Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Polls
Click Here to Login

View Poll Results: Product Input: What type of TV do you want in your Montana?
TV with higher than 1080p resolution 8 10.13%
4K TV 9 11.39%
Smart TV with preinstalled apps 14 17.72%
4K & Smart TV 40 50.63%
Other: vote here and place your recommendation in a comment 8 10.13%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-27-2021, 04:31 PM   #21
Preston & Terri
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14645
Our issue with the Jensen is the HDMI ARC channel quit working very soon after we bought our 2020 3931FB. I pulled the DVD/Radio out and checked connections, changed cables, etc. Called ASA Electronics and troubleshot over the phone with their expert who determined that it indeed was a warranty issue and I could take it back to the dealer for replacement.
Problem #1 - We are traveling fulltimers, turning over RV to dealer is not an option.
Problem #2 - Dealer would not order new unit from ASA unless it was checked out by their technician, in their facility, still installed in the RV.

This could have been an easy fix if the dealer would have ordered the new unit, contacted me when it arrived, I remove the old unit and exchange with them at their facility, I install new unit.

Or even easier, allow consumer to work directly with ASA under warranty.

Retired FULLTIMERS that Travel & Work -- 2020 3931FB Legacy Edition -- OEM Sailun S637T's -- 2017 F350 DRW, 4.10 axle, 6.7L -- PullRite OE Puck Super-5th 25K hitch -- Dish Network w/ Winegard G2 automatic portable antenna -- 50A Surge Guard portable -- WiFi Ranger Elite -- Blue Streak -- YourBestAddress.com -- RVSA Certified Technician -- The UnBeetable Experience
Preston & Terri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 05:24 PM   #22
paulinbaja
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14041
I found the TV's satisfactory but the radio, amplifier and controller to be weak I've had two of each and found the same with both.
paulinbaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 05:51 PM   #23
Rjlg
Established Member

M.O.C. #27708
We picked up our 2021, 3121 rl the day before we left for Arizona for the winter. The Jensen TV is ok nothing great. Very disappointed in the sound system. Our 2013 , 3100 rl had surround sound with Sony components. Can't understand downgrading the systems on a more expensive trailer. Could have at least put a sound bar in.
Rjlg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 09:10 PM   #24
432bartman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26190
Like others, I replaced my Jenson with a same size 50" smart TV. I also bought a soundbar and bluetooth subwoofer, which sounds awesome. Total cost for the TV and soundbar was $350.00 The factory speakers, DVD player, and head unit that controls it all is not user friendly, and just sounds lame. For the money, these units should come with better TV's and sound system. I did keep the Jenson and use it for watching TV outside the trailer or I place it inside the mouth of the large storage bay.
2019 Keystone Montana 3560RL, 2020 Chevy 2500 HD, Firestone airbags, Air Lift wireless compressor, Curt gooseneck, 20K Reese Goosebox, TST-507, USMC combat vet & retired LEO. Robert, Anika, Breanna, Dylan (daughter-in-law Stephanie). & our Great Pyrenees Layla
432bartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 09:31 PM   #25
mhutchi
Established Member

M.O.C. #20888
TV

The issue, as I see it, is three fold; first is just a quality brand of TV (Samsung, LG, Sony). Smart TV should be left as an option, maybe, but not needed for most. Second is the coax, splitters and signal distribution which your engineers should be ashamed of. lastly, the jenson junk system. There was a time when Jenson was top of the line, but they have done a poor job in keeping up with technology. Surely for your "top of the line" you could do better.
mhutchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 09:29 AM   #26
Rod Spohn
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #24052
I have to say that the TV and sound system is our biggest complaint so far with our 2019 . We have upgraded the TV & added a sound bar. Our Jenson didn’t have an HDMI port but from comments here it sounds like some did have. Now my next complaint is the sound system. The controls are not very intuitive. I would think it would be easy to have marked it somehow. Like how to get speakers to work in the bedroom. Or how to turn on the outside speakers since we like being outside more. I’m sure it all works but I just haven’t figured it out.
Rod Spohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 10:57 AM   #27
CAG
Established Member

M.O.C. #24811
2019 320mk

Here is what I have done.
TVs - added firesticks
Radio - sucks and too hard to control with that tiny remote and poor buttons
Added - small travel router, this connects the firesticks and my laptop so I can use Play-On to watch recorded shows when there is no internet. I also have a TP-Link AP to get wifi when it is available and the GL-Net router lets me use my cell as the internet when needed.

failings... the firestick likes being connected to the internet, so having a downloaded Prime Video on a tablet will not stream to a firestick without internet. Dumb, yes it is... way to go Amazon. Support was surprised there are places without cell signal or internet... really they need to get out more.
CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 03:15 PM   #28
GreG L.
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21993
The TV failed 3 months after we bought our 2020, no warranty. The little we did use it showed it to be not even close to the quality of the 2 Samsung's we have. The sound quality was so poor I couldn't understand most of what was being said, remember were not 20 or 30 somethings buying these Montana's and we are dealing with a lifetime of hearing loss, some of us from standing in front of 6 foot tall speakers in places like the Fillmore in the 60's.
I replaced ours with a Samsung (not top of the line) and a sound bar on top of the riser. This has made a world of difference, and the wife has stopped telling me to get a hearing aid, that alone was worth every bit of the $400.00 total.

