Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 06-13-2022, 06:16 PM   #1
Kyle and Lisa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21685
The Who - I won't get fooled again !!!

With fuel prices the way they are, I got in a hurry with what was a good price at BP in Florida, I did not realize that their gas pump handles are green and put 5 gal. of gas in our diesel truck fuel tank, which are green in most states. Luckily we had almost a full tank of diesel. We immediately went to the nearest Ford dealership, 2.5 miles down the road and explained what had happened and shut the truck off. Bottom line it cost us $1056.00 to have the tank drained, bleed the injectors, and replace the fuel filters, and a rental car for the weekend. It could have been catastrophic if we had not took immediate action, and they gave us a military discount of $100.00 Thank you Lord, thank you Jesus, Amen.:face palm:

Kyle and Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2022, 06:22 PM   #2
MandK
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #28430
Yeah, common rail diesels aren’t as forgiving.
Retired from a career that had me working with and working on diesels my whole life. We used to cut the diesel 50% with Kero when it got cold out. Cut it 25% with gasoline when it got really cold. I love the old 8.3 mechanical Cummins diesels in my boat. They smoke a little when it’s chilly at first start up, but easy peasy and I can fix anything that needs fixing on them, without a computer.
MandK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2022, 06:38 PM   #3
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Yep I did that to. Pumped a tank of gasoline at Kroger. That is where I normally buy gas for my F150. About the time I finished my fill up it hit me so I called my independent garage they came and got my truck before I started it. A real o shucks moment. It got fixed no big deal.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2022, 04:32 AM   #4
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
That was always my biggest fear when I bought my first diesel truck. So far, I haven't done that, thank you Jesus. My biggest fear with the 5er was dropping the front on my truck bed rails. Still haven't done that one either, but my first outing with our rig, I heard a loud crash, and the guy in the site next to us did that to his truck. Opened the hitch, then decided to pull up a few feet to reach the sewer connection. Oops!
I hope I didn't just jinx myself.
RMcNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2022, 06:11 AM   #5
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
We travel across different states and when it comes to diesel, it seems every state is different. I pain-stakingly make sure I've got the right pump for diesel.

Indiana is about as confusing as it gets too, because there is "truck diesel" and "auto diesel". The truck diesel is exempt from tax that fuel is taxed a different way. So when pulling up to a diesel pump in a truck stop, you never know which pump is the right one. This is another reason why I never go to truck stops, especially in Indiana. I stick with normal gas stations and look for the "auto diesel" sign, even when maneuvering their bays is a challenge.

Yep, even at the pump itself you've got to be careful if you go by the color of the hose handle. And the E-85 mix and you now, you can NEVER let your guard down.

I'm glad you were able to get the matter resolved before any serious damage happened to your truck. It makes me wonder though ... someday, when we all have to plug our vehicles in to recharge them and there is no other choice, if someone in their infinite wisdom and greed will devise a way to convince the consumer that high test electricity is more expensive than low test electricity, or maybe charge a higher price for Kilowatt for a faster charge and less per Kilowatt for a slower charge? Who knows? And if you plug into the wrong one, you zap all your batteries!
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2022, 06:25 AM   #6
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
I've read recently that the quick charge vs. normal speed is already a thing at public charging stations. You can pay more and get a higher speed charge if it's worth it to you. I hope I don't live long enough to have to go to all electric.
Old 06-14-2022, 06:33 AM   #7
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Edit ... Delete. I wasn't nice!
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2022, 07:17 AM   #8
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
Agree...in the express lane too!
Old 06-14-2022, 08:53 AM   #9
traveldawg
Established Member

M.O.C. #20786
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle and Lisa View Post
With fuel prices the way they are, I got in a hurry with what was a good price at BP in Florida, I did not realize that their gas pump handles are green and put 5 gal. of gas in our diesel truck fuel tank, which are green in most states. Luckily we had almost a full tank of diesel. We immediately went to the nearest Ford dealership, 2.5 miles down the road and explained what had happened and shut the truck off. Bottom line it cost us $1056.00 to have the tank drained, bleed the injectors, and replace the fuel filters, and a rental car for the weekend. It could have been catastrophic if we had not took immediate action, and they gave us a military discount of $100.00 Thank you Lord, thank you Jesus, Amen.:face palm:
I did that once. Except I pretty much filled my diesel tank with gas and was ready to leave the gas station when I realized what happened. I had the truck towed to a dealership which was close fortunately and my brother-in-law came and towed the 5th wheel to his house where we stayed for a few days.

Pretty expensive fuel stop....! Now I triple check the hose and fuel selection button before pumping. Argh!!
traveldawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2022, 03:23 PM   #10
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
Just like you WHO put the wrong fuel in the tank - this happened to me also with my first diesel in 2005. I turned in my F150 company truck and started driving my personal truck. One day the weather was terrible and there was REIGN O’RE ME – so bad I could not SEE FOR MILES AND MILES, but I CAN’T EXPLAIN why I grabbed the unleaded nozzle at the company service yard pump. I put a couple of gallons in before I realized it was the wrong nozzle. I never tried to crank it. I went over to the company service garage and called on one of the mechanics – I was THE SEEKER of help. He drained the tank and put some diesel in, and it fired up! I asked him “How much do I owe you?” He said “Well, I’M FREE, and I said “I call that a BARGAIN!” He said “You KIDS ARE ALRIGHT!” I promised him I WON’T GET FOOLED AGAIN.

