Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 04-18-2020, 11:41 AM   #1
Gbailey9099
Established Member

M.O.C. #26123
Front slide water carpet

Hello.

Have 2018 375FL. Bought used about 6 months ago and have had one issue I can’t figure out for he life of me.

Front slide in the living room, I pulled out one of the couches when I bought it and that slide has been sitting open for months. Water is coming from somewhere, and there’s about a 2 - 3 ft stretch in the front corner that’s getting orange mold. I clean it, watch all windows and condensation, and the stuff just comes back. The wall is wet (seems to be condensation) for about 1’ up from the floor. I can’t figure out for the life of me where the waters coming from. It’s not wet up top, under any windows, I just have no idea.

About to just rip the carpet out. Going crazy. I have tape I could reseal the top but I don’t think it’s leaking from up there.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

[img] https://imgur.com/a/PJaTQas [/img]

Gbailey9099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 03:09 PM   #2
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
I'm thinking that water is coming from the window. Couple of things to check. Make sure the weep holes in the window tracks are not stopped up. Make sure they open to the outside. Some have reported the frames were orient wrong before the hardware was put on causing them to drain to the inside of the unit. Inspect the butyl tape that seals the window frame to the exterior of the trailer. Insure it is all intact with no voids.
Old 04-18-2020, 09:24 PM   #3
Ahdmeyer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #24181
i know you do not want it wetter but maybe take the hose and start at the bottom of the window slowly and see if it starts leaking maybe pull that carpet back to see it. then slowly work your way up the window. if it doesn,t leak there it may be from the top of the slide leaking down into the corner, just a few thoughts good luck
al meyer
3931fb
az
Ahdmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 10:04 PM   #4
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
Our first time finding a leak in the door side slide was frustrating as there was no visible place where the water was coming from. I finally taped a clear plastic sheet over the front window of the slide and the leak stopped. I found water was getting into the wall from a slight gap between the window frame and the exterior wall surface, and it was migrating under the wall into the carpet. I finally used black silicone sealant to caulk the entire perimeter of the frame to the wall and it hasn’t leaked since. I had two other windows do the same thing over time and ended up caulking all of the windows on the rig and don’t have any more leaks.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 09:35 AM   #5
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
On the side of the slide, near the bottom of the wall you will note a strip that should be well sealed. My guess is that you will find that it isn't sealed all that well.
Old 04-19-2020, 10:43 AM   #6
Gbailey9099
Established Member

M.O.C. #26123
Appreciate everyone’s input.
All the weep holes are good and clear. I ran the hose all over today and found no leak. I’m going to pull some carpet up and see if I can track anything farther.

When you guys reseal you pull out the old seal or go right over the top of it?
Old 04-20-2020, 06:58 PM   #7
Ahdmeyer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #24181
when i resealed my motorhome i took a heat gun very carefully and softened all the old sealant and removed it then cleaned the areas with acetone and reapplied new dacor sealant. lots of work but i wanted to start with a clean slate, never had another leak while i had it.
al meyer
3931fb
az
Ahdmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 10:33 PM   #8
jsmitfl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1709
Send a message via MSN to jsmitfl
GBailey. Not familiar with your floor plan but if your tv antenna is up front and on the off door side I would check and see if all is tight with it. There’s a rubber grommet around the wire and it tends to rot or even slip up. That water will run in the hole and down your ceiling to the wall. Just another place to check.
jsmitfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 05:12 AM   #9
Eagleback
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15731
Might be the plastic outside trim piece attached around the slide leaking at the caulk joint we already have threads on that one.
2017, 3500 Ram Big Horn, 4x4, Crew Cab, DRW, Aisin Transmission, 4:10. Curt Q20, 2014 Mountaineer 331 RLT, Sailun's on the rv and truck.
Eagleback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 11:34 AM   #10
Gbailey9099
Established Member

M.O.C. #26123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagleback View Post
Might be the plastic outside trim piece attached around the slide leaking at the caulk joint we already have threads on that one.
Can I get a link to a discussion about this ?
Old 04-23-2020, 11:35 AM   #11
Gbailey9099
Established Member

M.O.C. #26123
I thought I found it with some bad caulking along the bottom of the slide. I redid it real good yesterday and still have water this morning.
Next nice day I think I’ll just recaulk the whole slide.
Old 04-27-2020, 04:14 PM   #12
Ohioken7
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #23846
I recommend taking the window out, put new seal in, then reinstall window. Ours leaked and ruined the bottom of the slide, was covered under warranty. When we opened the window, we could see where the seal on one corner was not compressed at all, which allowed water to seep in. We ended up with mushrooms in the carpet too, gross.
Ohioken7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mold, slide, water