As for streaming, we bring our Roku with us so we don't use the smart features, but at this point in technology why would anyone (including Keystone) buy a TV without it.
GreG L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 03:42 PM   #29
CADman_KS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25060
When I saw this poll, I immediately thought that I would want a smart TV. But, after thinking about that a little bit more, and understanding that we too are in that camp in which we don't really do a lot of TV, I changed my mind.

I would like to see a TV that has HDMI ports, and connect to the sound system. I don't even think smart is required. If you want a smart TV, get one on your own, OR, like others have said, put a FireStick / Roku on it.

BUT, the one thing that I would like to see upgraded is the sound system, both IN AND OUT. The speakers outside are TERRIBLE. So terrible in fact, that I'm in the process of building our own portable bluetooth speaker that actually sounds like something. I would think that a reasonable sound bar in the living room would go a long ways towards improving the overall quality of sound.

The Jensen stereos just really are not that good, and they are expensive for what they actually do. The list for $260 on Crutchfield. It's ridiculous...
Old 01-29-2021, 10:20 AM   #30
Route66Rambler
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23433
Sam, it's so awesome that you posting these polls to get information from Montana owners, or perspective owners. Shows us you are investing in the brand. Thank you!

I voted for a 4K "non smart" or "dumb" TV. My reasoning is the same as some others. If you want that then add it yourself. I do like the idea of Keystone offering it as an upgrade option. We use our MHC for vacations and weekend trips. Do we watch TV, yes. Are we "techno geeks" who need the top of the line in electronics, no.

Our 2019 has the Furrion TV and it's fine for us. We use a Roku which I believe is a flexible option-we can stream from phones, campground wifi, hotspot or just use campground cable if available. A $30-$70 Roku is cheaper than a new TV.

As our main TV sits behind the axles it takes more bouncing than a TV over or in front of the axles so we are staying with Furrion as we believe it was made to be in an RV and can take the vibration and bouncing.
Just like the minimal shelves in the pantry and kitchen and a basic mattress that are there so the owner can add/delete/modify to their own liking, I think the electronics can be the same way.

I do like the idea of offering upgraded options available that would be installed at the factory. However, I do understand that there is only so much room and inventory space at the factory for all of these items.

Giving the customer an option to remove the TV(s) from the trailer build at the factory and having that reflected in the price or some sort of voucher to purchase a TV aftermarket would be great.

Oh, and we are some of the weirdos who still like having the DVD player!

Thank you again for the time and consideration to post these polls.
Route66Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 12:12 AM   #31
BiggarView
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19382
Send a message via AIM to BiggarView
The killer for me is the Jensen remote. Jensen's just sucks. poor quality, poor design, poor user interface, too many buttons and poor button placement.... KISS. Samsung remote is all the things the Jensen is not... but should be.

TV itself is average but it lacks everyday features that are now commonplace.

I can't speak to other brands but Jensen to Samsung is night and day different when it comes a very important part of the user experience. Samsung for the win.

2017 RAM 3500 Laramie CCLB Dually CTD Aisin, OEM auto level rear air-ride, B&W hitch
2020 3813MS Legacy Cobalt FBP, MORryde 8K IS & pinbox, PI EMS,DIY mods by in-house "craftsman", RV security system Mk1 Beagle Alerter
BiggarView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 08:49 AM   #32
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
I am willing to bet that like mattresses, TVs are real subjective. no way one size will fit all.

I voted for 4K Smart. but if picture, sound quality is poor you missed the mark.
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 10:33 AM   #33
sourdough
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26010
Something I failed to mention in my initial comments although I do believe it was mentioned in another one somewhere in the thread - HDMI ports. IMO a minimum of 3. The Furrion that came in this trailer had 2 which isn't acceptable in today's world I don't think.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 04:55 PM   #34
DebNJim B
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21158
I was initially disappointed when our 5er came with three tv's and none were smart. I thought at that price what were they thinking. Then I did some research and discovered most reviewers recommend a dumb tv with a streaming stick. The processors of the sticks are faster and they update apps better. As a matter of fact our much loved 6 year old Samsung smart TV at home cannot update with new apps and we use a Firestick with it.

We are happy with the Insignia TV's that we got in the RV. The tv sound is a bit lame though but the sound bar makes up for that. Actually my audiologist tells me with my diminished hearing not to spend a lot of money for expensive audio equipment as I can't appreciate the higher quality anyway. I also connect a blu tooth transmitter to the tv and use ear buds so DW doesn't have to put up with the sound way up.

As others have said these are very subjective and like RV mattresses each will want what they prefer. The good news is they are both easy enough to change out.

DebNJim B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 06:50 AM   #35
Davidm
Established Member

M.O.C. #25914
Samsung TV

I went to a goodwill to get some new cooking utensils for our hunting camp kitchen. When I walked in I saw a almost new Samsung 42" 4K Smart TV the guy was putting on Display. The sign said $45.00 I said "wow that must be a misprint" he said "no there's no remote" so I said "I'll Take it". I got home we had a universal remote that paired up to it and it works like a champ. I looked it up on the old interweb and it is the new model that had just come out. We have had it for almost a year now.
Davidm is offline   Reply With Quote