Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MONTANA OWNERS CLUB COMMUNITY > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 01-11-2024, 10:34 PM   #1
AZcarpediem

M.O.C. #33711
New 2024 3231ck Montana Legacy owner

Hello everyone!
We just purchased the 2024 Montana Legacy 3231 CK and absolutely love it!!!

The changes made in the bathroom in addition to a couple things in the kitchen area are what ultimately lead us to decide on the 2024 model.

So far, we are happy with our decision.

However, the standard mattress that came with the RV is much too hard. Although one side is listed as firm and the other as medium, they are both much too firm for either of us.

Does anyone have suggestions on where to purchase a very comfortable RV mattress?

Additionally, as we are looking to boondock we’ll need a generator and have been told the Onan 5500 or 6500 LP would be sufficient. Any thoughts from the experienced travelers out there?

I really appreciate any advice!!
Lisa

AZcarpediem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2024, 05:15 AM   #2
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Mattress topper worked well for us.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2024, 06:05 AM   #3
MandK
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #28430
Lots of folks go in lots of different directions with that slab of concrete that Keystone calls a mattress. Everybody’s body is different, so it’s difficult to recommend a mattress. We slept on the original mattress one weekend and ordered the Wilderness RV Mattress Company’s Montana Hybrid (no relation) that week. We sleep on it about 180 nights per year and will buy it again if we change rigs. If after 3 months it’s not for you, they’ll send you your money back.
We just use a small 2500W champion to keep our batteries charged if we don’t have power. You will need more if you want/need a/c. Others can comment better on the generator.
Welcome to the forum and enjoy your new coach!
That’s a great floor plan.
MandK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2024, 08:36 AM   #4
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
Welcome to the MOC. We just purchase this topper. It has a 100 day money back guarantee. It's still in the box. I'll be trying it this weekend. I also bought the pillows. Their great! I have a ONAN 3600 LPG. It works perfectly and is much cheaper, lighter and smaller.

https://www.dormeousa.com/pages/spec...iAAEgISAfD_BwE
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Matteress Topper.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	91.3 KB
ID:	16278  
Old 01-12-2024, 01:45 PM   #5
desertdog
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #33254
Hi, as for the generator, I have 2 small firman's both are inverters and run on both gas and propane. I like the propane as I carry 2 40 lb propane bottles. I also have a Parallel connector to combine both inverters and get the needed 50 amp service. I can run both units 24/7 for an entire weekend on the 2 40 pound bottles. The gas tanks are so small they won't even run over night on a full has tank. Usually I run them for a few hours each day and they last a full week on the two 40 lb bottles.

2015 Montana 3402 RL.
2023 Ram 3500 6.7L HO DRW 50 gal GT
desertdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2024, 07:12 AM   #6
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Mattress: Forget the idea of an "RV mattress." Any mattress you get with "RV" in the description will be the same junk you currently have. If you want a different mattress you can replace yours with anything! It's your choice! Whatever you use in your stick-n-brick home, get an identical one for the camper. Or get something even better. There is no hard-and-fast rule.

We swapped out for Serta's (we like the sleeping sheep) in 3 different trailers. The current one we swapped out for a Helix. OK, so we paid over $1500 for it! But, we spend much, much more time in the camper than we ever do at home in our bed there. We wanted something GREAT for the camper and THAT was it!

It's all a matter of what you want and how much you are willing to pay. Just don't replace "RV" with another "RV" and mattress toppers are just lipstick on pigs. We tried that route and hated the mattress toppers. It was a pain in the back ..... You want to sleep good, get a good mattress and be done with it. You spend too much time in the horizontal position to be uncomfortable.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2024, 07:25 AM   #7
Lee-CI
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30262
Congratulations on your new Legacy and welcome to the MOC family! We went with a Brooklyn Bedding mattress out of Arizona. Wife and I both love the mattress. One can normally find discounts. If I remember correctly my veteran discount was like 40% off. Good luck and happy camping
Lee-CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2024, 06:49 PM   #8
GeologyTek
Established Member

M.O.C. #21745
Purple power!

I gave my original masonry board mattress to my brother in law. He loves it! It is the firmest mattress he has ever found. My domestic supervisor picked out a Purple Hybrid P3 that is innerspring and 3" of "purplestuff". He loves it, but it is an tiny bit firm for my taste. I will say it has helped my back tremendously. We purchased from Denver Mattress Company. They delivered to the park and hauled away my old Serta iComfort. Next mattress I want is the Purple P4 King size. Our frenchie bulldog has managed to start sleeping in the bed with us.
GeologyTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2024, 08:56 PM   #9
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Concerning the mattress-- we went through numerous different brands of mattress' and have settled on a Sleep Number. Each side if controlled by the handheld remote and each side can be however the individual on each side like for firmness. We had to drill a couple of holes in the bed frame- one to run the power cord out from under the bed and a second one to run the hoses to each side to be able to control the firmness. The only con to this mattress is that you do have to let air out of each side if you will be climbing in altitude on your travels but that is easy by using the remote again and when you settle in for the night adding air again is needed for your preferred firmness. We will not go back to a standard mattress again in fact we have three of these on beds we sleep on-- camper, farm bed and bed in our house in Omaha.
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2024, 07:07 AM   #10
PilotEd
Established Member

