Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > On the Road Again
Click Here to Login

Old 04-21-2024, 03:17 PM   #1
Lhinkle114
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #25520
Traveling with a Second Vehicle Worth It?

We just came in position of a good used Toyota Prius and am considering bringing it with us on our travels to use on sightseeing days rather than the using the truck. We currently have one ton that toes are fifth wheel and the idea would be to have my wife drive the other vehicle behind us as we travel. Has anyone ever ever done this? If so, is it worth it or will it be more of a pain in the ass than it’s worth? I have to figure things on the vehicle the extra we are using and how that balances.

Lhinkle114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2024, 03:35 PM   #2
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
One thing to remember, some (a lot?) of campgrounds don't have much extra space for extra vehicles. Case in point, I am staying at a CG in Jackson, Wy this summer. I think even the tow vehicle has to be parked out on the street in front of the CG.

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2024, 04:23 PM   #3
jsb5717
Montana Master

M.O.C. #23668
It’s hard to say whether or not there would be a cost benefit for you to use 2 vehicles in your travels. I suppose it depends on how long you stay in one place so the truck is parked enough time for the $$$ to pan out.

Either way we wouldn’t even consider it. One of the reasons we prefer a 5th wheel over a motor home is so we always have a vehicle available. I simply don’t like the idea of hauling 2 motored vehicles around everywhere we go…which is why we don’t have a motor home. What you’re suggesting totally negates the reason for having a 5th wheel in the first place. Then there’s all the travel time apart, double the risk exposure on the road, and so on.

Only you can decide if it’s worth doing what you’re suggesting. If it is then sell the 5er, buy a MH and haul a toad.

For us it’s a hard “no” but everyone needs to decide for themselves how they like to travel. YMMV.
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2024, 06:30 PM   #4
Ram Montana High Country
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19944
You loose your navigator doing that. Not to mention the second motor to maintain.

Only you can make that call.

Buy and MDT or HDT and load car behind cab cross ways
Ram Montana High Country is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2024, 08:04 PM   #5
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
We often drive a second vehicle. My wife prefers not to drive the truck and I prefer not to be her chauffeur. We tend to stay in the same place for awhile so it works well.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2024, 08:28 PM   #6
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
As full timers, Larry, you may get the use out of it. It’s a pretty simple math problem. We take two vehicles when we are UTVing in the mountains.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2024, 12:49 AM   #7
Camp-a-Palooza
Established Member

M.O.C. #32726
For cost savings it doesn't compute, but for convenience we think it's worth it. Wife drives behind and regularly lets me know what's going on. When we get there its much easier to go into town and not have to worry about finding parking for the F350. So far we haven't had any issues with parking the extra vehicle at the camp grounds.
Camp-a-Palooza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2024, 09:29 AM   #8
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
I think, the longer one stays put in one spot, the more beneficial it would be to have the second vehicle, provided that second vehicle is a good, economical one.

However, if you travel and switch from campsite to campsite often, or travel with no schedule, or travel where the wind blows, then a second vehicle (of any kind), would be a burden more than a blessing.

Only you can weigh the costs of driving both vs just the tow vehicle only. Those costs are more than just the price of fuel, you know? That price includes the ease or difficulty of using your tow vehicle for everything.
Weigh that, opposed to a smaller run-around vehicle that will enable you to park in smaller parking spots and the maneuverability in traffic and city congestion. Plus the comfort knowing if you have mechanical problems with one vehicle you have a second vehicle to keep you mobile.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2024, 07:54 AM   #9
Lhinkle114
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #25520
Thank you for all your help. We still don’t know what we’re gonna do with the second car we may give it a go and worst case scenario we can always sell it.
Lhinkle114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2024, 09:11 AM   #10
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
We're Snow Birds between Central Florida and Western New York. Eight years ago we bought a Sedan (Chevy Mailbu) to get around in as where we spend the Winter many of the streets are narrow and was always worried about hitting the Hips of the TV on mail boxes. So for 8 years we went back and forth with both Car and RV. On the open Highway the car averages 40 MPG so cost for fuel wasn't bad and never had an issue parking the car on our stops. Worked for us and didn't have to use the Dually for daily trips.
Old 04-23-2024, 09:38 AM   #11
LeftOverParts
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #32230
Sounds like a possible solution for when the d in DW = Denagn ;-)
LeftOverParts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2024, 02:56 PM   #12
Kfinnert
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #32153
I agree with the comments here. My wife and I have taken two vehicles on VERY RARE occasions, but there was a need. Such as she had a commitment in one location and I in another; and neither was close enough to walk or bike. Or she was returning home before me.

The downside with her being in another vehicle is that I lose my company while we are on the road, my second set of eyes and the back-up to my navigation system! And together we make some darn good decisions on the fly whereas, if she were in another vehicle I could be committed to a course of action or direction that I would come to regret!

One final thought, as mentioned above, is a storage location for the second vehicle. Most locations we frequent do not permit a second vehicle at the site, and some do not permit the vehicle to be parked in the park due to space restrictions!

Best of luck...
Kfinnert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2024, 04:29 PM   #13
TomCat
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #22648
If it’s strictly a cost decision then no, not worth it. But it sounds like more than that. As others have mentioned, it can be worthwhile to have a “regular” car. We got a fifth wheel instead of a Class A for the very reason we have our commuter vehicle when we unhook. DW does not like to drive the one ton, and wants a car to drive around on our winter trips south. So next year she will be driving the car down. To each their own.
TomCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2024, 06:48 PM   #14
bshgto
Montana Master

M.O.C. #16013
no 3rd a/c..... Mini split

I would rather have the wife navigating and clearing the right lane for me so I can concentrate on driving and dodging the pinheads trying to get around us. Can`t believe the a--holes on the road now around any town of size.
One said if your not in the left lane tailgating your not driving fast enough so get out of the way. I`ll keep my wife with me.
F350 Ford Dually 4:10`s w/bags (payload 5595 lbs) Sumo Springs 63 gal aux tank
Reese Goosebox Mor/Ryde SRE 4000 X Factors Monroe shocks.... real smooth ride
bshgto is offline   Reply With Quote