Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 06-27-2022, 10:04 PM   #1
Rich Lazz
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #26330
scraping the top my bed

we have a 2020 RAM 3500 and a 2006 Montana the is connected with a ULTIMATE ANDERSON HITCH. When jackknifed on tight turns the bottom of the trailer rubs on the top of the bed, not by much but enough to mar it up......just once so far. My answer is to get a a taller pin on top of the hitch, or a spacer under the hitch, or lower the kingpin. Lowering the king pin is not possible, and
I was told they don't make a taller pin......or don't jack knife. I'm thinking that lowering the truck will void the warrantee.....ideas?

Rich Lazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 10:31 PM   #2
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
You can also get a new slider hitch of some sort. I also had a 2006 Montana and had no trouble with hitting the truck bed, but from a 2004 Silverado to a 2012 Silverado the truck bed went up about 2 inches and the rails went up another 1 inch, if I remember correctly. I think I adjusted the pin to gain a little. The only time you should rub the rails is if you are turning and going thru some sort of swail in the road. Normal turns shouldn't bother in any case.

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 05:40 AM   #3
Kyle and Lisa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21685
When we did our initial research before buying our rig, the clearance between cap and truck bed when hooked up should be six inches minimum. Over the years we have seen many that are not.
Kyle and Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 08:51 AM   #4
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
How much clearance do you have on level ground?

Does it rub when jackknifed on level ground? Or unlevel ground?

Seems odd it would rub on jackknifed turns unless the trailer or truck (or both) is somehow tilting a little due to side to side forces. But I can see where a little tilt could happen due to pushing the trailer sideways.
BB_TX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 10:58 AM   #5
Rich Lazz
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #26330
I think you hit on something.....the hitch tilts enough as to where on a side hill the trailer would scrap the bed......seems to have plenty of clearence on the flat.so maybe I got scraped where we were on the tilt.....and not the scotch tilt!!
THX....LAZZ & LAZZ
Old 06-28-2022, 11:10 AM   #6
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Even normal driving but crossing dips and rises such as pulling into a service station where the station drive was several inches above or below the roadway or across rain drainage channels my clearance would dip to maybe an inch or so. Never rubbed but got pretty close on occasion.
BB_TX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 11:41 AM   #7
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Lazz ... I've got two questions just to satisfy my own curiosity ... and I did read about the conclusion of only scraping when on a side hill.
1. Why couldn't you lower the pin box?
2. Both me and my son use the Andersen Ultimate as well. We both have to set it to the lowest hole in the adjustable pin or our fivers are extremely nose high with our late model Fords. Assuming you have yours in the highest hole ... aren't you pretty nose high as far as your fiver sits hooked up?

If you are using the in bed goose ball to attach the Andersen ... you can't physically put a spacer under the base ... it just won't work.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 08:00 AM   #8
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
My fifth wheel over hang has made contact with my truck bed rails only once (that I am fully aware of) and it was a hard enough hit it made a crack in my front cap. I fixed it myself as it was cosmetic.

However .... not my "bed" but my "head" has made contact many times! Ever time I come back into the camper with a new bang on my head, the wife laughs now and simply says ... "Looks like you lost some more brain cells, didn't you!"
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 10:11 AM   #9
kowbra
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26690
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Lazz View Post
we have a 2020 RAM 3500 and a 2006 Montana the is connected with a ULTIMATE ANDERSON HITCH. When jackknifed on tight turns the bottom of the trailer rubs on the top of the bed, not by much but enough to mar it up......just once so far. My answer is to get a a taller pin on top of the hitch, or a spacer under the hitch, or lower the kingpin. Lowering the king pin is not possible, and
I was told they don't make a taller pin......or don't jack knife. I'm thinking that lowering the truck will void the warrantee.....ideas?
You should be able to lower the pinbox on the trailer by using a different set of bolt holes. Have you tried that? Usually they are set to the middle set of holes.
Also, for the AUH, have you adjusted the ball to use the highest setting?
On my last rig, I raised the ball to the highest and did not have to adjust the pinbox, but I did have more adjustment there if I needed it.

