Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Brrr it's cold outside! Winter Camping
Click Here to Login

Old 01-17-2022, 11:23 AM   #1
R.S.O'Donnell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25842
Using The "Fourth Season" Of Our Rig

Got hit by the big snowstorm in western NC. The old girl is performing well. Cozy inside and beautiful outside.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	271980416_1838844226505585_4376404595230778190_n.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	510.4 KB
ID:	10976  

R.S.O'Donnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 11:31 AM   #2
Travelin’ Gran
Established Member

M.O.C. #22014
Wow! To what extents are you hooked up? How are you protecting things?
Travelin’ Gran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 12:01 PM   #3
R.S.O'Donnell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25842
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelin’ Gran View Post
Wow! To what extents are you hooked up? How are you protecting things?
Just plugged into the pedestal and running off the fresh water tank filling when it's at or above freezing then disconnecting and draining the hose throughly. We have a composting toilet so there is no issue with managing a black tank.

We're full timers so some time ago I went to great lengths to seal up the underbelly including temporary plugs around the hydraulic cylinders.

Even in the teens it stays above freezing all the way back by the fresh water tank. Furnace is set at 70 during the day and 55 at night. Averaging a tank of propane every week or so. Longer when it's warmer and sunny a little less when it's in the teens at night overcast during the day.

I also added a vent leading to the water heater/furnace compartment to help keep temperatures equalized between the furnace cycling on. On the coldest nights I leave the pantry door ajar to help with air flow.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1590.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	202.6 KB
ID:	10978  
Old 01-17-2022, 12:06 PM   #4
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
We got the same storm. Looks like we got a little more snow than you did. Still pretty. I’m going to sit in the sunroom tomorrow and enjoy it.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 01:02 PM   #5
R.S.O'Donnell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25842
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh View Post
We got the same storm. Looks like we got a little more snow than you did. Still pretty. I’m going to sit in the sunroom tomorrow and enjoy it.
Lynwood
I set a ruler up on the picnic table. We only got 6".

We usually head west in the winter but decided to try out the Asheville area this year hoping for a snow. We honestly didn't expect to see much if any.
Old 01-17-2022, 03:41 PM   #6
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
We had the (hopefully) once in a lifetime Snowpacalypse in Texas last year Valentines day week with an inch or two black ice followed by 16” snow and several days of 10* or below temps - i have newfound total respect for those of you who live up north or in Canada where “its just another winter day”. You folks are tough!
Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 09:43 AM   #7
R.S.O'Donnell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25842
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikendebbie View Post
We had the (hopefully) once in a lifetime Snowpacalypse in Texas last year Valentines day week with an inch or two black ice followed by 16” snow and several days of 10* or below temps - i have newfound total respect for those of you who live up north or in Canada where “its just another winter day”. You folks are tough!
We've definitely had our "snow fix" for awhile. For the most part plans for next winter will be above freezing.

Spent last winter in Quartzite and while very comfortable we've also had our fix of the different "shades of brown" as my wife calls them.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_9838.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	266.1 KB
ID:	10993  
Old 01-23-2022, 07:35 PM   #8
JABURKHOLDER
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18572
Might I suggest some pool noodles or an air bladder between your slideout roof and slideout cover. Help with the sagging caused by the weight of the snow.
JABURKHOLDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 08:00 PM   #9
Drewman
Established Member

M.O.C. #28107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikendebbie View Post
I’m with you, complete respect for those who do it every year up north. Snowmageddon here in North Texas just outside of Dallas was not fun. Windchill here -16 for two nights in a row on the hill where I live in my fifth wheel. Montana did an amazing job, inside was always cozy between the electric fireplace and two small space heaters as I try to preserve propane. Thank goodness my RV park did not lose electricity like so many people around the Dallas metroplex did.
Old 01-24-2022, 09:14 AM   #10
R.S.O'Donnell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25842
Quote:
Originally Posted by JABURKHOLDER View Post
Might I suggest some pool noodles or an air bladder between your slideout roof and slideout cover. Help with the sagging caused by the weight of the snow.
I tried the triple stacked pyramid pool noodle route. They worked just OK to keep water from pooling. If not installed just right the water just pooled in front of or behind them. With water on top they were impossible to adjust. Plus the ones for the LR and Kitchen slides have to be made in two pieces to fit in the basement (we're full timers).

They didn't work at all for wind out west. They would either blow to one side or walk all the way out. I dumped them in Utah. Rope around the slide worked much better for wind. Just tight enough to pull the ends down so they didn't flap.

I've looked into bladders. There are the ones used to hold pool covers down but based on reviews their quality is sketchy.

https://www.amazon.com/Robelle-3809-...3040563&sr=8-4

I've got these on my list:

https://www.rossrvinnovations.info/s...upport-system/

A little pricey but I'm thinking this may be one of those "buy the best and only cry once" situations.