Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 12-17-2023, 08:33 AM   #1
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
What idiots are designing new H.C.s?

I looked at the 311rd. Absolutely horrible design. 'Den' in rear has your tv, couches, etc PLUS the kitchen table! Then no closets anywhere in the unit that is full length. BR has 2 closets about 2 ft. wide each, BUT get this, divided in half with only 3 ft top half and 3 ft bottom half.

No where to hang a long coat, dress or slacks.
How can 2 adults travel with a total of 4 ft of half height closets?
Also has a front BR window, which some may like, but I completely darken the BR to stop the morning sun coming in!!

Oh well. You may want to look at some of these new units.???

And on a slightly different tact, I thought they started down hill when they switched color schemes on the outside. Yep, lets color them black or almost black - especially the slideout sidewalls that have REALLY good insulation (ahem) - to sit in the sun. No wonder they now put 3 A/C units in them.

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2023, 08:50 AM   #2
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Haven't seen one in person, but the floorplan does not look very good. For one thing, the oversize bathroom, while very nice for a bathroom, takes up far too much room for a 35' trailer. Leaves very little room for a decent kitchen. And no place for a dining table in the kitchen. And the front window really plays heck with getting a good layout for the bedroom. Lot of wasted space. Some will like it. But I think they will have to do some rethinking on that floorplan before it will be appealing to very many.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2023, 08:57 AM   #3
MandK
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #28430
I know I don’t like some of the new floor plans either, but keystone makes many of these changes based on customer feedback. As far as the dark colors, cobalt has been the most popular paint on the legacy, so maybe that has something to do with it. Maybe the slideout ends are dark because it’s less expensive for the high countries and they don’t have to paint them on the legacy? Hides the rubber marks too for folks that use the seal dope that makes the seals sticky? I don’t know. I like the new rear kitchen, but I would be Leary of it unless it’s set up as a park model or has IS. My favorites I guess would still be
The 3121 (3123) and the 3231. I consider them easy and there’s not enough square footage to get too “creative”, tons (literally) of cargo capacity and that makes for a Lot of gvwr left over unused, which I like. But other opinions matter which is why there are so many floor plans.
MandK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2023, 09:49 AM   #4
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
Several years ago we attended a rally for another brand. They had a new President who had a new idea he was going to implement. The folks who designed the floor plans had to go spend a week in them and see how they liked them.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2023, 10:06 AM   #5
newowneroldmontana
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19318
Who designed them? Probably the same type of young, "innovative," "forward-thinking" go-getters who are re-designing everything these days and rendering many products, and systems in general, impractical and unusable.

My local Walmart was just re-designed to cater to a much younger, more upscale clientele than currently exists in my town--and it was clearly designed by someone who's never been grocery shopping anywhere, let alone at a Walmart. A trip that used to take an hour now takes two, because nothing about the store makes sense anymore. Customers and employees are all p*ssed off.

"How can 2 adults travel with a total of 4 foot of half height closets?"

They can't. The people who designed the new rig don't know that, because they've only been adults for a couple of years now. They think a front bedroom window is fine because they've never felt the need for privacy or sleep.

And painting stuff black-- (que The Rolling Stones in my head)--is also a new (bone-headed) style. The new status symbol in housing seems to be having a house that's white with black trim--*or black with white trim*--with what look like natural-colored wooden posts holding up the roof over the front porch. Fine for the winter, I guess--but where I live, summer lasts around seven months.

The very young adults want big bathrooms because they take selfies using bathroom mirrors. They spend lots of time in bathrooms, grooming themselves in various ridiculous new ways. They don't need a big kitchen, or a kitchen at all, because they don't cook. They eat out.
newowneroldmontana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2023, 10:18 AM   #6
newowneroldmontana
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19318
The table's in the "den" with the TV because that's where the young adults eat the restaurant food they've just had delivered--they eat it in front of the TV while playing video games, or while "binge-watching" a show on a streaming network they pay a lot of money for.
Old 12-17-2023, 10:22 AM   #7
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
I just watched a video of it. It's basically the same unit as mine except they reconfigured the rear living by putting the entertainment center on the back wall and making a U shaped kitchen. I personally don't like the floor plan although the bed and bath are the same. I prefer the big rear window on the rear wall and don't care for the pantry and fridge in the living room. I also don't care for the outdoor kitchen as it takes away from the pantry. Other then that, I don't have a problem hanging clothes in the closets. There isn't a lot of closet space but this unit is only 35' long. Obviously if you are full timing or working out of you rig, you would want to go bigger. Oh and I LOVE the front windshield! It has a blackout shade. In the morning I open it and let there be light! You can't see in during the day but it sure makes the space larger by letting the outside in.
Old 12-17-2023, 03:54 PM   #8
skippydoo
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #25725
If you find out, let us know.

My husband and I find ourselves asking the very same question.
skippydoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2023, 04:53 PM   #9
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
Quote:
Originally Posted by skippydoo View Post
If you find out, let us know.

