Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 03-19-2022, 12:52 PM   #21
wed
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8174
They are fine for all that I have read

2020 3931 FB Legacy
wed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2022, 05:19 AM   #22
suny07
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21337
Hi,

On my 4th set - but I change early around 30-35k mls to have good thread in rain.

Mike

Montana 3123RL Legacy 'Boon-docking Edition'
RAM 3500 Mega Cab Cummins Diesel DRW
suny07 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2022, 04:33 PM   #23
bcrvman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26399
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSFORD99 View Post
Any thoughts on these tires , thought I would try a set of Coopers . Toyo's treated pretty well, although thought I would get a bit more mileage than I did. After two sets of tires on this 2014 Ram , it s seems it's a bit tough on tires then other trucks I have had . OE's were done at 28K , These Toyo's are nearly done at 35K

I rotated both sets religiously at 5K. Both sets wore down very evenly on all four .
My tires get changed between 5 and 6 years. They will still have tread left, but blowouts happen due to age more than anything. I use Continentals and they are commercial size and rating.
3,000 watt hybrid inverter with 120A charger
bcrvman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2022, 04:37 PM   #24
dfb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17163
We always have had good luck , wear, quiet, smooth ride with Coopers...
dfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2022, 08:13 PM   #25
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrvman View Post
My tires get changed between 5 and 6 years. They will still have tread left, but blowouts happen due to age more than anything. I use Continentals and they are commercial size and rating.
That’s part of what I was facing , the Toyo’s were 5 years old , if not I may have run them a bit longer .
PSFORD99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2022, 09:52 AM   #26
Eagleback
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15731
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSFORD99 View Post
I am a fan of the Sailun tire ,run them on my fifth wheel.

Had a friend run the Sailun AT's on his truck, he said they were wearing very fast.
I considered them ,but for what little savings ,and have to believe Coopers are the better tire . And the real bonus is the Cooper is made in the US. IMO there is no real good choice for a better RV tire than Sailun, but just not true as far as truck tires go, no need to be buying Chinese.
I have over 45000 on them and still going strong. I guess i made a mistake.
2017, 3500 Ram Big Horn, 4x4, Crew Cab, DRW, Aisin Transmission, 4:10. Curt Q20, 2014 Mountaineer 331 RLT, Sailun's on the rv and truck.
Eagleback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2022, 11:18 AM   #27
Gubs
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #27658
Well I hope Coopers are the way to go, my dad always used them. I've ran with Michelins and Bridgestones for many years and always thought I should be getting a bit more mileage since they are NOT cheap tires! This time I went with the Coopers and hopefully I will get a few more miles with these. I drive a 2019 F-350 4x4 short bed 6.7L diesel with a 18K BW slider hitch.

Larry & Marilyn Gubbels
2019 F-350 Diesel 4X4, Short Bed, BW 18K slider,
closely followed by a 2020 Montana 3121RL
Gubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2022, 11:28 AM   #28
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagleback View Post
I have over 45000 on them and still going strong. I guess i made a mistake.

I believe you missed my point . As said had a friend run them on his ford Superduty , he is a full timer , tows a lot . He said he wouldn't get another set ,they wore out a lot quicker then other brands he's had.

I buy Sailun S637's for my fifth wheel .I refuse to pay nearly double for a tire that is arguably inferior to the S637's that are US made ,if they had the track record of a Sailun , and were even somewhere close to the price , Sailun WOULD NOT be my choice .

My point , I can buy US made tires for my truck , many brands. Arguably much better tires than a Chinese made Sailun. Plus the price is no where near double . Its an easy choice for ME .

45K on a set of AT 5 rib tires on a tow vehicle is nearly unheard of good for you, I would certainly stick to the Chinese tire . I have never experienced that kind of mileage on any AT tire .
Old 03-21-2022, 11:35 AM   #29
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gubs View Post
Well I hope Coopers are the way to go, my dad always used them. I've ran with Michelins and Bridgestones for many years and always thought I should be getting a bit more mileage since they are NOT cheap tires! This time I went with the Coopers and hopefully I will get a few more miles with these. I drive a 2019 F-350 4x4 short bed 6.7L diesel with a 18K BW slider hitch.
I really don't have any illusions on the Coopers gettin a whole better then the Toyo's , they are the same 5 rib AT tire .

From what I hear the Ram trucks are a little tough on tires ,I am seeing that . Realistically if I get 40K out of the Coopers ,I think I will be doing good . They do have a 65K mileage warranty ,we will see how it goes .

I am always amazed at hearing the mileage I hear out of some running AT tires , I know lots of people that RV ,and their experience with tires are mostly inline with what I am getting .
Old 03-21-2022, 03:24 PM   #30
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
Always been a big Michelin fan, but My Ram seemed to eat these tires. Factory Michelin highway tires got almost 43K before replacing with Michelin LTX M/S. Only got 35K out of them. Michelin made a very generous 50% allowance on a new set since they fell so short of their 60k warranty. Only got 32K out of them. Michelin working with my tire shop made another 35% allowance towards a new set but informed me and the shop owner this would be their last adjustment for this truck. I don't remember if it was him or Michelin that said Rams just seem to be hard on tires. Got 38K out of them and switched to Sailun. Only have 20K on them. They seem to be wearing well but they are noisier than the Michelins but ride about the same.
Old 04-24-2022, 03:58 PM   #31
Old Okie
Established Member

M.O.C. #23890
I recently replaced the original Michelin LTX A/T 2's on my 2015 Chevrolet 2500HD with a set of these Coopers. I wanted a little more off-road capability while keeping a quiet ride (and they cost considerably less). I only have 3-4000 miles on them, but so far, I'm completely satisfied. They're as quiet as the Michelins and ride great. Haven't tried them off-road, except for a little loose sand down at S. Padre Island, no problem. Recently ran them through an ultra-heavy rainstorm, with no hint of hydroplaning. Hard to tell, but they may have cut down on the fuel mileage a bit. I wouldn't be surprised as aggressive as these things look beside the Michelins! About the same mpg with the 5th wheel on, but truck seems to get a couple of mpg less running empty at highway speeds--or I may have had more headwind on average!
Old Okie is offline   Reply With Quote