Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 06-08-2021, 09:49 PM   #1
Crypticnomad43

M.O.C. #28918
Slide out stuck

Hello I recently purchased a Keystone Montana 3820fk and was hit with my first mechanical issue. While I was retracting my slide outs I successfully retracted 2 of the 5. I have been trying to figure out and understand why 3 of the slide outs don’t want to retract. I also have been trying to locate the manual override to complete this task but I haven’t had any success. Could anyone please help.

Crypticnomad43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 10:39 PM   #2
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Which slides retract and which don't? The override depends on whether they are hydraulic, cable or Schwintek driven. Which do you have?

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 06:15 AM   #3
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
Download the Lippert NOW app from Google play store. Lots of good info, manuals, troubleshooting etc.
Lippert also has excellent help desk support.
Phone: 574-537-8900
Email: customerservice@Lci1.com
Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 06:34 AM   #4
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
Quite possible the 3 not retracting are Schwintek and each will have a dedicated switch to extend/retract located in the main control panel inside. They should be done 1 at a time and once movement starts don't stop until it stops moving COMPLETELY.

Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 09:36 AM   #5
PhilandRudee
Established Member

M.O.C. #25562
looked at a sales video for your floor plan (2018 model in video) and some of the slideouts were electric/cable and the others were hydrolic slideouts. My 2012 3750FL is similar. Mine has individual switches for the electric/cable slideouts and one single switch for the three hydrolic ones. All of mine are located in the convenance center inside the RV and there are switch valves for the hydrolic ones outside below the auto level controls. These are there so you can shut off each individual hydrolic slideouts if you want.
PhilandRudee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 12:33 PM   #6
phillyg
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17801
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeBeFulltime View Post
...... and once movement starts don't stop until it stops moving COMPLETELY.
And, hold the switch an additional six seconds after the slide stops moving, which keeps and/or allows the motors to sync. You might hear a bit of noise, but it's normal.
phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 04:26 AM   #7
Crypticnomad43

M.O.C. #28918
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl n Susan View Post
Which slides retract and which don't? The override depends on whether they are hydraulic, cable or Schwintek driven. Which do you have?
The slide outs that are stuck are hydraulic with a pinion and teeth to move. I am almost positive these are Lippert. The other slide outs are 1 cable and the other electric or Schwintek which are functional.
Crypticnomad43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 06:41 AM   #8
phillyg
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17801
If you're not hearing the pump, look for a blown circuit breaker or loose wire. If the pump works and since none of the hydraulic slides operate, and you didn't reset the individual controls at the Lippert panel, you may have a leak in the hydraulic system. It probably shares the pump for the levelers so they may become affected, too. Add fluid if necessary, and operate each slide individually, and if they work, its back to looking for hydraulic leaks.
phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 12:11 PM   #9
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
OK so you have a hydraulic system. Do you also have the Level Up system? Does it work?

As phillyg wrote above, the first question is "Can you hear the pump run?"
No - there is an electrical problem.
Yes - there is a hydraulic problem.

Hydraulic Problem
  • Is the tank full of fluid?
  • Is there a noticeable pool of hydraulic fluid leaking from under the RV?
  • Are the valves, located under the Level Up display panel, rotated fully CCW? (i.e. open)
Electrical Problem
  • Verify 12V power to both sides of both 50 amp self resetting circuit breakers (behind batteries).
  • Verify 12V power at the Revering Solenoid (Trombetta Valve).
  • Is there power to the small 12V wires at the revering Solenoid? These are activated by the switch - one for each direction.
One last question. Does your rig have the remote control system for the slides,, jacks, awning, lights?? The remote control brain (located on the back wall of the battery compartment) has a history of "locking out" the mechanical switches. Read this Thread for an explanation of the cure.
https://www.montanaowners.com/forums...ad.php?t=46515

P.S. It helps considerably if you set up your Signature, or at least mention, the year and model of your Montana. It will reduce the amount of guessing when trying to answer a question.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 09:01 PM   #10
E Rod
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21551
Make sure you have a good battery to begin. A bad battery will cause problems even if plugged in

2021 F350 DRW Long Bed 6.7 Diesel Lariat Ultimate
E Rod is offline   Reply With Quote