Slow day at work…
Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2022, 01:08 PM   #11
GLS3950
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18049
That's why I won't buy at BP. The closet station to me at home is BP and I have never bought fuel there being afraid of grabbing the wrond handle
GLS3950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2022, 01:19 PM   #12
CaptnJohn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19865
No gas pumps at truck lanes. Those big nozzles won’t fit in your gasser either
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2022, 03:06 PM   #13
Wheelhouse
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11462
You didn’t need to do the drain and flush for only 5 gallons.
I did that once with 5 gallons and my diesel mechanic said it would help the cylinders and cause no damage so long as I topped of the tank.
Did that never had any engine problems except for the fuel injectors on my 2003 Ford F-350. Ford converted the engine to diesel and was always changing the fuel injectors, and not because of the small amount of gas.
Sorry you didn’t know about that at the time
Wheelhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2022, 03:17 PM   #14
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikendebbie View Post
Just like you WHO put the wrong fuel in the tank - this happened to me also with my first diesel in 2005. I turned in my F150 company truck and started driving my personal truck. One day the weather was terrible and there was REIGN O’RE ME – so bad I could not SEE FOR MILES AND MILES, but I CAN’T EXPLAIN why I grabbed the unleaded nozzle at the company service yard pump. I put a couple of gallons in before I realized it was the wrong nozzle. I never tried to crank it. I went over to the company service garage and called on one of the mechanics – I was THE SEEKER of help. He drained the tank and put some diesel in, and it fired up! I asked him “How much do I owe you?” He said “Well, I’M FREE, and I said “I call that a BARGAIN!” He said “You KIDS ARE ALRIGHT!” I promised him I WON’T GET FOOLED AGAIN.

Slow day at work…
I meant to comment before - You REALLY went all out for this!!!! Well done!

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2022, 03:22 PM   #15
MGVenne
Established Member

M.O.C. #27469
My wife and I returned from a trip from Springfield, MO to Myrtle Beach and return. Somewhere along the way, we picked up some diesel fuel contaminated with water....a lot of water. Never lost power, but only got 8 mpg (usually average 11-12 mpg). My “water in fuel” warning light came on, but that it a cautionary light (yellow), not a red warning light. I just assumed I would change my water separator filter when I got home. I brought the Ram to my dealer to have some routine maintenance done, and check out the water in fuel issue. Well, the checked out the fuel problems and...the first question he asked me was “do you have full coverage on your insurance?” He said that I needed to replace the entire fuel system.....drum roll please....$26,800.00! After I regain consciousness, I called GEIGO to start a claim. Three days later the adjuster went to the dealership, did the inspection, and APPROVED the entire amount...all $26,800.00 worth, minus my $250.00 deductible. Truck should be done next week. The dealership has already received the check from GEICO.
2018 Ram 3500 dually
MGVenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2022, 04:39 PM   #16
Mikelff
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26851
I picked up a green handle and started pumping when the guy next to me ran over and stopped the pump. He said “you know that’s gasoline, not diesel” I said oh crap! It was less than a gallon thank God. I thanked him profusely and I called the chevy dealer and he said I would be fine as long as the rest is diesel. My tank was below 1/4 full so I filled the rest with diesel. I never go by the handle color any more. I always double check to make sure it’s diesel. I also once filled my tank with “tax free” “farm” diesel. I just saw that it was diesel and was cheap. When I was putting the nozzle back is when I noticed the difference. Glad I was just passing through and headed out of state. Lol. It’s amazing how much tax there is on fuel.
Mikelff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2022, 05:18 PM   #17
bwright
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #17756
Good catch, had the same thing happen to me with the green handle, but I filled it up without knowing. Had to replace the entire fuel system, $11,000. Luck for me, my insurance covered it except for the deductible. Ever since, I triple check and still lose a heart beat or two when I fill up.
bwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2022, 06:29 PM   #18
Jeff & Gail
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23908
Color coding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle and Lisa View Post
38 years of work experience in the oil industry.
The official colors for refined product is:
Green heating oil
Yellow diesel fuel
If you check the fuel tank man holes you will see this color. The pump handles are put on by the owner or employee and are apparantly not the correct color. Only way to bensafe is read the pump. Good luck!
Jeff & Gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2022, 06:51 PM   #19
Mark7
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19032
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikendebbie View Post

Slow day at work…
Excellent! 😁
Mark7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2022, 08:52 PM   #20
Wheelhouse
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11462
You have to be careful using untaxed fuel for truckers and farm equipment and diesel boats. These are non-highway vehicles that are exempt and taxed differently.
That diesel is RED and if you get caught using it, it is like tax evasion and serious penalties.
Wheelhouse is offline   Reply With Quote