Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 06-12-2022, 10:23 PM   #1
brisam
Established Member

M.O.C. #20870
Hydraulic cylinders

On our living room slide out, the hydraulic cylinder has a small oil leak at the end seal. Everything I read as well as discussing this with Lippert says I need to replace the cylinder with a new one. On looking closer at the seal end, there is a spring clip which indicates to me that the seal should be able to be replaced. Has anyone had the seal replaced instead of purchasing a new cylinder. Our unit is a 2014 3402RL.

brisam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2022, 03:53 AM   #2
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
I've read of others that had the cylinders rebuilt at a hydraulic shop if they can find the seals, so it is possible. I had ours replaced as it was still under warranty.
RMcNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2022, 06:14 AM   #3
ChuckS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20949
Quote:
Originally Posted by brisam View Post
On our living room slide out, the hydraulic cylinder has a small oil leak at the end seal. Everything I read as well as discussing this with Lippert says I need to replace the cylinder with a new one. On looking closer at the seal end, there is a spring clip which indicates to me that the seal should be able to be replaced. Has anyone had the seal replaced instead of purchasing a new cylinder. Our unit is a 2014 3402RL.
The end seal you see IS NOT where the leak is coming from.. All that does is function as a wiper seal for dirt and dust.. nothing more.. The actual seals are inside and YES.. the end of the cylinder screws off and if you have a decent hydraulic shop they can rebuild it or you can DIY if you have the time to hunt down the seals
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2022, 06:57 AM   #4
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
Hyd jack repair with pictures on Facebook
Keystone Montana RV Owners Group
Search for
Lippert Level up leak repair
By Ken Anderson August 26 2019
https://www.facebook.com/groups/2740...2921538431587/

Hydraulic Plug and cap Size for the JIC37 fittings to cap them off

3404C-04 Cap
2408-04 Plug
Size is 1/4 Inch for cap and plug
Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2022, 09:02 AM   #5
Hblick48
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21903
I've had 2 of my cylinders rebuilt. Both work perfectly, no more. "Slide creep"
Hblick48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2022, 12:40 PM   #6
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
I really don't want to join a private group to watch a video even if it has part numbers listed ... over the years a limited few have posted that they have had their cylinders rebuilt yet no one has ever posted the part numbers for the seals for a given cylinder number. Is this "secret squirrel" stuff or was the information simply not given when you had the cylinder work done? Did anyone save the old seals for part numbers to be cross referenced? I've been a wrench spinner for decades and oddly have had no luck in sourcing seals for these cylinders. In fact, some cylinders in the 2015 timeframe had the cylinder end caps welded on making them non-serviceable.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2022, 12:58 PM   #7
Hblick48
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21903
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselguy View Post
I really don't want to join a private group to watch a video even if it has part numbers listed ... over the years a limited few have posted that they have had their cylinders rebuilt yet no one has ever posted the part numbers for the seals for a given cylinder number. Is this "secret squirrel" stuff or was the information simply not given when you had the cylinder work done? Did anyone save the old seals for part numbers to be cross referenced? I've been a wrench spinner for decades and oddly have had no luck in sourcing seals for these cylinders. In fact, some cylinders in the 2015 timeframe had the cylinder end caps welded on making them non-serviceable.
Didn't have part number for the seals. Hydraulic repair shop said the seals were "standard size" that they had in stock. Welding the end caps provides guaranteed income for the cylinder mfg.
Hblick48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2022, 02:20 PM   #8
Jetson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #180
I tried to get someone to rebuild mine. They said they didn't have the seals in stock, to go to a seal company, take my seals and have them matched. I did, they charged $15 extra for matching the seals. I rebuilt my own.
Jetson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2022, 10:25 PM   #9
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryles View Post
Hyd jack repair with pictures on Facebook
Keystone Montana RV Owners Group
Search for
Lippert Level up leak repair
By Ken Anderson August 26 2019
https://www.facebook.com/groups/2740...2921538431587/

Hydraulic Plug and cap Size for the JIC37 fittings to cap them off

3404C-04 Cap
2408-04 Plug
Size is 1/4 Inch for cap and plug
The link provided gets me to:

This content isn't available right now
When this happens, it's usually because the owner only shared it with a small group of people, changed who can see it or it's been deleted.

I assume this is a link to a Montana group (there are a bunch of them) that I am not a member of. I have no idea what "Montana" group it might be but I am pretty sure "Keystone Montana RV Owners Group" isn't it since a Search for that group on FB fails. There is a "Keystone RV Montana Owners" group with 398 members. I tried to join that one last year and was rejected without explanation. I am not a fan of FB to start (I really only have it to see what my kids and grand kids are doing). The proliferation of Montana related groups on FB results in valuable information being unavailable to those who might need it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselguy View Post
Hear, Hear! What are the seal numbers for those who may need them?

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2022, 06:20 AM   #10
ChuckS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20949
I am a member of that FB group and while the OP has nice pics there are no part numbers listed.... never have been

If and when I have a slide out cylinder fail ( and I am not wishing for one to fail ) I will take the end cap off "If I can" and get the part numbers for the cylinder and post here....

They should be the same because the only difference in slide cylinders is the length of travel

I have also looked many times for someone to list the part numbers for the front LG or mid/rear levelers and havent seen those either.... Those can be rebuilt provided the thing isnt scored to death on the inside
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2022, 01:54 PM   #11
glendodom
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22698
I recently pulled a cylinder and took to a local hydraulics shop and they did a total seal replacement and pressure test for $150. and it works great. Beats $650 all day long.
glendodom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2022, 02:48 PM   #12
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Thanks ChuckS ... if and when the time comes, please post what I and several others have asked for on more than one occasion. It's just odd to me that maybe a dozen or so have responded on more than one thread about slide cylinder repairs on the MOC. They all say they have had them repaired at a local shop, but not once did any of those replies contain any part numbers even after I directly asked for them. Maybe the repair shops don't want to give away info to risk loosing future business. You and I both know replacing probably 2 cup seals on the piston, a rod seal and a wiper is all there is to it ... barring any cylinder scoring like you mentioned. The piston seals might be an O-ring or two with backup rings instead of cup seals, but someday we'll honestly know. I'm not going to take one of mine apart just for seal numbers to cross reference ... Ha!
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2022, 03:01 PM   #13
daveinaz
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23256
I live near Phoenix and after checking around it was cheaper to buy a new cylinder for about 350 than to get it rebuilt around here
daveinaz is offline   Reply With Quote