Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Solar, Charging Systems, Batteries and Electrical
Click Here to Login

Old 06-11-2022, 05:37 PM   #1
tjblocker
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #23122
TV satellite problems in new 3231CK

About 10 days ago I purchased a new Montana 3231CK. Prior to taking delivery I ordered a Trav'ler satellite and asked the dealer to do the install.

On the day of delivery the service department reported having trouble getting satellite locks. Late in the day they reported to me that it works in the bedroom and that it was safe to assume that it would also work in the living room. Take it home and connect it to the living room TV they say. It will just work..... NOT!

So we took delivery only to discover that there was no signal on living room TV. It took four days for the service department to get the satellite to work in the living room. However, the service tech refused to listen when we told him that we wanted TV in the living room and that we did not care about the bedroom TV. The service tech insisted on working in the bedroom for two of those four days.

To make it work they had to run brand new cable from the satellite to the receiver in the living room. This is one piece of cable having no splitters or any other hardware.

They blamed all of the problems on splitters in the factory cabling and some system that I'd not heard of. And they blamed it on a new system having to do with keystone TVs support.

If while buying a new Montana you decide to install a Winegard Trav'ler dish, expect to have problems with the factory cabling. I was told that the trouble was due to something new that Keystone was doing.

B&W puck system hitch
tjblocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 07:47 PM   #2
Arkware
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17723
It is interesting that it works in the bedroom and yet the "tech" blames Keystone.
I'm thinking the system is new and the "tech" doesn't know how to troubleshoot it.

I had a similar issue with my satellite and found, through troubleshooting, that the dyplexer, in the wall plate behind the TV was bad. Moved the one from the bedroom to the living room and all was good.

Loose connections could also be an issue. So far, I have not found any splitters and only one barrel connection in the cable that runs between the Keytv and the living room TV.

Does your on-air antenna work in the living room?
2015 F350 XLT Crew Dually 20K B&W Companion
Arkware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 06:31 AM   #3
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Your problem is pretty common across several brands of RV's. Most satellite dishes don't work well with splitters or cheap coax. Power to the satellite runs thru the coax and cheap low end splitters interfere with that voltage. Perhaps someday the RV manufacturers will address this issue. Doing a search about "satellite issues", you'll find several of us have ran a dedicated cable to get our satellites to work.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 07:53 AM   #4
tjblocker
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #23122
I asked the tech if it would work, and he told me that it would. Said everything was in its original condition except that there is one new cable for the satellite. But it's something I will have to test. It is a good question.
B&W puck system hitch
tjblocker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
3231ck, satellite, tv signal