Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MONTANA OWNERS CLUB COMMUNITY > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 06-01-2022, 09:10 PM   #1
caplanner

M.O.C. #31108
New member from central CA

Hello everybody!

My wife and I are a couple of seasons away from retiring and planning to spend the first part of our retirement fulltime in an RV. I've been doing what I think is a lot of research and our current plans are to get a Montana 5th wheel. Our current plan is to look for a used one - there are so many different models but we have a general idea what configuration we would like to have:
30' - 40'
one bedroom
washer and dryer
kitchen island
no carpet, newer layout configuration (maybe 2018 or newer)

The challenge is narrowing down the specific model, but because they share most of the features (it seems), our decision may come down to cost and condition of the rv.

I would like to have a bench dinette but I'm not sure I've seen those. Having said that, if the price and condition is right, we could replace it I suppose.

We had a travel trailer when the kids were little - married and out of the home now with grandkids - so we are experienced rv campers.

We are thinking the larger rv will be more comfortable if we are living in it fulltime.

Looking forward to learning more about the Montana's to help us make our decision.

caplanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 09:32 PM   #2
Champ
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #20905
Hello and welcome to the group. We have a 2018 3120. It's 35 feet long and I would not want to full time in it. It works great for our weekend trips and occasional extended vacation but if we were to full time, the bigger the better.

2018 Montana 3120RL
2017 Ford F-350
Champ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 09:44 PM   #3
caplanner

M.O.C. #31108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Champ View Post
Hello and welcome to the group. We have a 2018 3120. It's 35 feet long and I would not want to full time in it. It works great for our weekend trips and occasional extended vacation but if we were to full time, the bigger the better.
I appreciate the feedback - we are trying to find the balance between space and being able to get in most spaces in national and state parks. And the cost and mileage of a larger tow vehicle. Having said that, my goal is to make sure we have as much room as we can get as we transition from a 3 bedroom and office in a 2100sf house.
Old 06-02-2022, 05:31 AM   #4
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Welcome to the forums and good luck and good success on your decision making process to purchase a camper. The best advise I can give you, is to purchase the camper at least a year before you plan on hitting the road full time. New or used, it does not matter. You'll need that year to flush out any problems. It's easier to fix things sitting in YOUR driveway than on the road.

Second, it give you a learning curve over the year to truly understand your, new to you, camper. To be 100% familiar with all the systems: heat, air conditioning, electricity both AC and DC, fresh water, and black and grey holding tanks. It will also give you an opportunity to learn how to camp in all 4 seasons of the year so you'll know what to expect and can prepare for it before you find yourself in zero degree weather with frozen pipes and no where to go for help.

So, over that year, travel locally, every week-end you get a chance and 2 week vacation trips to experience a longer term camp-out. Plan on camping at a Private Campground, a State Park Campground, a National Park campground, try a boomdock over night at a Wall Mart (for the experience), and try this during different times of the year. All of this is a learning experience, preparing you for when you are on the road and will have no stick n brick home to return to. It will help you better equip your camper, knowing what you really need, eliminate the stuff you don't need, and streamline your experience when you do hit the road.

This is my best advise. The choice of camper is yours. I am at a private campground right and and there is a fellow and his wife camped here, right now, who has been camped here, full time ... believe it or not ... in a pop-up. He's explained to me how preps his pop-up for the winter, deals with no water because this campground is in frozen Indiana beginning Nov 1 through April 1, and the shower house is locked shut. All of this in a pop-up tent camper. He and his wife are happy as two peas in a pod.

So, the size of your camper is not so important. It's really how you learn to use it. And that takes some time to figure it out. Thus, the reason for the year of prepping.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 01:06 PM   #5
caplanner

M.O.C. #31108
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchmenSport View Post
Welcome to the forums and good luck and good success on your decision making process to purchase a camper. The best advise I can give you, is to purchase the camper at least a year before you plan on hitting the road full time. New or used, it does not matter. You'll need that year to flush out any problems. It's easier to fix things sitting in YOUR driveway than on the road.

