Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 06-26-2022, 09:36 PM   #1
Tduce
Established Member

M.O.C. #31247
Furnace won’t work when plugged in but will on battery

We just recently bought our first Montana and are having an issue with the furnace. When we are plugged in, the furnace will kick on when we turn on the gas heat but it will kick off just a minute or 2 later without getting the heat up to the desired temperature. If I unplug the RV the furnace will work as it is supposed to. Has anyone had an issue with this that could provide a solution?

Tduce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 07:38 AM   #2
firestation12
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #24588
Your furnace works exclusively on 12 volts. It is sensitive to low voltage. If the voltage drops to below 11 volts (actually it's 10.?, buts lets call it 11 volts), it will quit working. The symptoms you describe are OPPOSITE of what one would expect to happen. When your camper is plugged in, the shore power (120 volts) would activate the voltage converter, which would boost the 12 volt system to somewhere above 13 volts. Your furnace should like this more than if it were operated overnight on strictly battery storage without shore power. The furnace can easily draw a weak battery's output below the 11 volt cut off point on a cold night long before morning arrives. I would suggest starting with some type of voltage display that you could monitor data during the operation of the blower. Your voltage converter may be putting out excessive voltage that the furnace control circuit board doesn't like. If this were to be the case, your batteries won't like this over voltage either. Over voltage output will boil off the water in your batteries, cause a rotten egg smell, and can damage the battery cells. Another palpable symptom of a battery being over charged is the casing of the battery will be very warm to the touch. This one is a head scratcher. As a courtesy to anyone who reaches out to help you, it's always polite to report back the solution when found. Best of luck to you!!
firestation12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 05:39 PM   #3
Tduce
Established Member

M.O.C. #31247
Thank you for the information. I will look into that and certainly update you if I get something figured out. I agree that it seems super strange the way it is happening. I took some video of what I was dealing with to the dealer but he is just as confused as the rest of us. I hope to figure something out soon.
Old 06-27-2022, 08:26 PM   #4
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Tduce, to go along with looking at the voltage, how many batteries do you have and do you have a residential fridge? If it works on battery but not on shore, that isn’t likely to be your issue. Usually the furnace will try to start 3 times, if it’s a gas issue. Has it worked on 12v before? All of the normal issues (sail switch, gas flow, low voltage) really don’t fit working on battery but not shore. Keep us posted.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 10:29 PM   #5
Tduce
Established Member

M.O.C. #31247
I have two brand new blue top batteries in it and we do. It have a residential fridge. The strangest thing is that it will come one with shore power but it only stays on for a minute or 2. When it stops it doesn’t even try to start again.
Old 06-27-2022, 10:32 PM   #6
Tduce
Established Member

M.O.C. #31247
Also we have only used the trailer for 2 weekends so far and it was a different power source each time. The 5th wheel is brand new.

Tags
furnace issues