Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 07-07-2024, 11:42 PM   #1
Csebring

M.O.C. #34527
Question 2024 Montana 3761fl with several issues

This is the first RV we have owned and or used. So, not sure if the issues are to be expected or not.

We purchased a beautiful, 2024 Montana 3761fl in February and began living in it full time in June. The fifth wheel is absolutely beautiful with the right layout for our lifestyle. We do love the lighting and the warm home feel with the color pallet.

However, we've experienced numerous issues so far with the quality of workmanship. I'm concerned we may have bought a "lemon," or, if there are other people with the same numerous issues and maybe this is to be expected?

When we brought it home, we noticed the full bath and half bath sinks were leaking and the sink in the half bath had to be refitted in order to be properly functional. No biggie, those were easy fixes.

The fifth wheel sat mostly unused but hooked up to a 50amp service until June 1st, at which point we moved the RV onto property and began our full time living.

Within one month our refrigerator stopped working, our inverters are not working if not plugged in, we are getting an error code on the solar panel so we cannot use it. The A/C and fan does not work in the front living room (bummer since it's in the 90's outside so it's much much hotter inside) The beauty trim around the top in the living room is coming off on one side and some of the trim on the stairs has fallen off. Just today, our water pump has gotten very loud and the water pressure has dropped.

There are several smaller issues as well that have been a great disappointment, however they are issues we can fix ourselves.

It's only been one month of usage. Is this normal?

I want to believe this will all be fixed when it goes into the shop in two days as we sleep on family members couches until they are done with it.

I'm nervous to think of what it will be like in six months.

Csebring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2024, 02:53 AM   #2
LJSantore
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #30397
The first year is always full of surprises, After that it should not be as bad. just try to keep up with the things as they come. I just wish that they would do more QC before leaving Goshen as well as at the dealers. The name of the game industry wide is to crank out as many units as fast as you can. I would think that they would save money by catching problems before the customer gets a Unit, but that's not how it works. Stay positive and stay on top of repairs it will be worth it in the end.
LJSantore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2024, 04:18 AM   #3
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
Our unit was manufactured mid-Nov 2017 and we bought it late Jan. 2018.
We had zero warranty items. The newer units seem to me to have more issues based on what I read here. I have no experience with your electrical/solar issues, or the 12 volt fridge.

In the years since I have fixed a few minor issues myself.
I replaced a pop-up electrical outlet last year.
Had an issue with our on-demand water heater.
I have had to adjust or reset the sliding hardware on both bath doors.
A section of crown molding fell off and I reattached using finish screws installed at opposing angles at ~18” oc. I went ahead and put finish screws in ALL the crown mold so it will not come down EVER.

My Samsung fridge has been running practically 100% of the time since we bought it…on inverter while travel…plugged in at the S&B or at a campground. In the last year it has developed ice under the drawers - which is an indication I need to upgrade/fix the cooling fin heater or drain (???) can’t remember. I have seen YouTube videos on the fix. I’ll get to it soon since I will retire July 31. The thing is still working good but the ice is a nuisance.

We have not experienced peeling pleather on the sofa or recliners - but, since we have dogs - we have had covers and cowhides on them since day one. We did not know about the RV industry-wide peeling pleather problem until I joined this forum.

If you ask DW about issues - the peeling veneer paper on the bedroom and both bath doors is HORRIBLE! HORRIBLE! IT’S BAD!!!! I use contact cement to stick these 20 peeling spots and 20 more show up in a few weeks/months. It’s never ending. My 2004 Fleetwood motorhome has paper veneer on cabinets and doors but you would never know…it looks good as new 20 years later (I am the 4th owner). I’m dreading this veneer-fix project for the doors. There is no good or cheap fix for it. This quality failure is PATHETIC! We would have paid $600+ more for real wood veneer or painted doors in 2018 if we had a choice or knew about the problem.
Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2024, 06:28 AM   #4
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
I had over 80 issues the first year of ownership of my Montana High Country. Some were major and fixed under warranty, many more I fixed myself. Your problems sound pretty typical. Mine is a 2019 model, bought new. I've done so much work and made so many changes because of needed fixes, it hardly resembles the original camper any more. We travel a lot, and use it full time, although we still own our home, we are full timing in the camper. After 5 years of ownership, things still need fixing as they fail.

The important thing is to fix those issues as soon as they unearth themselves. Don't let them slide, thinking you'll get it done some day in the future. If you do, eventually you'll have so many problems piled up, it will be completely overwhelming. And your camper WILL be junk.

I know this is hard to swallow, but it's just the nature of today's RV's. They are not built like automobiles, and definitely,.... absolutely nothing like a house.

