Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 07-11-2022, 02:52 PM   #1
Jerry Schleining

M.O.C. #31148
The Learning Curve

Well.. we took our New Montana out for trip #2.. a week at the Wonderful Oregon Coast.
We got over easy the first trip with an 80 ft Pull Through site with no obstructions.
Trip number 2.. not as easy.. and now we understand a bit more about the learning curve on backing a 5th wheel compared to the Travel Trailer and getting 41 feet of 5th wheel into a tight spot.
The Good news is no damage and we are still married.
The Better news is getting out was so much easier.
The Learning Curve.. shortened and we feel so much better have gone through this challenge.
The obstructions were three Douglas Fir trees.. one was MASSIVE! The other was a road the bent the wrong way and a grey water sump on the blind side.
I know I sound like such a rookie here.. but it was pretty tough, but became a learning experience and nothing got hurt except my ego.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1510.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	560.4 KB
ID:	12465   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1511.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	680.0 KB
ID:	12466  

Jerry Schleining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 02:55 PM   #2
C&P RV
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #30294
Congrats and good job! Gotta love the tight spots. And once you are in, you can reward yourself with a cold adult beverage!!
C&P RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 03:05 PM   #3
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Yep, yep, yep! I certainly understand!
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 03:20 PM   #4
Jerry Schleining

M.O.C. #31148
That is soooo true. I think I may have had two after this one.. haha
Thanks

Jerry Schleining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 03:43 PM   #5
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
I can relate! My first 90 deg back in was trip number 2 just a few months back. There were some oh @*^% moments. 6 months and 9 trips later I feel comfortable backing in and I'm still married! Well done!
Old 07-11-2022, 03:54 PM   #6
jsb5717
Montana Master

M.O.C. #23668
Nice job! Even experienced 5th wheel owners sometimes have to slow down, take their time, and carefully thread the needle. We've all had to do it. Experience will build confidence...just don't get cocky. And sometimes even the best need a spotter. DW is pretty good at being another set of eyes. I'm just never in a hurry when it comes to preventing expensive damage.
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 06:15 PM   #7
Ram Montana High Country
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19944
My first 90 degree was first trip in a small, crowded KOA ... fortunately there were some guys hanging around. I rolled down the window and asked if they were taking bets. One guy asked if I wanted help. Fortunately, he spoke a language I understood. He got me right in. There have been many interesting opportunities since. My wife is joyous when it is a pull thru. But pull thru does not always mean NO PAIN - a few COE arched spaces, ugh.
Ram Montana High Country is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 07:07 PM   #8
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsb5717 View Post
Nice job! Even experienced 5th wheel owners sometimes have to slow down, take their time, and carefully thread the needle. We've all had to do it. Experience will build confidence...just don't get cocky. And sometimes even the best need a spotter. DW is pretty good at being another set of eyes. I'm just never in a hurry when it comes to preventing expensive damage.

I learned the hard way with my 30' cougar. I was SOOO confident that I backed into the house and had to replace the rear wall of the trailer! Yes I'm still married.....slow small moves!
Old 07-11-2022, 10:07 PM   #9
firestation12
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #24588
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foldbak View Post
I learned the hard way with my 30' cougar. I was SOOO confident that I backed into the house and had to replace the rear wall of the trailer! Yes I'm still married.....slow small moves!
I takes 3 persons to safely back a trailer......1 to drive the truck, 1 to spot for the driver, and lastly, 1 who wields a club to administer punishment to either the driver and or spotter, whichever screws up.
firestation12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2022, 07:28 AM   #10
timandsusan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5165
On our 1st trip in 2006, an "experienced RV Neighbor" gave me this simple advice for backing a 5th wheel. Place your hand on the bottom of the steering wheel, turn the steering wheel in the direction you want the back end of the RV to go. I still say this to myself everytime I back up. I bet lots of Monty folks have passed this along.
Yes, pull thrus sound great but often they are only marginally better than a back-in---at least from my experience. Happy Travels
F-250 King Ranch Crew Cab 2012, Single Wheel, 6.7 L Diesel, Transfer Flow Internal 50 Gallon Fuel Tank, Upgraded Ford Software for 50 Gallon tank, 2006 3475Rl with Mor-ryde King Pin, 2nd AC, 2nd Battery, Pressure Pro TPMS, Wet Bolt Shackle Kit
timandsusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2022, 03:00 PM   #11
bcrvman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26399
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Schleining View Post
Well.. we took our New Montana out for trip #2.. a week at the Wonderful Oregon Coast.
We got over easy the first trip with an 80 ft Pull Through site with no obstructions.
Trip number 2.. not as easy.. and now we understand a bit more about the learning curve on backing a 5th wheel compared to the Travel Trailer and getting 41 feet of 5th wheel into a tight spot.
The Learning Curve.. shortened and we feel so much better have gone through this challenge.
The obstructions were three Douglas Fir trees.. one was MASSIVE! The other was a road the bent the wrong way and a grey water sump on the blind side.
I know I sound like such a rookie here.. but it was pretty tough, but became a learning experience and nothing got hurt except my ego.
I hope I don't scare you, but that looks like the spot I want, lot's of clearance on passenger side, paved, great visibility on drivers side and long. I used to have a house with a very long curving the wrong way driveway and uphill etc etc. Some days it was an hour some not so bad.
3,000 watt hybrid inverter with 120A charger
bcrvman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2022, 04:26 PM   #12
MARK A
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18157
I have her call me, and talk over the Bluetooth while backing into a tough spot. She possesses some hand signals that are pretty vague except ONE LOL ��
Old 07-17-2022, 04:58 PM   #13
Mikelff
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26851
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Schleining View Post
Most of us have a similar experience. Those tree branches look a bit low so watch out for those. Its amazing how small branches, let alone big ones, can mess up your roof! Just had mine repaired while doing regular roof inspection. A little Dicore and I’m ready to go.
Mikelff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2022, 06:37 PM   #14
richeyb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22661
My first trip out pulling my new Montana HC was to a large parking lot at our school. I put out some milk jugs and orange cones and practiced backing in, 90 turns and what ever else I could think of….
Old 07-17-2022, 06:43 PM   #15
wed
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8174
Looks like you did great
2020 3931 FB Legacy
wed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2022, 10:03 PM   #16
dallasrules
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #26856
To park my 37' 5ver at home, I have to pull up a very steep hill and back into a more than 90 degree angle down the hill and back uphill a bit. Also, we slide some backing down and into the turn. I have gotten pretty good at it over the years.

One time I was late for an appointment and back it in first try, but was over a bit too far and decided to leave it till later. Dh decided he was going to do it for me. He pulled down the driveway l little too far and couldn't get the truck to back it up. He ended up taking it back out the driveway, turning it around, pulling it back up to the top of the hill and then decided h3ll no on backing the turn and just left it there. I came home to the truck and trailer sitting at the top of the driveway blocking everything and I had to start over.

I thanked him for trying to be helpful and for stopping when he knew he was in over his head, but next time please just leave it alone.
dallasrules is offline   Reply With Quote