Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 07-07-2022, 01:21 PM   #1
Baldicon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20906
Leaking Jack Cylinder

Good morning guys and girls,

My driver-side front jack cylinder is leaking. After being set up for about 10 days, I noticed a small pool of fluid on the jack foot. I wiped my finger under the bottom of the jack where the cylinder goes into the housing and found hydraulic fluid on it. I wiped it clean and went back to the camper this morning (3 days) and found the top of the pad wet, but would no pool of fluid. I checked the hydraulic fluid container and it does appear to be almost 1" low. Not sure the last time it was checked. We are scheduled to leave on a 10 week trip end of this month. My questions is it safe to go on our trip with it leaking like this? I'm doubting I will be able to get it replaced or repaired in time for our departure. For those of you that have had a similar problem, did it get worse, or just continue to leak? I know that I need to monitor the fluid level closer now and add as it gets low. And a second question, what type of hydraulic fluid to I get? Mine does not use ATF, or if it is ATF, it is not red it is an amber color. Can I mix ATF with what is in there now?

Thanks in advance

Old 07-07-2022, 05:08 PM   #2
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
If your fluid is red it is Automatic transmission fluid.
If it is yellow it is AW32W hydraulic fluid.
Either way you can add a quart of anti sticktion fluid per LCI (helps take creaking/popping out of jacks)
The LCI tech bulletin regarding this is in the Lippert NOW app.
The app has manuals and troubleshooting for all your Lippert equipment.
The App also has the specs for what type of ATF you need IF they filled your reservoir with ATF.
It seems like newer models all have hydraulic fluid.

I would not let this leak slow me down, BUT, after you level, I would put a jack under the frame, next to the leaking leg. That way it wont settle.
If you need to raise the front to hitch, it should be no problem.
When you get home, find a hydraulic shop to rebuild it.
Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2022, 05:04 AM   #3
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
Agree with Daryl. I had a middle jack that leaked from new and it took over a year to get it replaced under warranty due to Covid. I just added fluid as needed and kept an eye on it. It made a mess under the coroplast and on my snap pads, but I didn't let it slow me down. We put over 36,000 miles in the first 15 months.
I keep a gallon of AW32 and a quart of Maxima Fork Oil in the rig now.
RMcNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2022, 06:43 AM   #4
Baldicon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20906
Thanks for replies. I'll get a gallon of AW32 and a heavy duty jack stand and keep in the camper. I previously added a quart of anit-sticktion fluid. Keeping the reserviour topped off won't be a problem, I was just concerned about a rapid failure. Also will load the app. I did find on-line the recommended fluids. It didn't mention AW32, just pour point temperatures. Is that what the 32 is, a pour point temperature?
Old 07-08-2022, 07:59 AM   #5
ChuckS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20949
You most likely will never experience a rapid failure on the front LG..

First I would check the extend and return lines on that LG up at the top..wipe down really good and jist snug the JIC37 fittings

Verify also there is no seep of fluid at any of those lines at the compression swedge

I would then wipe both LG down with ATF, motorcycle fluid, AW32 fluid and cycle both front LG a few times to exercise the internal seals

Then monitor for evidence of fluid seeping as you travel

There is an outer wiper seal at the bottom of the LG cylinder and all it does it wipe the piston clean to keep crap away from the inner seals

If the issue continues with some seeping then yo7 have one of two options

Remove and have the cylinder rebuilt or buy a new one

Personally I would rebuild the cylinder.
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2022, 10:51 AM   #6
Baldicon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20906
Thanks Chuck, I've already checked all connections, it's definitely coming form the bottom of the stationary part of the jack. Was hoping just a loose connection, but pretty sure it is a seal.
Old 07-17-2022, 04:03 PM   #7
Camp CA
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25828
If the leak is from the seal pretty sure you will need to remove and rebuild or replace. Same issue.so tecently purchased a replacement hydraulic jack.
Camp CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2022, 06:11 PM   #8
STIHLNTIME
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21339
Common issue with copper washer and o ring on one of the top cylinder bolts, it is a banjo bolt. Great video on YouTube how to repair.
Sailun 637 tires Predator 3500 (2) paralleled
STIHLNTIME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2022, 06:45 PM   #9
SterlingSilver
Established Member

M.O.C. #22445
Here is a hydraulic jack leak story that might help you. My front landing jack would weep enough fluid to keep the landing pad wet. I figured it was related to a seal. I discussed this with a friend who own his own hydraulic manufacturing plant. He said you service the leak when it costs more for the lost fluid than the cost of the repair. That not with standing, I got tired of doing nothing and while I wintered in my rig in Florida, I removed the jack and sent it out to a service facility. For less than $100 they replaced the seals and tested the cylinder. To my chagrin, the next morning there was the same wet spot on the pad. Later in the year, at home, I removed the cylinder and disassembled it. I just happened to run my finger around the internal bore surface and detected a very slight scratch. I buffed it by hand with a few strokes with some crocus cloth. Vola, it never leaked again. To not seep some fluid, the cylinder and piston must be almost perfect. It was over 2 years from my detection to my fix. No wonder most people just add fluid and keep on trucking.
SterlingSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2022, 06:45 PM   #10
Fred
Established Member

M.O.C. #26030
Use a jack to be safe.

If your front end drops a few inches over night, and you are camping, your entry steps will jam up against the door and you will not be able to open the door leaving you will trapped inside. You will have to climb out a window..... (Ask me how I know)
Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2022, 06:48 PM   #11
wed
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8174
Can’t repair just replace the only thing is beware of it coming down as you travel you might want to zip tie them up
2020 3931 FB Legacy
wed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2022, 06:44 AM   #12
ChuckS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20949
Quote:
Originally Posted by wed View Post
Can’t repair just replace the only thing is beware of it coming down as you travel you might want to zip tie them up
Yes. The front LG and mid/rear levels most certainly can be repaired ..

A ziptie WILL NOT hold any of those levelers retracted .. 2000 psi hydraulic pressure will snap any zip tie most Ricky tick
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2022, 11:56 AM   #13
Baldicon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20906
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred View Post
Use a jack to be safe.

If your front end drops a few inches over night, and you are camping, your entry steps will jam up against the door and you will not be able to open the door leaving you will trapped inside. You will have to climb out a window..... (Ask me how I know)
Dang! Already order a jack stand.
Old 07-18-2022, 11:57 AM   #14
Baldicon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20906
Quote:
Originally Posted by SterlingSilver View Post
Here is a hydraulic jack leak story that might help you. My front landing jack would weep enough fluid to keep the landing pad wet. I figured it was related to a seal. I discussed this with a friend who own his own hydraulic manufacturing plant. He said you service the leak when it costs more for the lost fluid than the cost of the repair. That not with standing, I got tired of doing nothing and while I wintered in my rig in Florida, I removed the jack and sent it out to a service facility. For less than $100 they replaced the seals and tested the cylinder. To my chagrin, the next morning there was the same wet spot on the pad. Later in the year, at home, I removed the cylinder and disassembled it. I just happened to run my finger around the internal bore surface and detected a very slight scratch. I buffed it by hand with a few strokes with some crocus cloth. Vola, it never leaked again. To not seep some fluid, the cylinder and piston must be almost perfect. It was over 2 years from my detection to my fix. No wonder most people just add fluid and keep on trucking.
Just picked up a gallon of AW32.