Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 11-18-2021, 09:26 AM   #21
Ron & Izzy
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #29530
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrvman View Post
Brown spots means there is water in your ceiling and it is causing the staples to rust.
as a commercial waterproofing consultant i concur. check your roof for pin-holes / fishmouths / tears..

Water is crazy and will traverse 'the easiest course'.. therefore water intrusion at one point is definately not where the water may finally appear 'inside'. water is magnetic and also wicks.. therefore finding the 'point of entry' is mandatory to midigate further damage.

good luck..

Old 11-23-2021, 05:33 PM   #22
Randy J

M.O.C. #28907
Unidentified Ceiling Phenomena

First off, thanks for all the input. Husband removed the ceiling trim and definitely identified water as the culprit. Suspect point of entry is somewhere around where the AC was installed. Has anyone ever removed the AC unit as it looks like we may have to in order to get to the bottom of this There was also
dampness in the ceiling truss which concerns me that we may now have to think about mold issues also. We are no longer under warranty, our model is a 2019 MHC 321 RL. Any of your experienced thoughts/ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Randy J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 05:45 PM   #23
rvman
Established Member

M.O.C. #23128
If it is the rear A/C then it is a "whisper quiet" with no internal shroud. You need to remove the outside A/C cover and there should be 4 lag bolts going into the roof trusses. Likely not enough slack in the electrical so disconnect the A/C supply and the low voltage thermostat cable.
Old 11-23-2021, 06:10 PM   #24
bcrvman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26399
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy J View Post
First off, thanks for all the input. Husband removed the ceiling trim and definitely identified water as the culprit. Suspect point of entry is somewhere around where the AC was installed. Has anyone ever removed the AC unit as it looks like we may have to in order to get to the bottom of this There was also
dampness in the ceiling truss which concerns me that we may now have to think about mold issues also. We are no longer under warranty, our model is a 2019 MHC 321 RL. Any of your experienced thoughts/ideas would be greatly appreciated.
First report the date you first noticed the issue to get it on record with your dealer. Now determine the cause (most likely AC) now check warrantee on the part that caused the problem, it might be 2 years or more. You might get some coverage if you are lucky. Since it is water inside the attic, the hot summer weather will dry it out if you leave the AC off and open everything up to allow max air flow for a few weeks. Checking the guts of the attic is likely at least a $5k job, I doubt you can remove the roof for much less. I assume you have done your 6 month cycle reseal of all joints on the roof. Actually the Keystone warrantee is 3 months but that ship has sailed a long time ago. I sealed the end cap seams with eternabond, That sucker ain't ever going to leak and I live in a moderate rain forest.
3,000 watt hybrid inverter with 120A charger
bcrvman is offline   Reply With Quote