Second, it give you a learning curve over the year to truly understand your, new to you, camper. To be 100% familiar with all the systems: heat, air conditioning, electricity both AC and DC, fresh water, and black and grey holding tanks. It will also give you an opportunity to learn how to camp in all 4 seasons of the year so you'll know what to expect and can prepare for it before you find yourself in zero degree weather with frozen pipes and no where to go for help.

So, over that year, travel locally, every week-end you get a chance and 2 week vacation trips to experience a longer term camp-out. Plan on camping at a Private Campground, a State Park Campground, a National Park campground, try a boomdock over night at a Wall Mart (for the experience), and try this during different times of the year. All of this is a learning experience, preparing you for when you are on the road and will have no stick n brick home to return to. It will help you better equip your camper, knowing what you really need, eliminate the stuff you don't need, and streamline your experience when you do hit the road.

This is my best advise. The choice of camper is yours. I am at a private campground right and and there is a fellow and his wife camped here, right now, who has been camped here, full time ... believe it or not ... in a pop-up. He's explained to me how preps his pop-up for the winter, deals with no water because this campground is in frozen Indiana beginning Nov 1 through April 1, and the shower house is locked shut. All of this in a pop-up tent camper. He and his wife are happy as two peas in a pod.

So, the size of your camper is not so important. It's really how you learn to use it. And that takes some time to figure it out. Thus, the reason for the year of prepping.
Thank you for the recommendations Dutchmen!

funny about the pop-up trailer. That's how my family camped when I was a kid at home - 5 kids and our parents in a Coleman tent trailer....

I know you weren't suggesting that for us but my wife would abandon me if we did that....

I was thinking about the timing of our purchase but wasn't thinking about a year in advance - but I do like the idea and don't think that would be a problem for us. I'll probably be retired for a full year (maybe 2) before we hit the road fulltime.

Thanks again.

Mark
Old 06-02-2022, 01:55 PM   #6
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Welcome to the forum! Our 2010 had booth seating, but we got a deal on it because booth's "weren't popular". Both of our current Monty's have table and chairs, but we are planning on putting a booth back in at least one of them someday. Up till now something has always needed the money before we got that done.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 05:02 PM   #7
caplanner

M.O.C. #31108
Quote:
Originally Posted by DQDick View Post
Welcome to the forum! Our 2010 had booth seating, but we got a deal on it because booth's "weren't popular". Both of our current Monty's have table and chairs, but we are planning on putting a booth back in at least one of them someday. Up till now something has always needed the money before we got that done.
I prefer the booth so I can put my feet up when lounging around. It just seems more comfortable to me.
Old 06-02-2022, 10:04 PM   #8
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
That's where we started our full time RV adventure 10 years ago. Sold our house and hit the road. We are still in our Montana 3402RL, which they don't make any more. Ours had the table with four chairs for dining, which we rarely used. Finally, several years ago, we removed the table and have a restored old buffet in it's place under the window. If we aren't outside, we usually eat in our recliners in the livingroom. The father-in-law had a TT with a booth, and he never used it either, extremely uncomfortable to sit in. Good luck on your journey.
rohrmann is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 01:39 PM   #9
Camp CA
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25828
Quote:
Originally Posted by caplanner View Post
..............Looking forward to learning more about the Montana's to help us make our decision.
The newer Montana fifth wheel trailers are loaded (solar, inverter, 2 AC's with the living room one a heat pump, digital tv antenna, wifi router, G rated tires, etc.), solid, good quality and good value for money in my experience. This is our second Montana and we are very happy with it. We added a directv satellite, stacked washer/dryer, camera, keyless entry door lock, bathroom motion detector lights and portable propane generator. Ours did not come with slide out toppers but sure wished I had them. If you plan to boondock a propane generator would be convenient.
Old 06-08-2022, 01:43 PM   #10
Donjamin
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22148
Send a message via Skype™ to Donjamin
Welcome to the forum from Fullerton, CA. Happy travels!

