Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 01-28-2021, 04:44 PM   #1
Ohioken7
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #23846
Molded power plug loosening

My 50 amp male plug, side that goes into the post, has loosened. Meaning, the molded rubber part has a gap between the rubber of the wires and the plug. Still works, but should I replace it? 20 months of full time use traveling.

Advice? My inline surge protector does not see any issues yet.

Ohioken7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 05:05 PM   #2
jsb5717
Montana Master

M.O.C. #23668
I had that happen on a previous 5er. It doesn't mean that you have a problem or that you ever will. But, in my mind, it does raise the bar of potential problems. When it happened to me I bought a replacement plug, cut off the old one, and wired in the new one.
jsb5717 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 05:07 PM   #3
sourdough
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26010
Others will have their opinions but I would replace it. I've had the same situation a couple of time. First time tried various ways of "fixing"/"repairing" it but I didn't like the results. Bought a new plug and was just going to put a new end on it - upon thinking about it I liked the molded end far better for protection so that plug still sits on a shelf in the barn. When your wrestling with that plug to push it in/pull it out standing in the rain in a puddle you WILL be the shortest route to grd. for the power when the insulation fails.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 05:35 PM   #4
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
If you are talking about the outer insulation of the cord pulling out of the molded plug, you can actually work it back in. You need warm weather and sunshine. Let the sun shine on the cord and thoroughly warm it. Then clamp the cord 10’-15’ from the plug to something rigid. Then starting near the clamp, squeeze the cord with your hands and slide your hands toward the plug. Go back to the clamp and do it again. The cord outer insulation will stretch a little each time toward the plug until it starts to press against it. Add some adhesive and work the end back into into the hole in the plug. Go back and squeeze and push a few more time to get the insulation in as far as possible. Might save you a bundle of cash.

You might could do it using a heat gun or hair dryer but the cord needs to stay warm during the process. You can do the same with smaller extension cords.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 08:19 PM   #5
JoeUSNRET
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #25489
There is a youtube video from Love your RV that has a fix for this. Might give it a try. hope it helps. Joe ""
2020 RAM 3500 Mega, Dually, 4:10, HO CTD, Aisin.
JoeUSNRET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 09:13 PM   #6
Ram Montana High Country
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19944
Shrink wrap tape :

Kable Kontrol Heat Shrink Wrap Tape/Adhesive - 1" Inch Wide - 16.5 Ft Rolls - Black

this is a specific brand but goes on like black tape and then apply heat and it shrinks/seals.
Ram Montana High Country is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 03:30 PM   #7
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
We never had the insulation separate from the plug, but several years ago, plugged into a pedestal in an RV park, and the EMS would not power up the rig. It said the ground was missing. The park manager sent over their electrician and he tore apart the pedestal and everything was intact. Before he got there, I even tried connecting the 50 amp cable to the pedestal with my 50 to 30 amp dogbone, and still no change. After the electrician put the pedestal back together, I pulled the 50 amp plug out of the dogbone adapter, and found the ground prong was stuck in the dogbone adapter and had broken inside the molded plug. A new plug fixed the problem. Those molded plugs are not the highest quality, so this might be a perfect opportunity to solve a problem before it occurs.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 04:55 PM   #8
Ohioken7
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #23846
Thanks all for the advice. Stopped at a Rv store today but didn't like the selection (or price). I think I'll check the big box stores and get a replacement and maybe try to repair/tape the original until I swap it out.
Old 01-29-2021, 06:19 PM   #9
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
This is the brand I used, although this is a newer design on the handle. Worked well and very sturdy. https://www.amazon.com/Trailer-MARIN...1969464&sr=8-6
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 07:12 PM   #10
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
I have replaced my plug twice. In both cases, the wiring in the cable and the path thru the plug do NOT lend to a smooth process. I had to cross one wire over the other they way they are arranged in the cable. However, the plug didn't have room to maneuver the wiring to make a good connection without a lot of manipulation. And I don't trust the wiring. The 2nd one had the same issue and apparently the bracket that held the cable to the plug wasn't tight enough and the wires pulled loose and melted the cable/plug a little.
The bracket has an adapter to make it tighter, however, even with that there was a little looseness. This time I added something (piece of rubber - I can't remember) so I could screw it down tighter.

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 06:54 AM   #11
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
My cord did the same thing and as a result I ended up purchasing a second entire cord (although shorter) and an extension in the event the original one had total failure. I then used black electric tape and just taped up the gap in the original one real good and when connecting to shore power, I do all I can to take the weight off the plug by lifting the wire or wrapping the wire so it's own weight is not pulling downward as much. I've not had the tape come off and no exposed wires again for over a year now, plugged in 24x7x365 at home and camping.

My biggest concern doing this, was thinking there was stress being pulled on the actual wires (not the sheathing around them). But after watching the video above, it's obvious there's nothing wrong with the wires themselves. There's no extra stress on them, or any damage of them pulling out, breaking, or wearing. It's quite obvious the only problem is the rubber sheath around the wires has shrunk, causing it to pull away from the plug end. This is greatly encouraging for me, that there is really nothing functional wrong with the plug or wires at all. It' just the rubber sheath that's shrunk and pulled away. So, my black electrical tape will probably serve well for a long time. And I did wrap it pretty thick and and down the rubber sheath about 6 inches and over the top of the plug and all around. I think I used almost an entire roll of tape on it.

This is good to know. I've not had to use my "back-up" cord yet. I don't feel bad spending over $200 for the second cord, and another $200 for the extension. I've used the extension with the original a few times and I was glad I had it every time. When you go to Indiana State Parks, you just never know where the shore power post lo is going to be located.

Thank-you for the video.

I think the photo below was taken before I wrapped up the wire, and before I purchased the new one too. Looping the wire over the top helps reduce the weight pulling on the plug. I don't know if it helps anything or not, but it certainly does not hurt.

DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 03:06 PM   #12
RRman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7196
Suggest you leave it alone, maybe cover with liquid Electrical 'tape' or Flexseal...
I had the same problem and decided to fix it. Mistake. I wanted to salvage all the wire i could to maintain the length and discovered the factory connections were solid/great.
Replacement heads are not the easiest to install and I'm on my second one as the screw tight connections can get loose. Then the heat will come and start to melt the plastic head.
I would just feel the plug from time to time to see if it gets hot and or if it ever melts the "rubber" plug.
That's the easiest approach upon reflection...
RRman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 03:18 PM   #13
bcrvman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26399
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohioken7 View Post
My 50 amp male plug, side that goes into the post, has loosened. Meaning, the molded rubber part has a gap between the rubber of the wires and the plug. Still works, but should I replace it? 20 months of full time use traveling.

Advice? My inline surge protector does not see any issues yet.
Just use electricians tape and cross wrap it. The really pro fix is to disconnect the other end, slide a big heat shrink up to the plug and heat shrink it on. I would use at least 8" or even more.
3,000 watt hybrid inverter with 120A charger
bcrvman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 05:39 PM   #14
Sokcap48
Established Member

M.O.C. #27141
We had the same thing happen 6 months in and not full time. There was about 2” gap. What I did was cut a piece Of scrape hose the split it, put it around the wire put some electrical tape on it then used some of that super duper Flex tape wrapped about 3 times,
So far so good.
Sokcap48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 07:07 PM   #15
Ohioken7
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #23846
Thanks all. I ended up just pushing the rubber back into the end and using superglue to lock it in, with electric tape as an extra protection (it was pretty easy). While I was at it, I did the same to the other end as a preventive measure.

Tags
cord, plug, power