Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 07-10-2022, 12:31 PM   #1
Mopar_Mudder
Established Member

M.O.C. #29014
Adding Propane Storage

Well first trip with out 3790RD after installing the Onan 6.5 LP. Generator works great but now I am thinking about LP usage. The Montana came with two 30# tanks in it and I switched them out for two 50# tanks. Basically a 40# tank will last a day if it is really hot and you need to run the AC alot.

I thought I had this figured out and was going to use the existing 30# tanks as back up. Built a really nice secure rack to store them in the rear cargo hatch. Well now I read that you are not suppose to store them on their side, or in and enclosed space. So I may have built a rack for nothing.

So what is everyone doing for more LP? I wanted the LP generator for easy of use not having to worry about bad gas and dealing with carborators. Plus the fact I would have to have added a gas tank some how.

Mopar_Mudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2022, 12:41 PM   #2
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
You shouldn’t store them in an enclosed area because if they get hot they will pop off and allow some propane to escape, not good around electricity.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 11:27 AM   #3
RipNC
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #26926
You could add a dual tank mounting rack (like bumper pull trailers use) to a receiver mount on fiver hitch with a nice cover. This would probably block your rear storage and you'd have to remove the tanks and the rack for access. You could also mount the rack in your truck and add the cover.
RipNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 11:44 AM   #4
Mopar_Mudder
Established Member

M.O.C. #29014
Quote:
Originally Posted by RipNC View Post
You could add a dual tank mounting rack (like bumper pull trailers use) to a receiver mount on fiver hitch with a nice cover. This would probably block your rear storage and you'd have to remove the tanks and the rack for access. You could also mount the rack in your truck and add the cover.
I thought about that, but we also have a bike rack we use in the receiver some times so it would be one or the other. No rear storage on our 2017.

Thought about the receiver on the truck but would have to take it all off every time you want to hook or unhook.

If it wasn't a short bed I could put them in the truck bed.
Old 07-11-2022, 03:46 PM   #5
jsb5717
Montana Master

M.O.C. #23668
I'm glad you got the word about: NOT inside the rig and NOT on their side.

I worked as a manager at Airgas for a few years. I read the stories and saw the pictures of what can happen. We were not allowed to help a customer load propane, acetylene, etc., in an enclosed vehicle...period.

I carry 2 extra 20 lb tanks in the back of my short bed in a wood rack I built to keep them from moving around. I've done that for years without issue. I've also carried them in the rack on the cargo deck on the back of the 5er...that would work better for the taller bottles. Maybe you can build a combo carrier to also include your bikes...just a thought.
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 04:26 PM   #6
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I saw a video of someone carrying a propane tank in the bed of a pickup. I think it got hot in the sun and leaked and blowed up talking the bed completely off the truck.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 05:42 PM   #7
Mopar_Mudder
Established Member

M.O.C. #29014
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsb5717 View Post
I'm glad you got the word about: NOT inside the rig and NOT on their side.

I worked as a manager at Airgas for a few years. I read the stories and saw the pictures of what can happen. We were not allowed to help a customer load propane, acetylene, etc., in an enclosed vehicle...period.

I carry 2 extra 20 lb tanks in the back of my short bed in a wood rack I built to keep them from moving around. I've done that for years without issue. I've also carried them in the rack on the cargo deck on the back of the 5er...that would work better for the taller bottles. Maybe you can build a combo carrier to also include your bikes...just a thought.
I have a power roll up bed cover that makes the front part of the truck bed pretty much unusable unfortunately.
Old 07-11-2022, 06:21 PM   #8
jsb5717
Montana Master

M.O.C. #23668
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopar_Mudder View Post
I have a power roll up bed cover that makes the front part of the truck bed pretty much unusable unfortunately.
I have a truck box up in front of my hitch so I put mine right inside the tailgate. Easier to load and unload. Just depends on what else you need to carry in the truck bed.
Old 07-11-2022, 07:25 PM   #9
Mopar_Mudder
Established Member

M.O.C. #29014
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsb5717 View Post
I have a truck box up in front of my hitch so I put mine right inside the tailgate. Easier to load and unload. Just depends on what else you need to carry in the truck bed.
I have to check the height of the tanks. I was thinking they would be too tall and hit the pin box if I had them standing up at the tail gate.
Old 07-11-2022, 07:36 PM   #10
jsb5717
Montana Master

M.O.C. #23668
Quote:
I have to check the height of the tanks. I was thinking they would be too tall and hit the pin box if I had them standing up at the tail gate.
I agree, I don't think I would want to carry 30 lb tanks at the tailgate. As I said, I carry 20's there. Some method behind the 5er would be more preferable in my book.
Old 07-17-2022, 02:35 PM   #11
Majorpolk
Established Member

M.O.C. #19958
Buy a different bottle

Quote:
Well first trip with out 3790RD after installing the Onan 6.5 LP. Generator works great but now I am thinking about LP usage. The Montana came with two 30# tanks in it and I switched them out for two 50# tanks. Basically a 40# tank will last a day if it is really hot and you need to run the AC alot.

I thought I had this figured out and was going to use the existing 30# tanks as back up. Built a really nice secure rack to store them in the rear cargo hatch. Well now I read that you are not suppose to store them on their side, or in and enclosed space. So I may have built a rack for nothing.

So what is everyone doing for more LP? I wanted the LP generator for easy of use not having to worry about bad gas and dealing with carborators. Plus the fact I would have to have added a gas tank some how.
You need to research different types of bottles. Fort lift bottles can be stored on their side and can be converted to gas vs liquid. Make sure you check this first. Forklifts use liquid propane. SOME forklift bottles have a plug in a hole that provides gas not liquid. You would remove the liquid valve and plug it. Then install a gas service valve in the gas port. Forklift bottles are filled using a bleed valve. You would need to stand the bottle upright to use it. There are several special service type bottles around so shop those as well. Just make sure they can be set up for gas service.
Majorpolk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2022, 03:02 PM   #12
bcrvman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26399
Quote:

That's why I got a pair of Honda EU2000's. Propane is very inefficient and a bear to store. Gas is simple.
3,000 watt hybrid inverter with 120A charger
bcrvman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2022, 06:28 PM   #13
richeyb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22661
Propane story — moving from California to Idaho. Wife driving van and me follows in Jeep. Since movers won’t transport propane tanks, I put one in the boat and one in the ragtop Jeep with me. As we climbed over Donner Pass the pressure relief did its thing and soon filled my Jeep with propane. I quickly pulled of the road and tossed out the tank. Glad wife didn’t call on our CB radios making some kind of electrical connection, Scarey moment but proved to me why Movers don’t move propane tanks…. After both tanks finished releasing their excess gas we pressed on….
Old 07-17-2022, 06:45 PM   #14
wed
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8174
They make a holder for the back of your truck
2020 3931 FB Legacy
wed is offline   Reply With Quote