Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 07-04-2022, 03:09 PM   #1
Mark T

M.O.C. #30616
grey tanks

since i'm new to a montana and my high country has a grey tank and a galley tank. When the galley tank fills first, does it overflow into the grey tank or must I empty both tanks at that point.

Mark T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 03:22 PM   #2
RipNC
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #26926
If you only have 1 dump connection, you can add a waste dump gate valve where your hose connects and close that and close the added valve then open both grey tank valves and that will combine your grey water capacity and share it between the bath and galley. Otherwise, when you galley is full just dump the galley grey tank. Don't dump batb grey until after dumping black to flush the pipes and hose.
RipNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 04:02 PM   #3
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
I looked at your profile and your unit is a 2016 305RL. If you have a single connection for your sewer hose hookup - then you have a separate pull handle for the galley gray tank. In the photo below - in the convenience center (A) you will have 2 handles - one for the black tank and one for the main gray tank. Look under the slideout and see if there is another handle pull for your galley gray tank (location B).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	93E21C8E-3EC7-40BC-9BBE-878171C58D98.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	108.9 KB
ID:	12376  
Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 06:47 PM   #4
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
The black tank and the shower tank are in the dropped portion of the frame. The galley tank is above the axles in the upper portion of the frame. I would not try to equalize the two grey water tanks. The height difference means the shower tank will fill first and then the galley tank. There have been many, many problems when a tank is filled to capacity (lids popping off). The galley tank being higher will increase the pressure in the lower shower tank as it fills making the lid popping situation worse.

You may have the roto-moulded tanks that are all one piece unlike the older tanks. They may be stronger but they haven't been out long enough to say they can handle the pressure.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 11:36 PM   #5
FreyJo
Established Member

M.O.C. #31279
check this
FreyJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 07:36 AM   #6
RipNC
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #26926
Carl,

I agree (especially regarding 2 piece tanks) it isn't a great idea but I've met folks who do it successfully. We don't dry camp much and I prefer to leave my galley tank open (obviously when hooked up) and have had no bug or odor issues (our sink is used constantly and the trap is always full of water).

However, if my memory of physics class is correct, the pressure in the bath grey tank is no different than if the tank were full and the shower drain backed up into the pipe since static water pressure is based solely on the vertical water column inches. Since our tank monitor is worthless we use the "oh crap the shower stopped draining" method for knowing we guessed wrong and it is time to drain the tank(s). That puts a +/- 36" water column of pressure in our grey tank - about 24" more than a full galley tank would.

I could be wrong (physics was a long time ago) - any hydraulic engineers out there?
RipNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 11:36 AM   #7
Mark T

M.O.C. #30616
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikendebbie View Post
I looked at your profile and your unit is a 2016 305RL. If you have a single connection for your sewer hose hookup - then you have a separate pull handle for the galley gray tank. In the photo below - in the convenience center (A) you will have 2 handles - one for the black tank and one for the main gray tank. Look under the slideout and see if there is another handle pull for your galley gray tank (location B).
Thanks for the reply. I found the handle and all is well. Life in an RV is Great!
Mark T is offline   Reply With Quote