Let us know, I think there should be a way to make it all work!
Brad
Old 06-29-2022, 08:25 PM   #10
Rich Lazz
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #26330
late model Dodge, pin in the highest spot, and as I look at the king pin I don't think this one has room to move......that was my first idea also...................maybe I'll just buy a Ford!!
Old 06-29-2022, 08:30 PM   #11
Rich Lazz
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #26330
pin at highest spot, and in my 2006 Monty, I don't see any room or any way to change the king pin (which is not a king pin any more because I moved to a Anderson Ultimate which I think is great.....I 'll keep tring...thanks...a longer pin was my other choice but not available
Old 06-29-2022, 08:35 PM   #12
kowbra
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26690
Quote:
late model Dodge, pin in the highest spot, and as I look at the king pin I don't think this one has room to move......that was my first idea also...................maybe I'll just buy a Ford!!
That's too bad; our 2016 RAM and AUH worked just fine.

We went with a Goosebox this time on our 2020 RAM and 3790RD. It has a lot of adjustment, and it goes right down to a ball in the bed of my box; no hitch in the bed required. It is the only non-traditional setup that Lippert and Keystone/Montana will allow that won't void the frame warranty (AUH and others like it no longer will receive frame warranty). It works very well. It has about 8" of bed rail clearance yet the trailer sits very level on the truck.

Not cheap, but cheaper than a different truck - might be worth considering?

Brad
Old 06-29-2022, 08:46 PM   #13
kowbra
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26690
Quote:
pin at highest spot, and in my 2006 Monty, I don't see any room or any way to change the king pin (which is not a king pin any more because I moved to a Anderson Ultimate which I think is great.....I 'll keep tring...thanks...a longer pin was my other choice but not available
Just to make sure we are talking about the same thing here, on your trailer where the pinbox is attached to the frame of the trailer, there should be a number of bolt holes not used. We never had a Montana before this one, so I sure don't know anything about the 2006 models, but on our Montana and on OB in the past, there was usually 3 positions for the pinbox to mount in, and usually it was in the middle position from the factory.
So, to make sure - have you looked at where the pinbox attaches to the trailer and there are not other bolt holes that could lower that pinbox down?

Thanks,
Brad
Old 06-29-2022, 08:47 PM   #14
Rich Lazz
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #26330
maybe the answer, I'm looking up GOOSEBOX now!!thx
Old 06-29-2022, 08:52 PM   #15
Rich Lazz
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #26330
yesb there are three hole but as I look up and inside the configuration doesnt allow for a change there....a pro welder might be able to but it would not be easy...
thx
Old 06-29-2022, 08:55 PM   #16
kowbra
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26690
Quote:
maybe the answer, I'm looking up GOOSEBOX now!!thx
You're welcome! This forum has been a great resource for me too, with lots of helpful folks.

Here is a link to the model we got...
https://www.reeseprod.com/product/94...eck-rv-coupler

Note it's a 20,000lb model and they make a 16,000lb model also. Like any hitch you would size up if your close; IOW, if your trailer is 13k loaded up get the 16k hitch, but if your trailer is 15k loaded, probably better to size up to the 20k.
Also, some states and provinces in Canada may consider this a "gooseneck" attachment, so may require safety chains. So a couple links to etrailer...
https://www.etrailer.com/Gooseneck-a...e/RP94720.html
and for the chains...
https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Saf...e/RP49151.html

One other note; I would recommend calling up Reese and give them the model of your trailer, and even better if you can find the model of your pinbox. Apparently, some models may need a shim kit for the goosebox to fit.

hth!
Brad
Old 06-29-2022, 08:57 PM   #17
Rich Lazz
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #26330
to quote another MOC member....LIFE IS NOT ABOUT GAS MILEAGE.....
Old 06-30-2022, 06:39 AM   #18
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
Quote:
yesb there are three hole but as I look up and inside the configuration doesnt allow for a change there....a pro welder might be able to but it would not be easy...
thx
Rich, I have a 2006 and the pin box is adjustable. I know because I removed the solid pin box and installed a Moryde pin box. The fact that you have the Anderson adapter on your pin box shouldn't effect the ability to adjust the height.
Old 07-01-2022, 06:02 AM   #19
Rich Lazz
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #26330
ok! I will check again............THX..LAZZ
Old 07-03-2022, 01:46 PM   #20
Camp CA
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25828
If you are at the highest setting on the hitch ball then I would try to lower the king pin.