Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MONTANA OWNERS CLUB COMMUNITY > Forum Help | Announcements | Suggestion Box
Click Here to Login

Old 08-06-2010, 05:44 PM   #1
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Adding a "States Visited" Map to Your Signature

Many members like to have a map of the States they have visited in their signature. The instructions for building the map can be found at http://www.epgsoft.com/VisitedStatesMap/ Following the instructions there results in you having a picture of the States you have visited stored as a .jpg file on your computer. I assume you have finished the process of building the States Visited map and have stored the resulting image as a .jpg on your computer.

Upload the Picture to Tinypic

The next step is to load the picture (let's say you named it states.visited.jpg) to a web site. I use Tinypic for my pictures, so that is what I will show you. Go to www.tinypic.com and you should see this screen (there is more, this is just a partial image).

Select "Browse" to the right of "File Name:" and locate the file you saved as states.visited.jpg. Double clicking on it will bring you back to the above screen with the fully qualified file name loaded. Now click on the "UPLOAD NOW!" button. You will be prompted to answer a "security question" (what characters are displayed?) and then your picture will be uploaded. Assuming the upload was successful (I am not going to try and cover what to do if it fails), you should see a screen like this:

You want to save (cut/paste) the data in the second box entitled "IMG Code for Forums & Message Boards". In this example the data is [IMG]http://i38.tinypic.com/14bi4n5.jpg[/IMG] Save the data in a file somewhere where you can find it later. I have a Word document in which I keep all of the Tinypic links with comments about what they are.

Update Your Profile

Next we will add the Tinypic link information to your MOC Profile so it will be displayed on each of your posts. In the upper right hand corner of every MOC page is a number of options, you want to click on the "Profile" one

Provide your User Name and current password and click on "Submit". Here is an example (my profile) of what you will be looking at:

What we want is the box labeled "Signature". Anything in this field is automatically added to every post you make. As you can see, I have some text about my truck and Montana along with a link to Tinypic for my current picture. Actually there is more there but this gives you an idea of what it looks like.

You can also add other text, pictures, or most anything you want. But let's start with your States Visited picture. You need to store that Tinypic link data you saved earlier in your "Signature" field. Cut/Paste it (you can type the whole string by hand, but if your typing skills are like mine, it will never be right) into the "Signature" field, then Click on the "Preview button. Hopefully an image of your States Visited will magically appear. Assuming it does, don't forget to click on the "Submit" button at the bottom of the page. This saves your updates for future use.

Hopefully this makes sense to you and results in a profile signature you like.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 03:49 PM   #2
Mynabird
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8757
Thanks, Carl!
Mynabird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 04:12 PM   #3
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Darn!

If I had just taken a short detour.

Look close, Deleware is not filled in either.

Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 03:52 AM   #4
PackersBackers
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8100
Carl, thank you for the information. I have been trying to find how to do this and finally came to your page. I'm not sure if I understand how to add states to the map however. Maybe I missed it and probably did but do I have to make a new pic and .jpg on my computer everytime I wish to add another state visited?? Thank you for your help.
PackersBackers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 06:10 AM   #5
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
To be honest, I don't use the map feature. But as John mentioned in the other thread, you do have to update the map on their website which results in a new JPG image. That new JPG has to be loaded to TinyPic or whatever you are using as a host and then adding the new url to your Profile. I hope this helps.

Old 11-01-2012, 12:34 PM   #6
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Thanks Carl!!!
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 02:59 AM   #7
KathyandDave
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8693
Send a message via MSN to KathyandDave
I have previously used photobucket, but they have changed the website so I can't get to or save the url of the new maps and I can't look at their properties to see how big the previous maps are (to match previously saved from the map website).
Edit: I've created the new maps in epgSoft, saved as medium size, PNG files and uploaded them to tinypics, as suggested by Carl n Susan. You can see how they look, below. Meanwhile, I can leave my mods pix on photobucket. Thanks to Carl for working this out.
KathyandDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 04:56 AM   #8
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
Looks like it worked, except it wiped out the other things I had there.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 01:23 PM   #9
Camping Koehlers
Established Member

M.O.C. #9397
Thank you! I haven't done the states visited yet, but your instructions helped me upload the pic of our rig!
Camping Koehlers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 04:08 PM   #10
ram3500

M.O.C. #16078
Trying to see if the Map appears
ram3500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 10:24 AM   #11
Leo and Becky

M.O.C. #17586
I used your instructions to create my states visited map and added a picture to my signature. Your insrtuctions were clear, to the point, and easy to follow. Thanks for your help.
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by carl n susan

Many members like to have a map of the States they have visited in their signature. The instructions for building the map can be found at http://www.epgsoft.com/VisitedStatesMap/ Following the instructions there results in you having a picture of the States you have visited stored as a .jpg file on your computer. I assume you have finished the process of building the States Visited map and have stored the resulting image as a .jpg on your computer.

Upload the Picture to Tinypic

The next step is to load the picture (let's say you named it states.visited.jpg) to a web site. I use Tinypic for my pictures, so that is what I will show you. Go to www.tinypic.com and you should see this screen (there is more, this is just a partial image).

Select "Browse" to the right of "File Name:" and locate the file you saved as states.visited.jpg. Double clicking on it will bring you back to the above screen with the fully qualified file name loaded. Now click on the "UPLOAD NOW!" button. You will be prompted to answer a "security question" (what characters are displayed?) and then your picture will be uploaded. Assuming the upload was successful (I am not going to try and cover what to do if it fails), you should see a screen like this:

You want to save (cut/paste) the data in the second box entitled "IMG Code for Forums & Message Boards". In this example the data is [IMG]http://i38.tinypic.com/14bi4n5.jpg[/IMG] Save the data in a file somewhere where you can find it later. I have a Word document in which I keep all of the Tinypic links with comments about what they are.

Update Your Profile

Next we will add the Tinypic link information to your MOC Profile so it will be displayed on each of your posts. In the upper right hand corner of every MOC page is a number of options, you want to click on the "Profile" one

Provide your User Name and current password and click on "Submit". Here is an example (my profile) of what you will be looking at:

What we want is the box labeled "Signature". Anything in this field is automatically added to every post you make. As you can see, I have some text about my truck and Montana along with a link to Tinypic for my current picture. Actually there is more there but this gives you an idea of what it looks like.

You can also add other text, pictures, or most anything you want. But let's start with your States Visited picture. You need to store that Tinypic link data you saved earlier in your "Signature" field. Cut/Paste it (you can type the whole string by hand, but if your typing skills are like mine, it will never be right) into the "Signature" field, then Click on the "Preview button. Hopefully an image of your States Visited will magically appear. Assuming it does, don't forget to click on the "Submit" button at the bottom of the page. This saves your updates for future use.

Hopefully this makes sense to you and results in a profile signature you like.
Leo and Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 09:53 AM   #12
lucyluki

M.O.C. #23494
I am following your instructions which are great, but I am not seeing the Signature box on my profile? Any ideas?
lucyluki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 10:32 AM   #13
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
These instructions are out of date. The MOC now runs on different software and there are different processes to setup your Signature (and pictures and Avatar and etc.)

There is an Forum Posting 101 topic here http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/...ad.php?t=70323
Lots of good information but posts #23 and #24 specifically address signatures. Take a look and let us know if you need further help.

Old 06-20-2019, 10:54 AM   #14
lucyluki

M.O.C. #23494
Thanks for the quick reply. I think I have it now.
lucyluki is offline   Reply With Quote