Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 03-16-2021, 07:04 PM   #1
Nick H

M.O.C. #27927
Washer dryer question

So my wife and I are expecting our first child next month. We are planning a trip this summer to take her to visit both grandparents. We will be on the road for 3-4 months. Since when we leave she will only be 2 or 3 months old we think it may be time to invest in a washer/dryer. I've got some questions I hope someone can provide me with some recommendations.

We have a 2018 Montana High Country 305RL and I noticed the washer hookup is on one side of our closet and the dryer vent is marked on the wall on the opposite side. For space I'd rather go with a combo washer/dryer unit than a separate washer and dryer. What is the danger of venting it on the opposite side where it isn't marked? Or should we just run a vent across the closet.

It seems a lot of rvers use Splendide washer/dryers but why not install one of the cheaper home depot or lowes brand combo washer/dryers? I'm contemplating putting in a magic chef ventless combo unit from home depot. Then I don't have the vent problem or the space problem and it's about $400 less than splendide. Is there anything I should look for when installing it or reasons to go with Splendide? Just curious since it seems the only rv washer/dryers are splendide. Thanks for the help.

Nick H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 07:27 PM   #2
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
I can see where a washer/dryer would have it's moments on the road, but remember, they are way smaller and work with much smaller loads than a stick house pair. Venting it inside I'd guess would be a mistake for a fiver with say 325+ sq ft. Remember RV's do not have a 220 volt service needed for some small stick house type dryers. Full hookups at a campground are a must as you'll fill your grey tank fast with a washer. Depending on what you wash, drying time will be in hours, not minutes with a 110 volt dryer.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 07:35 PM   #3
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
I would say you will be fine venting it where you want. Just make sure you use a stud finder to locate the wall studs before you start.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dryer vent stud.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	98.2 KB
ID:	8688  
Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 09:45 PM   #4
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
Our vented Splendide combo works fine. Do not trust the vent sticker. Like daryles says, use that stud finder.
Old 03-17-2021, 06:39 AM   #5
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
We have had one combo RV unit, two Splendid stackable units, and a Whirlpool stackable unit in different RVs over the years, all while full timing. All of these units were made for RVs. We have never tried any apartment size w/d units. I always suspected they were not engineered for that application and the bouncing and banging down the road wouldn't be good for them.

The combo unit did very small loads and to wash and dry a single load would take a couple hours or longer minimum.

The Whirlpool set broke a couple of times and the washer was slightly smaller than a Splendid.

Both Splendid sets we have had (including our current set) have always been trouble free. Our vented dryer is great and only takes slightly longer than a regular 220 sticknbrick dryer, it certainly doesn't take "hours" to dry a load of clothes.

Tough decision either way. With a new little person on board you will no doubt need all the extra space you can find, on the other hand those little people can create some extra laundry in a hurry!
Old 03-17-2021, 06:50 AM   #6
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Our Splendide combo has been trouble free and my wife is very happy with it. I ignored the vent location decal and placed the vent directly behind the unit, making for the shortest path and no bends.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 07:22 AM   #7
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1retired06 View Post
Our Splendide combo has been trouble free and my wife is very happy with it. I ignored the vent location decal and placed the vent directly behind the unit, making for the shortest path and no bends.
I did the same thing with the vent for maximum efficiency.
Old 03-17-2021, 08:59 AM   #8
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Our Splendide vented combo has also been great. 2007 model and still working well. Yes, small loads, but we just put in a load, set it wash AND dry, start it, and go out to do what ever we may have plans for. Come back later to a clean, dry load of laundry. And repeat if necessary.
Comments regarding the non vented models are generally not particularly good. They take longer to dry as they heat the clothes, basically turning the water to steam, and using cold water to condense the steam back to water and draining it out the washer drain. That takes a lot more water. And most say the clothes still come out feeling slightly damp. But they are sealed units and do not vent the moisture inside the trailer.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 06:22 PM   #9
wed
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8174
They can run it out the closest wall
2020 3931 FB Legacy
wed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 07:32 PM   #10
Nick H

M.O.C. #27927
Thanks for all the help. Looks like I'll be keeping an eye out for a Splendide on sale.
Old 03-18-2021, 07:59 PM   #11
R.S.O'Donnell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25842
We're full timing in our 3121rl with the Splendide stackable and they are a total game changer. The loads are definitely smaller but haven't been an issue at all. Just more smaller loads. Much, much, better than using laundromats.

Cat approved too.

