Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 06-24-2022, 01:32 PM   #1
Robokatz
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #28338
Bed Platform Problem

I have an issue with brand new 2022 Montana, and since this is my 1st RV I am not sure what things SHOULD look like, or how they should operate.

The attached pictures are our bed platform as you face the bed. Pictures
347 and 348 are the left side of the bed as you face it. As you can see, there is a roller sticking out just a little from under the platform, and the platform is about 1" off the floor, then gets slightly lower as you move to the
where the platform attaches to the headboard area.

The other pics are the right side as you face the bed. As you can see, the platform is sitting ON the floor (so the entire platform is tilted from left to right like, although the platform slowly raises off the floor as it moves to the headboard area).

The front panel has also torn away, which I assume comes from the platform dragging on the floor as the slide was put out. I am of course now worried about tearing the floor if I try to put the slide in.

First, what SHOULD I be seeing, meaning what does a normal Montana platform look like in relation to any rollers/height off of the floor? I am guessing there should be rollers on left and right sides...should they be visible on both sides like in pic 347, or should they sit inside the sides of the platform? Can anyone send me some pictures of what a "normal" platform looks like, and if possible what it looks like UNDER the platform? Of course I also need to know the best way to get underneath to see what is going on without breaking anything. Obviously I need to remove bed, but then what?

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0347.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	12285   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0348.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	12286   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0349.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	79.3 KB
ID:	12287   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0350.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	88.8 KB
ID:	12288  

Robokatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 01:34 PM   #2
Robokatz
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #28338
Darm, the pics are not rotated correctly, sorry. How can I correct that?
Old 06-24-2022, 01:36 PM   #3
Robokatz
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #28338
Ah, when I click on a picture it opens in a few window and is correct orientation, hopefully that is the case for everyone else.

Thanks
Old 06-24-2022, 02:41 PM   #4
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
It looks to me like the roller on the bottom of the platform has either broken, or the screws have pulled out which holds it to the bottom of the bed frame, not allowing it to roll correctly.

Now, my opinion is, everything made of wood is fixable, repairable, or can be made over. But that is just me. This is an item for warranty work, for sure, but if it were mine, knowing that the wait time for any RV dealership is about 6 weeks to 2 months now, I'd tackle this one myself.

It will take some effort to dismantle the entire bed so you can finally access the bottom of the platform, but it can be done.

If you take it in for warranty repair, they will do it (eventually), but the roller will be installed exactly as it was when it came from the factory and nothing more. And it will fail again. Fixing it yourself, you can add extra bracing inside the base and use longer screws to attach the roller so it actually is connected to something solid.

I know how warranty works. The bedroom door frame on mine, literally, fell off. I took it back for warranty and they simply stapled it back to the wall. Before I got the trailer home, the frame broke from the wall again. I was furious as can be, because it took so long (like a month) and they did shoddy work. I ended up using about 3 tubes of liquid nails to hold the frame in place, a bunch of screws, and built some really tight wedges pushing against both sides of the frame with incredible force until the Liquid Nails dried. I then built a small support under the door, so with trailer bouncing, the bottom of the door would not bounce, causing the frame to break away again. Warranty repair would never fix it like that. And by the way, after 4 years, the door frame is still solid as a rock.

So, if you have the ability, fix it yourself. I think it's the roller that come unscrewed from the base, causing it not roll correctly.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 02:47 PM   #5
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
When we put a heavy mattress on our 2010 it pulled away from the wall and so I took the frame apart, reattached to the wall the way I would have if I built it and while I had it apart I added some bracing to the foot end and added two really good rollers of my own.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 02:49 PM   #6
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
I beefed up the rollers under the bed before it made dents in the follr or pulled off the wall.
MOC Post # 26
https://www.montanaowners.com/forums...t=78156&page=2

Someone recently removed the entire bed frame and replaced the lino. I cant find the post, but he included pictures.
Search on bed rollers or bed wheels.
Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 03:07 PM   #7
Robokatz
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #28338
Thanks to everyone that replied. So, the rollers are attached to the platform? I assumed (apparently in error) that they were attached to the floor. My woodworking skills are average, and I only have weekends to work with especially since RV is not at my house. I would hate to tackle and then get stuck, especially on something that should be repaired under warranty. Dealer is supposed to be calling me later today, maybe they can arrange a mobile tech to come out that would both fix and beef up, but if not then no option but for me to try. I will keep you posted.