i did however replace 3 plumbing vents and an attic vent and reseal each one. I had a total ankle replacement in January this year and still don’t have all the necessary balance back and only about 60% of my previous agility and strength.
Some things such as wheel bearing repacking will wait until next year to see if I will continue to do them. If I have a flat on the road, as I fired the worthless GS roadside non assistance, I will change it myself with the aid of my battery powered impact gun and the self leveling on the fiver. I turn 70 this year in December.

How about you?
Greg1780 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2023, 07:36 PM   #20
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg1780 View Post
Byron,
I’m 71 and not slowing down. Both knees had been replaced, the neck has been fused (twice) from C-2 to C-7 and this hasn’t slowed me down 1 bit.
Life is what you make it, guess I’m lucky to still move, Run, Swim a couple miles daily. Ya slow up ya die.
Thats Not happening,
Have a good day my friend
Inspiring!