Don & Laurie
2015 Ford F-250 SD 4X4
Donjamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 01:58 PM   #11
CaptnJohn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19865
We tried long time, not full time in a 34’ 5er. Got cramped in about 2 weeks. Went to a 43’ Montana and it was great. Finally downsized — last 2 have been right at 41’.
Long time or full time storage is just as important. Our last was the front living with tons of storage. The current is the bonus room model and miss all that outside storage.
A stackable washer and dryer is a must! Make sure you have space, forget combos!
We are generally on the road 6-8 months annually.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 03:14 PM   #12
caplanner

M.O.C. #31108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camp CA View Post
The newer Montana fifth wheel trailers are loaded (solar, inverter, 2 AC's with the living room one a heat pump, digital tv antenna, wifi router, G rated tires, etc.), solid, good quality and good value for money in my experience. This is our second Montana and we are very happy with it. We added a directv satellite, stacked washer/dryer, camera, keyless entry door lock, bathroom motion detector lights and portable propane generator. Ours did not come with slide out toppers but sure wished I had them. If you plan to boondock a propane generator would be convenient.
Thank you Camp

Yes, the newer models seem to have it all. I think that's why we are leaning towards a newer (2018 or newer maybe) model. It is finally sinking in regarding the difference between an RL and FL. I like the FL floorplan the best, I think, because there's more separation between the kitchen and living room.

But I like the island in the RL.
Old 06-08-2022, 03:23 PM   #13
caplanner

M.O.C. #31108
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnJohn View Post
We tried long time, not full time in a 34’ 5er. Got cramped in about 2 weeks. Went to a 43’ Montana and it was great. Finally downsized — last 2 have been right at 41’.
Long time or full time storage is just as important. Our last was the front living with tons of storage. The current is the bonus room model and miss all that outside storage.
A stackable washer and dryer is a must! Make sure you have space, forget combos!
We are generally on the road 6-8 months annually.
Thanks CaptnJohn

Not stressing over it anymore but still thinking about what our sweet spot will be as far as length. Yes, carry capacity will be important as well as a washer/dryer if we go long time / full time. I saw a video from RV Nerd, I think is name is Josh, for a Cougar trailer that now has a washer/dryer and a pretty cool floor plan. Less weight but even that is 37' long.

I'll share that the more we look at interest rates for houses we might be keeping the house and do more long trips. I can't imagine giving up a low interest rate for something two or three times that when we want to stop full time rv'ing. It's hot in Fresno in the summer so maybe we just escape to the north for a couple of months starting in June but keep the house as a home base. Then escape again in the foggy months for the desert/south.
Old 06-08-2022, 05:00 PM   #14
CaptnJohn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19865
Quote:
Originally Posted by caplanner View Post
Thanks CaptnJohn

Not stressing over it anymore but still thinking about what our sweet spot will be as far as length. Yes, carry capacity will be important as well as a washer/dryer if we go long time / full time. I saw a video from RV Nerd, I think is name is Josh, for a Cougar trailer that now has a washer/dryer and a pretty cool floor plan. Less weight but even that is 37' long.

I'll share that the more we look at interest rates for houses we might be keeping the house and do more long trips. I can't imagine giving up a low interest rate for something two or three times that when we want to stop full time rv'ing. It's hot in Fresno in the summer so maybe we just escape to the north for a couple of months starting in June but keep the house as a home base. Then escape again in the foggy months for the desert/south.
We are on the SE coast of NC. We rarely see snow for more than a few hours once every year or 2. We stay home at the beach during the crowd season and go warmer in winter. Remember the Jimmy B song, I gotta go where the weather suits my clothes? We finally gave up on 3 or 4 months in South Florida. It’s been over run in winter. It was best when almost everywhere was closed for covid. I will miss my winter gun club but nothing else. This winter will be Alabama coast and will search the military CGs in the area for farther out to winter. Besides, at 74 and some health issues who knows how much longer.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 07:39 PM   #15
Lee-CI
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30262
We've been part timing in ours as much as possible since last December. It is just over 37' long and we both think this will truly work for us and our needs when the full time day finally arrives. The DW has yet to figure out a third of her cabinets are still empty and I'm dreading the day that she discovers that little tidbit of info. I get all of the basement storage, which will likely become my "dog house" one of these days...
Best of luck to your endeavors and choices, and happy camping to come!
Lee-CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 09:16 PM   #16
caplanner