The one thing I can probably help you with is the loud noise happening with the water pump. There is usually only 2 reasons why the water pump will get noisy and loose pressure after it has been working fine for some time. The first is, the pump is failing. BUT I do not think that is your problem. The second is simply.... you have flipped the valve in your convenience center from normal run to "fill" and not put it back on "normal" run. The other is..... you have flipped your winterizing valve. Make sure the winterizing valve is in the off position.

What has happened, if either of these valves are open, the pump is sucking air into your water lines. This causes loud hammering and loss of air pressure.

First, make sure both valves are in the proper normal "run" position, and then open all faucets, including the low point drains, and purge the air out of of the hot and cold water lines. The pump will quiet down again.

Good luck.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2024, 08:58 AM   #5
Csebring

M.O.C. #34527
Thank you! That is good to know.
Old 07-08-2024, 09:01 AM   #6
Csebring

M.O.C. #34527
Thank you. I am surprised of the overall poor quality and high price. I'm sorry your experiences as well, glad you were able to address most of the issues without going to the dealership.
Old 07-14-2024, 03:25 PM   #7
Speck56
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #25158
Not normal but happens more often than not. We have a 2020 3761FL. Samsung fridge was a problem, swapped it out. I carry TWO, nail/braid guns to reattach stuff that falls off. Quality control on 5th wheels, any brand, is horrible.
Speck56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2024, 09:39 PM   #8
allenclme
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23676
Quality Control

I'm on my third Montana. I had a 2013 High Country, then a 2017 3820FK and now a 2024 3123 RL. My 3820FK had numerous issues including a flex frame, which Keystone stood behind even out of warranty (which is why I bought another one). After we did the IS/Disc Brake upgrade, I stopped having trim falling off problems (but I still carry a small finish nailer and compressor). I never had a problem with any of my appliances, heaters, or AC. My High Country was problem free except for the fading front cap which I just eventually repainted. Never had plumbing problems on any of them. All of them had the stupid screws on the skirts that kept falling out, but it looks like on this 2024, the skirts are better attached. They are definitely not problem free, but if you keep your suspension parts lubed, slides lubed and maintained, that's the major stuff in my opinion. Make sure you wash and inspect the roof each year so you can see any problems and seal them up.
allenclme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2024, 09:41 PM   #9
allenclme
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23676
Quality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speck56 View Post
Not normal but happens more often than not. We have a 2020 3761FL. Samsung fridge was a problem, swapped it out. I carry TWO, nail/braid guns to reattach stuff that falls off. Quality control on 5th wheels, any brand, is horrible.
So true. My buddy just bought a new Grand Design toy hauler and his black tank leaked on his first trip out. Waited a week to get a warranty repair authorized, then wait for part, then wait to get fixed.
allenclme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2024, 11:21 AM   #10
Csebring

M.O.C. #34527
Update on Montana 3761fl

We took the fifth wheel into the dealer shop last week. They told us we have to pick up the fifth wheel prior to getting it repaired because we have to wait on dealer approval.

The A/C, Inverter, Solar, Refrigerator, are all bad and all have to be replaced. They did fix the cord on the bedroom slide out.

The dealer of course said they have never seen anything like this, not sure how true that is but either way, we are scrambling to find places to stay until this gets resolved.

The smaller issues such as water leaks, trim, leaking gray water valve are all stuff we have repaired, so were good there.

Just disappointing. I wish I had done my research prior to purchasing an RV.
Old 07-15-2024, 02:35 PM   #11
firestation12
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #24588
Quote:
Originally Posted by Csebring View Post
We took the fifth wheel into the dealer shop last week. They told us we have to pick up the fifth wheel prior to getting it repaired because we have to wait on dealer approval.

The A/C, Inverter, Solar, Refrigerator, are all bad and all have to be replaced. They did fix the cord on the bedroom slide out.

The dealer of course said they have never seen anything like this, not sure how true that is but either way, we are scrambling to find places to stay until this gets resolved.

The smaller issues such as water leaks, trim, leaking gray water valve are all stuff we have repaired, so were good there.

Just disappointing. I wish I had done my research prior to purchasing an RV.
Hard to believe the dealer has never seen Le electrical problems with the air conditioner, or inverter, or refrigerator, or solar issues. Even if all of that were true, the dealer SHOULD HAVE experienced service techs to diagnose and fix them. If in the event there was single item that caused all of those to fail, putting in new appliances without finding that single source would be foolish.
firestation12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
a/c, craftmanship, inverter, refrigerator, solar panel