Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 11-12-2020, 08:05 AM   #1
phillyg
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17801
Follow Up on Sofa Fabrics

I know many of us have posted about the synthetic leather fabrics, so I thought I'd show you how bad our 2016 unit is now. We last used it in July 2019. Appears the fabric deteriorates also from non-use too. If I rub my hand across it lightly, it creates a shower of particles. This photo is the arm of the recliner and the worst, but it's happening everywhere else now.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20201112_095756.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	361.7 KB
ID:	7766  

phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 08:26 AM   #2
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
Ours looks the same. It only lasted a couple years of light use. These couches are of inferior quality for the level of coach we are buying. Keystone knows it yet continues to use them. I would have paid the extra money it takes to get furniture that lasts as long as normal furniture lasts.
Old 11-12-2020, 10:32 AM   #3
R.S.O'Donnell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25842
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Man View Post
Ours looks the same. It only lasted a couple years of light use. These couches are of inferior quality for the level of coach we are buying. Keystone knows it yet continues to use them. I would have paid the extra money it takes to get furniture that lasts as long as normal furniture lasts.
Couldn't agree more!!!! For us it's either actual leather (and then only full grain) or good upholstery cloth that's passed an exhaustive durability test.
R.S.O'Donnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 06:37 PM   #4
Donjamin
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22148
Send a message via Skype™ to Donjamin
We have a 2016 3160RL Legacy and our upholstery is just starting to flake on the head rest on our two entainment chairs. I'm planning to take it a friend who does upholstery and have build new covers for our unit.

Don
2015 Ford F-250 SD 4X4
Donjamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 08:09 AM   #5
Twopetes
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17535
Started happening to ours so DW replaced it with a leather theater seat couch from Costco. About $900, electric wall hugger with several USB plugs. Nice thing about Costco is they will replace forever if problems.
Retired and Lovin’ it!
Twopetes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 02:17 PM   #6
artfuldodger
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10933
My brother and sister in law had the exact same experience with their furniture in a 2015 Mobile Suites RV a little over a year ago. The only answer was to replace with higher quality new stuff. We had heard about the problem before we bought our 2017 and opted for cloth. It still looks good.
artfuldodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 06:17 PM   #7
phillyg
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17801
So, I finally finished the two sofas with $700 worth of microfiber material. I understand why upholstery experts charge so much as it's a lot of labor time. Took me three weeks. The bigger sofa was L-shaped with a recliner on the end, and the inside corner was not really usable, so I eliminated it and put an arm on the LH end of the sofa. That leaves the corner for an end table, and we can still fit two recliners.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20210119_173205.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	154.2 KB
ID:	8296  
phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 06:41 PM   #8
sourdough
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26010
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyg View Post
So, I finally finished the two sofas with $700 worth of microfiber material. I understand why upholstery experts charge so much as it's a lot of labor time. Took me three weeks. The bigger sofa was L-shaped with a recliner on the end, and the inside corner was not really usable, so I eliminated it and put an arm on the LH end of the sofa. That leaves the corner for an end table, and we can still fit two recliners.

Congrats on that repair, it looks good! I always scoffed at "microfiber" furniture and bought leather. Needed a replacement recliner for a summer home and DW saw/found a cool recliner in a furniture store made of "microfiber" and loved it. I again scoffed but bought it. Placed it in the house and to my surprise I LOVED that chair. Felt like soft leather, wore like iron, wasn't cold when it was freezing inside....just a great covering. Hopefully yours will feel and wear like that; we really liked it.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 05:33 PM   #9
Tolomei’s

M.O.C. #21748
2016 3711FL from camping world here in Bakersfield California cost us 80k+. The upholstery started delaminating about 3 years ago and looks really bad now, it started with the recliner and now has spread to all pieces. My wife refuses to go anywhere in it. I asked keystone for help but I was told it’s normal wear and tear. In other words your on your own buddy. I would never recommend a keystone product again because I want to keep my friends. I took it this week to decide if I will sell or litigate.
Tolomei’s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 09:06 PM   #10
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
It is pretty common knowledge on all RV forums that "Pleather" covered furniture is prone to flake off after several years of use. It sucks but that is what it does on all RVs, not just Montana. In some ways, it is just like tires and brakes. They wear out and have to be replaced.

I see you complained about this exact problem 2 years ago (https://www.montanaowners.com/forums...03#post1192503). I assume the problem has only gotten worse since then. I suspect you can replace the furniture for a lot less than any attempt to sue the vendor (which has zero to none probability for success).

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 10:04 PM   #11
ARHappyCampers
Established Member

M.O.C. #23053
We have a 2015 343RL that had peeling furniture shortly after we bought it in 2018. We replaced the theater seats with new recliners that we ordered online https://www.walmart.com/ip/seort/529956270
We liked the sofa and the fold out bed (using an “egg crate” foam topper) so we decided to have it recovered at a local upholstery shop. It cost over $900 to have that done but replacing the sofa would have cost just as much or more. We chose a fabric that blended well with the window treatments. I bought some extra fabric and recovered the dining chair cushions.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ADFED13B-4E12-4519-99FB-3CE0858434BC.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	260.4 KB
ID:	12341  
ARHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 09:34 AM   #12
Tolomei’s

M.O.C. #21748
Same happening with our “2016 Flagship Montana” front living 5th wheel. The delaminating Started about 3 years ago, we would have never (and I mean never) purchased anything that had this problem and I am sure no one else would either. Seems keystones vendor who manufactured these couches should be on the hook, keystone should do their due diligence and sue the vendor for providing a faulty product. Looks like Keystone is on this site telling owners what to do themselves to fix “their” problem. A lot of lawyers also telling us we don’t have a case because this happens to everyone. I have a friend who has same year with the black couches and it’s fine. Zero delaminating so far. Face it the bonded leather they used on some of our trailers was a bad product.
Tolomei’s is offline   Reply With Quote