M.O.C. #31108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee-CI View Post
We've been part timing in ours as much as possible since last December. It is just over 37' long and we both think this will truly work for us and our needs when the full time day finally arrives. The DW has yet to figure out a third of her cabinets are still empty and I'm dreading the day that she discovers that little tidbit of info. I get all of the basement storage, which will likely become my "dog house" one of these days...
Best of luck to your endeavors and choices, and happy camping to come!
Thank you Lee

My problem is trying to get my head wrapped around squeezing a 2100sf house into a 35' 5th wheel. I've been reading a lot online and it's a common theme that people take too much stuff they don't use.

I know what you mean about the "dog house". I stepped in it the other day and my DW said "it's a good thing we aren't living in a camper!".
Old 06-09-2022, 07:16 AM   #17
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Caplanner, congratulations on your upcoming retirement and full time lifestyle. We are currently in our 4th Montana and have been MOC members since 2004. We spend about 6 months a year in ours. I do not even look at other brands. We have 30,000 reasons to stick with Montana’s. Even people who go SOB’s (Some Other Brand) stay here. We have seen the development of Montana’s that didn’t even include an outlet in the basement. You did not mention your travel plans. Are you going to be strictly at RV parks or are you going to save money by boondocking? Our current 2021 3230CK has the Super Solar system and RV refrigerator to facilitate Boondocking. At 37’, it maybe a little short for full timing. Look at lots of models and determine how you will use it and where things will go. We sat in a 3230 at Camping World for two hours and discussed where we would put everything from broom, appliances, dog food, leashes, food, clothes, etc. One thing to discuss is where will you get it serviced? Huge deal for a full timer. RV’s are not like cars. You can’t just pull into a dealer and get service. Most dealers prioritize their customers first. Our dealer, Leach Camper in Council Bluffs, Iowa was recommended by a number of members. We make an appointment, they order the parts, we drive the 500 miles on one of our trips to the Midwest, pull-in the morning of the appointment and leave after it’s fixed. If they can’t finish it that day, they have hookups to stay overnight. Also, don’t forget the tow vehicle. A 40’ plus Montana requires at least a one ton, probably with duallies. A few other things to consider. 2022 models started coming with 200 watt solar standard. For a slight premium you can get a 400 watt system. Also, the newer Legacy models come with disk brakes - a huge improvement. As for the dinette, we took out the chair and I built a bench. One side has a chair, the side with the bench is also where all things dog (food, treats, collars, chargers, etc) go. So we have the benefit of a dinette with the ability to bring another chair in and seat 4. You will get lots of opinions here. Choose what works best for you and enjoy the lifestyle.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2022, 09:28 AM   #18
Leftie Canuk
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23585
Congrats on planning for the big event. A lot of folks just jump into it, and then struggle with the implications of FT living in an RV.
One comment on the dining area configuration: we sold off the table and four chairs, and found a beautiful gate leg table. I anchored it to the floor with some foot locker latches, with one leaf dropped and next to the window. The other leaf is latched for travel, but left "up" while parked. The gate leg table will seat 6 comfortably when both leaves are up and it is moved to the living area. Bottom line: gate leg tables are very versatile, need little space, and can often be found in the Used Furniture ads, at bargain prices.
Leftie Canuk is offline   Reply With Quote