R.S.O'Donnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 05:29 PM   #12
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I have a ventless model. I would advise don’t get one. They take forever to dry a load.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 06:07 PM   #13
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
Friend had a ventless and actually tried to get things dry, set in wrinkles so bad she couldn't even iron them out.
Old 03-20-2021, 04:01 PM   #14
Nick H

M.O.C. #27927
So I ordered a Splendide vented combo from camping world. They had them on sale and I put it in my cart but didn't buy. Apparently they had one in stock nearby and just wanted to clear it with my wife. I got an email a while later offering an additional 10% off if I completed my order in the next 48hrs. I ordered it for curbside pickup. 24hrs later I got a call it's not actually in stock so they waived the freight and shipping charges. Everything should be delivered to my home in the next 5-7 business days. It's our first experience with camping world and I was actually quite impressed. Thanks for everybody for the advice. Now I just have to drill a hole in the side of the trailer.....
Old 03-21-2021, 06:07 AM   #15
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick H View Post
So I ordered a Splendide vented combo from camping world. They had them on sale and I put it in my cart but didn't buy. Apparently they had one in stock nearby and just wanted to clear it with my wife. I got an email a while later offering an additional 10% off if I completed my order in the next 48hrs. I ordered it for curbside pickup. 24hrs later I got a call it's not actually in stock so they waived the freight and shipping charges. Everything should be delivered to my home in the next 5-7 business days. It's our first experience with camping world and I was actually quite impressed. Thanks for everybody for the advice. Now I just have to drill a hole in the side of the trailer.....
Good luck. I've just done it on one RV, it felt like doing surgery on yourself!
Old 03-21-2021, 09:02 AM   #16
Camp CA
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25828
Quote:
.............For space I'd rather go with a combo washer/dryer unit than a separate washer and dryer. What is the danger of venting it on the opposite side where it isn't marked? Or should we just run a vent across the closet.................It seems a lot of rvers use Splendide washer/dryers but why not install one of the cheaper home depot or lowes brand combo washer/dryers?..............
dieselguy makes some really good points!! The following is my experience:

1. We have had 3 combo washer / dryers living overseas and on a 56 ft powerboat (Splendide). They do dry the clothes completely and the clothes come out all wrinkled. We have a separate Splendide washer model ARWXF129W IOM / dryer model TVM63X on our 2020 Montana 3780RL and they work great. The separate dryer is convenient to dry towels/suits after a swim or visit to the spa. We even used the dryer on our first night after setting up in a torrential rain storm

2. An rv washer/dryer is made specially for an rv.........compact, lightweight, low water consumption and the power amperage/voltage are designed for an rv.

3. Vent the dryer outside the trailer to avoid moisture build up in it. Also, the dyer ducting system must be as short and straight as possible and with as few elbows as possible.

4. We had a 2104 Montana High Country 305RL and the washer / dryer location is over the cab so you want the lightest weight rv units you buy.
Camp CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 01:20 PM   #17
TomCat
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #22648
Support under the Spledide

I have a 2017 HC 305RL and am also looking to install a combo unit. Saw a rig identical in a park recently with a vent on the outside on the washer side. I asked him about it. He installed a Splendide all in one unit. No problem at all, but he said you need to add reinforcement under the platform. They are heavy and he crushed the platform, had to take it out and reinforce the platform underneath.
TomCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 03:42 PM   #18
bcrvman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26399
Quote:
So my wife and I are expecting our first child next month. We are planning a trip this summer to take her to visit both grandparents. We will be on the road for 3-4 months. Since when we leave she will only be 2 or 3 months old we think it may be time to invest in a washer/dryer. I've got some questions I hope someone can provide me with some recommendations.

We have a 2018 Montana High Country 305RL and I noticed the washer hookup is on one side of our closet and the dryer vent is marked on the wall on the opposite side. For space I'd rather go with a combo washer/dryer unit than a separate washer and dryer. What is the danger of venting it on the opposite side where it isn't marked? Or should we just run a vent across the closet.

It seems a lot of rvers use Splendide washer/dryers but why not install one of the cheaper home depot or lowes brand combo washer/dryers? I'm contemplating putting in a magic chef ventless combo unit from home depot. Then I don't have the vent problem or the space problem and it's about $400 less than splendide. Is there anything I should look for when installing it or reasons to go with Splendide? Just curious since it seems the only rv washer/dryers are splendide. Thanks for the help.
The combo units do not work all that well, get stackable or side by side. The splendide units are the rolls royce of the industry, and are the correct size for an RV. My wife would not RV without them. Front loader so low water use, the electrical load is less than 20A combined but we typically run them one after the other if we are on the inverter or in a 30 A site.
3,000 watt hybrid inverter with 120A charger
bcrvman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 04:16 PM   #19
Leonard R.
Established Member

M.O.C. #26577
Quote:

I just ordered the Splendide Washer/Dryer NON-VENTED combo. It actually uses water for the dry cycle, but this way there is no messy cutting of a vent.
Stay away from cheap crap; if you need/want it, just get the right purpose built unit.
Leonard R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 04:36 PM   #20
hitdrd
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #18743
Love, love, love my washer and dryer. This is our first RV with a washer/ dryer and I told hubby I will never be without one again. When we take our grandsons with us, the dirty clothes go in the washer at night after showers and then in the dryer. I never go home with dirty clothes.
hitdrd is offline   Reply With Quote