M.O.C. #18090
Ditto Rondo on the Sleep Number. Best mattress made. IMHO
PilotEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2024, 05:07 AM   #11
suny07
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21337
Hi and congrats to the new rig

After several years on RV Mattress with a Topper, then a "RV Mattress" we went finally to Mattress Firm and took the model we liked most.
We prefer a full Memory foam mattress so the choices are limited already.
On our actual Montana 3123 we had to push the true king mattress quite a bit into the slide but it works.
I think the slide is 2 inch to narrow but that's totally no issue.

Mike

Montana 3123RL Legacy 'Boon-docking Edition'
RAM 3500 Mega Cab Cummins Diesel DRW
suny07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2024, 11:32 AM   #12
thedinobots
Established Member

M.O.C. #33672
We just bought the 3231CK as well (not legacy) and got a medium firmness mattress from Brooklyn Bedding - they make them in RV King sizes. The 70x74 worked well for us. An inch or two of space at the headboard, and a little shorter than the stock mattress but it is so comfortable.

We are thrilled with it.

Link below!

https://brooklynbedding.com/products...g-70x74-medium

You could do the 70x80 as well, it just sticks out a bit more and you have less space to walk in the bedroom. I am tall but tend to curl up so the 70x74 has been fine for us.

We didn't even get the additional mattress topper, just the mattress and its wonderful. For extra comfort, you can add on the 1.5" topper - it is stitched on, so you cannot add it later (found this out the hard way), but we have really no need for it because we find the standard mattress without the topper supremely comfortable.

Our friends slept in it for a couple of days and loved it, so they are getting one for their RV as well.

We got a Predator 5000 genny, and were able to run both AC's on it (only for testing purposes). You can run them in tandem. We mounted some straps in the front cargo area and tied it down in there. Haven't needed to use it other than to test it yet. It's fairly quiet, fairly portable and a great price point. This is the Harbor Freight brand - tends to have very good reviews. If we did a lot of boondocking, I would consider two of them in tandem.

How are you finding the 3231 otherwise? We love ours! Had a few issues so far, but nothing we couldn't fix.
Old 01-19-2024, 12:46 PM   #13
brycesteiner
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #33140
Is that the ultra quiet predator generator? I saw the 5000 has the remote start, which I kind of like.
brycesteiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2024, 12:54 PM   #14
thedinobots
Established Member

M.O.C. #33672
Quote:
Originally Posted by brycesteiner View Post
Is that the ultra quiet predator generator? I saw the 5000 has the remote start, which I kind of like.
Oops, we got the Predator 5000, which is the ultra quiet with remote start and ability to run them paired. It's pretty great for the price point!
Old 01-21-2024, 08:54 PM   #15
nitro9023003

M.O.C. #25419
Mattress

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1retired06 View Post
Mattress topper worked well for us.
We bought a sleep number rv5 for ours from camping world
Been sleeping on it for 8 years and love it so much we bought a bigger one for the house from sleep number store no more back pain.
nitro9023003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2024, 11:51 PM   #16
Sparatacus
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #24110
Welcome to MOC and congrats. Pics!
Sparatacus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2024, 01:47 AM   #17
John_n_Genny

M.O.C. #19099
Congrats on your 3231CK. That's the model the DW and I plan on purchasing this summer with the Legacy edition and Cobalt full body paint. Can't wait to get it but we have to get through tax season. As far as mattresses go, I've heard a lot of good things about Brooklyn Bedding, but mainly by streamers who are sponsored by the manufacturer. So it would be nice to hear more from the actual users. Anyway, would be happy to hear from you later on how you are enjoying your new 5th wheel.
John_n_Genny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2024, 08:44 PM   #18
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZcarpediem View Post
Hello everyone!
We just purchased the 2024 Montana Legacy 3231 CK and absolutely love it!!!

The changes made in the bathroom in addition to a couple things in the kitchen area are what ultimately lead us to decide on the 2024 model.

So far, we are happy with our decision.

However, the standard mattress that came with the RV is much too hard. Although one side is listed as firm and the other as medium, they are both much too firm for either of us.

Does anyone have suggestions on where to purchase a very comfortable RV mattress?

Additionally, as we are looking to boondock we’ll need a generator and have been told the Onan 5500 or 6500 LP would be sufficient. Any thoughts from the experienced travelers out there?

I really appreciate any advice!!
Lisa
Lisa,

Welcome to the forum! We still have a couple of spots at the Western Rally In Verde Valley next month.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote