Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > TIRES, Montana Tires
Click Here to Login

Old 01-20-2022, 04:04 PM   #1
FastLane5

M.O.C. #30386
Rainer STs ?

I’ve read the posts on the Sailin tires and recalls etc. we picked up our new Montanta 281CK “baby house” and we’re looking to take our 3rd camping trip to Tampa this weekend. I’ve been told factory tires are “China Bombs” and should be replaced.
We visited a tire shop about 100 miles after we took delivery of our new 5th wheel and the shop manager said he wouldn’t feel good about selling me new tires when these were just fine.
Can anyone provide some insight on what we should do? I want to have some level of confidence we’re safe on the road with these tires.
We have Rainer ST on the side walls . Says “made in China”

FastLane5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 05:18 PM   #2
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
Few years ago, good friends had a new Jayco with Rainer tires. We did the Canadian Maritime trip and they went thru all 5 tires during that trip. That's the only experience I've had with them.
Old 01-20-2022, 06:05 PM   #3
Vet4jdc
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23051
I don't think there is anything wrong with the Rainer tires on your fifth wheel if they were on a smaller, lighter travel trailer. What I believe to be true is that they are not of a high enough capacity to carry the weight of a Montana fifth wheel.

People that change to Sailuns are going from a 12 ply tire that is lightweight and going to a G rated 14 ply tire. The difference is night and day.

We purchased a brand new Montana HC 331RL in January of 2019. I removed the Rainers in April of that same year. I was able to pick up and hold a 12 ply Rainer as well as the 14 ply Sailun and man, what a difference.

The sidewall is heavier, the tread is deeper and the overall weight of the material in the Sailun is just much better. After spending my hard earned money on a new fifth wheel, I'm glad we switched to a 14 ply tire for our unit.

I won't tell anyone to replace a brand new tire, I'm just saying I feel much better for my unit having a 14 ply G rated tires on it.
Old 01-20-2022, 06:25 PM   #4
JDDilly
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #25257
I replaced mine after about 1000 miles. I went we Sailun and they are recalled, getting them replaced in a couple weeks with the same Sailun tires.

Jim and Carole
Roseville, MN
2018 RAM 3500 DRW, Diesel, Long Box, Air Lift Bags - 2020 Montana HC 381TH, Sailun S637
JDDilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 06:42 PM   #5
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
I will never, ever, ever have or use anything again if it has a Rainier tire:

AND HERE'S Why! We had the camper less than 6 months when this happened:

DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 06:44 PM   #6
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
I got 3 years and 7000 miles out of my OEM Rainiers (G rated). I generally drive 60-65 mph so I never pushed them hard. Most of that time I did not know enough about tires to worry about them. My RV was stored outside with no shade during that time. The sidewalls started showing micro-cracks and I replaced all 5 tires with Saliuns from China.
Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 03:57 PM   #7
Lee-CI
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30262
G-rated Rainer

Picked up our 331RL last month and taking off for our first trip this coming week. Ours came with the G-rated Raniers. One of the few things I wasn't real thrilled about. Since these are G-rated, is the general consensus that these are still considered China bomb may-pops? Worst case scenario, I'm only planning on keeping them on the MHC until early summer. Thoughts on the topic would be welcomed....
Lee-CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 04:11 PM   #8
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Lee,

Most of the issues with the Rainer tires were around the 12 ply ones. I would not run out and replace the 14 ply tires right away.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 04:12 PM   #9
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
Before you upgrade your tires, check your rims to be sure they are rated for G rated tires (110 psi).
There is a stamp on the rim on the inboard side.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tire rim stamp.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	11064  
Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 04:26 PM   #10
Lee-CI
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30262
Appreciate the input. The DW and I looked at various fivers for almost a year before deciding on the MHC. I can't say why, but I was expecting the unit to have the Sailun G-rated tires in lieu of the Rainer brand. Like some others, my absolute max speed is 65, so will baby our current setup for a while. Hope folks here on MOC know what a wealth of information gets posted here.
Old 01-21-2022, 05:43 PM   #11
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Apparently the Rainer ST in a G range is new. It appears to have a comparable weight capacity of other G rated tires and a Speed Rating of 81 MPH. A lot better than the F rated tires the used before on the HC.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 07:52 PM   #12
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
I bought my unit Jan 2018. It was built Nov 2017. I was mesmerized by the brochures i picked up at the Fort Worth RV show, i seem to remember seeing information in the sales information that Saliuns were standard, so i just wrote it down in my mind that i had Saliuns. Of course the brochures still showed the Morryde pin box as standard also...but i got the Lippert unit I also noticed much later. Frankly i did not notice that i had Rainiers until we were getting ready for our summer 2019 vacation. By that time i had been reading more about tires here on the forum, and i had a Homer Simpson “DOH!” moment. The time to notice the tires was Jan 2018. Oh well - live and learn. I got 3 years out of them.

So i can tell you they were using Rainier Gs when i got my RV...dont know when they started to be used in lieu of Saliun Gs.
Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 08:07 PM   #13
Creeker
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23094
We put around 10,000 trouble free miles on our OEM Rainers. They still looked like new when I replaced them with Sailuns. The Sailuns were such junk they have been recalled. Big mistake on my part.

I wish I had left the Rainers on for another season, then replaced with made in USA Goodyears this year. I will never purchase another camper tire not made in North America. Regardless of price.
Creeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 09:45 PM   #14
ICT LPX

M.O.C. #24674
I got 2 years use before one exploded. I replace all 4 plus a new spare.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BFA1B37E-333C-42EA-B0CC-2A58A248E886.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	254.7 KB
ID:	11067   Click image for larger version

Name:	6F8AE23F-75C7-4595-AC8B-4F8DB765C20E.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	372.8 KB
ID:	11068  
B&W Companion Hitch / Furion rear camara
ICT LPX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 07:03 AM   #15
Lee-CI
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30262
Quote:
Originally Posted by ICT LPX View Post
I got 2 years use before one exploded. I replace all 4 plus a new spare.
Were those the F rated or G rated Rainers? Our first outing yesterday was only a two hour trip, but sure liking the way the HC is pulling.
Old 01-24-2022, 06:54 PM   #16
Mike4956
Established Member

M.O.C. #29938
My 2022 295rl has these 14 ply Rainier G rated, I really like them. So far so good.

https://www.tredittire.com/tire/rainier-st-all-steel/
Mike4956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 07:18 PM   #17
Dam Worker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17164
It always amazes me that some people only look at an issue with there own personal experience. I think that is a good starting point but you should also look at the big picture of everyone else’s experience. I had what was considered China bombs on my unit, probably way worse than your Rainier's. In my research it seemed to indicate that the primary tire failure issues were speed and weight. In my humble opinion it is logical that tires that are overloaded and or pulled over their respective speed rating are certainly more subject to failure especially when both of those subjects are in play. I haven’t seen the (Rainier) name mentioned near as much as some others in tire failures. I have even had a Michelin Tire fail on the rear of my old TV and I prefer Michelin over most other tires.
I was a proponent of Sailun tires before they became wildly popular so I will go out on a limb and say that their failure rate was extremely rare until the batch of tires manufactured in Vietnam. In my defense I was ready to shell out the big bucks for Goodyear tires until I really noticed just how many failures had happened and continued to happen. Yes Goodyear usually stood behind their tire but that doesn’t help you when you are stranded along side of the road. The Sailun tires had almost a perfect record for years and yes mine are still on my Montana. Run the Rainiers until you are ready to switch to another tire. Just remember the two rules of overloaded and over the speed rating. I wish you well and happy and safe roads to you.

Tom Marty
Old 01-24-2022, 09:56 PM   #18
JDDilly
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #25257
I had the F rated Rainers and got about 4000 miles. Replaced with Sailuns, that ended up under the recall and will be replaced next week. I will continue with the Sailuns, they had an issue and stepped up and a replacing them, and from what I understand any damage to your rig if you had a blowout. Overall, they have had a great record.

Jim and Carole
Roseville, MN
2018 RAM 3500 DRW, Diesel, Long Box, Air Lift Bags - 2020 Montana HC 381TH, Sailun S637
JDDilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 07:30 AM   #19
Lee-CI
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30262
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastLane5 View Post
I’ve read the posts on the Sailin tires and recalls etc. we picked up our new Montanta 281CK “baby house” and we’re looking to take our 3rd camping trip to Tampa this weekend. I’ve been told factory tires are “China Bombs” and should be replaced.
We visited a tire shop about 100 miles after we took delivery of our new 5th wheel and the shop manager said he wouldn’t feel good about selling me new tires when these were just fine.
Can anyone provide some insight on what we should do? I want to have some level of confidence we’re safe on the road with these tires.
We have Rainer ST on the side walls . Says “made in China”
As a fellow new forum member, I hope you can appreciate the vast amount of knowledge - i.e. experience - as I do, as well as opinions. Like you i've read a lot about the Rainer tires in this and other forums. As for myself, I've made the decision to run our G rated Raniers for a good while. Hopefully our TPMS shows up by the time we return to our S&B. I don't hitch up to our HC without checking the air pressure on both the TV and fiver. We are also not the least bit uncomfortable with keeping our speeds down. Whether two or four lane highways, other folks can go around us as they please and we will assist them if safe to do so on two lane roads which we actually prefer. Each fuel or rest stop we check the tire, brake and hub temps with an infared temp gun. I'll report back with issues if any are incurred. Thanks folks for your input.
Happy camping from Bellah Mine COE campground in Southwest Arkansas!
Old 01-25-2022, 08:21 AM   #20
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dam Worker View Post
It always amazes me that some people only look at an issue with there own personal experience. I think that is a good starting point but you should also look at the big picture of everyone else’s experience. I had what was considered China bombs on my unit, probably way worse than your Rainier's. In my research it seemed to indicate that the primary tire failure issues were speed and weight. In my humble opinion it is logical that tires that are overloaded and or pulled over their respective speed rating are certainly more subject to failure especially when both of those subjects are in play. I haven’t seen the (Rainier) name mentioned near as much as some others in tire failures. I have even had a Michelin Tire fail on the rear of my old TV and I prefer Michelin over most other tires.
I was a proponent of Sailun tires before they became wildly popular so I will go out on a limb and say that their failure rate was extremely rare until the batch of tires manufactured in Vietnam. In my defense I was ready to shell out the big bucks for Goodyear tires until I really noticed just how many failures had happened and continued to happen. Yes Goodyear usually stood behind their tire but that doesn’t help you when you are stranded along side of the road. The Sailun tires had almost a perfect record for years and yes mine are still on my Montana. Run the Rainiers until you are ready to switch to another tire. Just remember the two rules of overloaded and over the speed rating. I wish you well and happy and safe roads to you.

Tom Marty

I agree, have said this for several years ,when the Goodyear fan club get on here ,and start pushing them. Until this Vietnam thing ,Sailun have a much better track record than Goodyear .
PSFORD99 is offline   Reply With Quote