My husband and I find ourselves asking the very same question.
What post are you referring to? What question?
Old 12-17-2023, 10:32 PM   #10
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
The dining area in the "den" (living room area) really isn't so far fetched. EVERY bar and grill, EVER restaurant one goes to, EVERY saloon, Pub, Tavern has televisions plastered on every wall so no matter where one sits, they have view of a television somewhere.

It only makes sense this "need" for constant electronic bombardment would also be incorporated into RV's. What's so surprising about that.

I suppose ANYONE on these forums, if you visited your local Pub or Bar and Grill and all the televisions were removed, you'd probably walk out and go somewhere else. So, don't bit the hand of the designers! They are only following what contemporary American society wants.

Bottom line.... if you don't like that floor plan, then don't buy it!
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2023, 06:56 AM   #11
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
It isn’t a floor plan I would like but someone will. They may be throwing stuff against the wall to see what sticks.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2023, 07:09 AM   #12
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
I agree with mlh...floor plans come and go - probably based on market conditions/sales. They don't make my unit anymore (front full bathtub) probably because they did not sell very many. But DW LOVES it - glad we got one while the gittin' was good. Very thankful for that "idiot" who designed our unit. I say "Good job!".
Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2023, 09:58 AM   #13
skippydoo
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #25725
What idiots are designing new H.C.s?

^^^^^
That one.
Old 12-18-2023, 10:02 AM   #14
skippydoo
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #25725
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foldbak View Post
What post are you referring to? What question?

"What idiots are designing new H.C.s?"

^^^^
That one.
Old 12-18-2023, 01:25 PM   #15
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
I don't object to the table not in the kitchen, per se. It is that you have to walk around the center and the back of the couch in the LR, then go all the way to the end of the rig and finally can put the food on the table. If it was simply between LR and K and open to both, it would be acceptable.

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2023, 09:26 AM   #16
432bartman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26190
The person who designed it on paper, never thought of what it would actually be like to live in. Most of us on this forum could do a better job of designing their units. If there's any corporate people on this site, they need to go back and start from scratch with an emphasis on QUALITY, QUALITY QUALITY.
2019 Keystone Montana 3560RL, 2020 Chevy 2500 HD, Firestone airbags, Air Lift wireless compressor, Curt gooseneck, 20K Reese Goosebox, TST-507, USMC combat vet & retired LEO. Robert, Anika, Breanna, Dylan (daughter-in-law Stephanie). & our Great Pyrenees Layla
432bartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2023, 09:43 AM   #17
182flyer
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #30432
Dutchmensport +1; Bottom line.... if you don't like that floor plan, then don't buy it!

72 yrs old and understand some of the frustrations. But, pounding on young people???
182flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2023, 10:55 AM   #18
newowneroldmontana
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19318
[QUOTE

72 yrs old and understand some of the frustrations. But, pounding on young people???[/QUOTE]

Not pounding on young people. We've all been young. I'm 54--my generation raised the 25-30-year-olds of today.

I'm pounding on corporations who hire super-young executives to re-design products and services in the hopes of making money off of young people, when young people are not the actual main consumers of those products and services. For the actual main consumers, the re-designs often render the products and services far inferior to what they used to be--and yet we're all stuck with the re-designs, because that's what's available for us to buy or use.

Take, for instance, my example of my local Walmart: Only a small fraction of the people who shop there regularly want or can afford many of the new products which have been brought in, replacing other products. Most of the shoppers at Walmart are 30+, with jobs, bills, families, and responsibilities. They can't afford to spend $25 on a pair of name-brand sweatpants, instead of the Walmart brand thats costs them $12. They don't want to spend $25 on a pair of sweatpants. Yet my local Walmart is now full of mannequins and digital displays and over-priced clothes that no one wants or can afford, and many of the regular, cheaper products are now gone. And the check-out system, which used to run very smoothly even with lots of the self check-out lanes that I prefer, has been re-designed so that everyone now waits in one of two very long lines, for a very long time, only to be directed on where to go to check out in a big corral of registers, instead of just picking a spot and going to it. It's ridiculous. Even the self-checkout stations have been redesigned so that now you're supposed to do everything backwards, and there's no room to put anything once you've scanned it and put it in a bag.

So I meant what I said--Walmarts are being re-designed by people who've never been grocery shopping.

The new RVs are most likely being designed by very young people who've never traveled in an RV, who the companies have hired in order to get very young people to buy RVs. The companies want to create new markets, and establish a new customer base as older customers age out of the market.

Reality is that very young people are not going to buy many new RVs--retiring people are. But people can only buy what's made available to them.
Old 12-19-2023, 11:55 AM   #19
182flyer
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #30432
No argument here; just gotta ask, who hired these young people?
182flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2023, 11:57 AM   #20
newowneroldmontana
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19318
Quote:
Originally Posted by 182flyer View Post
No argument here; just gotta ask, who hired these young people?
People my age, most likely!