Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 12-24-2023, 06:55 PM   #1
Gonefishing
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #33285
Fireplace

Has anyone changed there electric fireplace over to a gas log fireplace?

2021 Montana 3761fl pulled with a 2022 F350 King Ranch
Gonefishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2023, 08:31 PM   #2
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
That sounds like a really bad idea to me…but when I was a kid we had those old gas space heaters on the floor in every room. Those ornate ceramic bricks would glow red…and I loved the wall heater in the bathroom. Turn the valve key and light it with a match. Somehow I survived being a kid in the 50s and 60s.
Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2023, 07:06 PM   #3
Gonefishing
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #33285
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikendebbie View Post
That sounds like a really bad idea to me…but when I was a kid we had those old gas space heaters on the floor in every room. Those ornate ceramic bricks would glow red…and I loved the wall heater in the bathroom. Turn the valve key and light it with a match. Somehow I survived being a kid in the 50s and 60s.
Curious why it’s a bad ideal. I was thinking just remove the electric fireplace replace it with a firebox and gas logs. Would only be used when at the camper.
Old 12-25-2023, 07:31 PM   #4
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
I am having a hard time picturing a “firebox” substantial enough to isolate the heat from a gas appliance from the “match-stick” wood framing in the entertainment center. I don’t think our electric fireplaces put out enough heat to warm the wood to combustion point. I would want to vent the heat to the interior that might build up in the cavities behind the entertainment center. Maybe you can find a metal insulated firebox enclosure suited for this application. I suppose the living room area around the entertainment center would be as well ventilated as the area around the stove - so the danger of carbon monoxide in the coach would not be greater. I don’t mean to harsh your idea - just thinking out loud. I hope you figure out how to incorporate the gas logs safely. Take lots of pics and post them here.
Old 12-25-2023, 08:06 PM   #5
Gonefishing
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #33285
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikendebbie View Post
I am having a hard time picturing a “firebox” substantial enough to isolate the heat from a gas appliance from the “match-stick” wood framing in the entertainment center. I don’t think our electric fireplaces put out enough heat to warm the wood to combustion point. I would want to vent the heat to the interior that might build up in the cavities behind the entertainment center. Maybe you can find a metal insulated firebox enclosure suited for this application. I suppose the living room area around the entertainment center would be as well ventilated as the area around the stove - so the danger of carbon monoxide in the coach would not be greater. I don’t mean to harsh your idea - just thinking out loud. I hope you figure out how to incorporate the gas logs safely. Take lots of pics and post them here.
I was thinking the same set up as you would have in your house if you have gas logs
Old 12-26-2023, 04:37 AM   #6
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
I did about 10 minutes worth of “research” on the topic this morning and I stand corrected! They do make the self contained insulated units for gas fireplaces that will work for you. It looks like you will need to install a vent to the outside - whether you go thru the roof or the sidewall, and use non-combustible material to trim out the rough opening. Pay attention to the weight of the insert unit as you do your search. A few that I looked at were in the 500 lbs range. Hopefully one of the slide experts on the forum can advise on weight ratings of the slides.
Old 12-26-2023, 09:10 AM   #7
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
Personally I wouldn't consider it. Maybe if I were full timing, but not traveling. I found a couple youtuber's that have done it. Not impressed. Too much can go wrong.
Old 12-31-2023, 02:27 PM   #8
Speck56
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #25158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonefishing View Post
I was thinking the same set up as you would have in your house if you have gas logs
Real fire hazard. No manufacturers do that. Liability issues
Speck56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2023, 09:33 PM   #9
pastorbill

M.O.C. #33725
Moisture issues to think about

Keep in mind that for every gallon of propane burned you have a pint of water that is emitted in the air. Enough to cause mold and mildew issues.
pastorbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2023, 10:06 PM   #10
Gonefishing
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #33285
Gave up that ideal